S7E14 The Name of the Doctor
Agamemnon
2013-05-18 23:40:37 UTC
Brilliant episode.

<SPOILERS>

Do not read until you've watched the season finale.

!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!
!

Great performance from Matt Smith. Good ones too from the other cast members
especially Richard E. Grant.

Lot's of clips from previous episodes from the classic series. Didn't manage
to spot David Tennant. Not sure if I spotted Paul McGann. Peter Davison's
appearance came from Four to Doomsday, Sylvester McCoy's from Dragonfire,
Jon Pertwee came from The Five Doctors. Need to watch it again to work out
the rest.

Going back to Gallifray to do a prequel about why the Doctor left seems to
have been ruled out now, otherwise Clara will have to be in it, unless she's
some kind of projection that the Doctor can't see but can influence his
mind, otherwise how come he didn't recognise her the moment he say her in
The Snowmen?

River Song from the Library computer shows up so this could mean that
Stephen Moffat might devise a way to bring her permanently back to life
since there's almost nowhere else to find River. Since it's established that
she's a Time Lord and the Master and Rassilon were brought back from the
Matrix and the Library computer is similar to that then she could be brought
back the same way.

The next question is, is this going to stay as the Doctor's final resting
place or will he end up changing his timeline and rewriting his future so
that it's not?

As is now the norm in the new series the assistant is expected to sacrifice
themselves in order to save the Doctor and not the other way round like in
The Caves of Androzani.

If Clara now knows who she was before as well as who all the first 11
Doctors were, then does she also know the Doctor's name, although this
episode wasn't actually about the name of the Doctor but everything that was
in the name of the Doctor.

In the final twist at the end John Hurt is introduced as the Doctor. The
question is, is he going to be playing the first incarnation of the Valayard
since the Valayard was mentioned by the Great Intelligence or is he going to
be some sort of projection like the Watcher? The only problem with being the
Valayard is that he's between the Doctors 12th and 13th regenerations they'd
have to explain why he's a regeneration early. In either case whoever his
is, whatever he does won't be in the Doctor's name. The Doctor may have
recognised him from his 10th incarnation since both Matt Smith and David
Tennant are in the anniversary special, unless he's taken a look further
down his time line and knows what's going to happen next. On the other hand
he might actually be from the Doctor's past from before he left Gallifrey
and call himself the Doctor as I was beginning to think at first.

10/10

Looking forward to the anniversery special now.
jgharston
2013-05-19 12:08:01 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
My thought at the clip of the 1st Doctor and Susan stealing the TARDIS
was: shouldn't he have looked a bit younger? How long were they
traveling before we encountered them in Foreman's Junk Yard?
Post by Agamemnon
In the final twist at the end John Hurt is introduced as the Doctor. The
question is, is he going to be playing the first incarnation of the Valayard
since the Valayard was mentioned by the Great Intelligence or is he going to
be some sort of projection like the Watcher? The only problem with being the
Valayard is that he's between the Doctors 12th and 13th regenerations they'd
have to explain why he's a regeneration early.
He could still be between 12 and 13, just because 11 encountered him
doesn't mean he has to be 11+half, he could be 12+half, even 13! Hold
on, 13 is in the tomb - ah, but the graveyard contains images of all
13 doctors, so that's the image of the final doctor whose "mortal
remains" are in the tomb.

However, about ten minutes in I did glance at the TV guide to see how
long the episode was going to be as there seemed to be too much plot
building up to fit into 45 minutes. It could certainly have done with
being a one-hour special.

JGH
Agamemnon
2013-05-19 19:33:30 UTC
Post by jgharston
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
I thought that was well.
Post by jgharston
traveling before we encountered them in Foreman's Junk Yard?
Looks like they went there straight away and since the Police Box must have
been the first form that TARDIS took after looking like a cylinder to begin
with because the Chameleon Circuit was broke.
Post by jgharston
Post by Agamemnon
In the final twist at the end John Hurt is introduced as the Doctor. The
question is, is he going to be playing the first incarnation of the Valayard
since the Valayard was mentioned by the Great Intelligence or is he going to
be some sort of projection like the Watcher? The only problem with being the
Valayard is that he's between the Doctors 12th and 13th regenerations they'd
have to explain why he's a regeneration early.
He could still be between 12 and 13, just because 11 encountered him
doesn't mean he has to be 11+half, he could be 12+half, even 13! Hold
on, 13 is in the tomb - ah, but the graveyard contains images of all
It could actually be 11 in the tomb since Clara only saw 11 Doctors. Why not
the other 2?
JGH
The Doctor
2013-05-19 20:34:59 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
13 doctors, so that's the image of the final doctor whose "mortal
remains" are in the tomb.
However, about ten minutes in I did glance at the TV guide to see how
long the episode was going to be as there seemed to be too much plot
building up to fit into 45 minutes. It could certainly have done with
being a one-hour special.
JGH
Flashbacks include

Hartnell
Troughton
Pertwee
TBaker
Davison
CBaker
McCoy

I do not recall seeing doctoros passed that.
--
Member - Liberal International This is ***@nl2k.ab.ca Ici ***@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
The false churches will conform themselves to this world's demands, seeing as they do not fear and thus do not obey God. - anon
Stephen Wilson
I've no idea who doctoros is. And what do you not recall doctoros passing?
Your Name
2013-05-20 01:19:13 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by The Doctor
Flashbacks include
Hartnell
Troughton
Pertwee
TBaker
Davison
CBaker
McCoy
I do not recall seeing doctoros passed that.
I've no idea who doctoros is. And what do you not recall doctoros passing?
Doctor "Os" (really spelt Oz, but we all know "The Doctor"'s inability to
spell correctly) is Oprah Winfrey's medical expert, who got his own
spin-off show ... I never knew he was on Doctor Who as well. ;-)
The Doctor
Tim Bruening
Day of Doctor Oz: Daleks invade daytime advice shows in the US.
The Doctor
2016-10-16 12:29:33 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Your Name
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by The Doctor
Flashbacks include
Hartnell
Troughton
Pertwee
TBaker
Davison
CBaker
McCoy
I do not recall seeing doctoros passed that.
I've no idea who doctoros is. And what do you not recall doctoros passing?
Doctor "Os" (really spelt Oz, but we all know "The Doctor"'s inability to
spell correctly) is Oprah Winfrey's medical expert, who got his own
spin-off show ... I never knew he was on Doctor Who as well. ;-)
Day of Doctor Oz: Daleks invade daytime advice shows in the US.
Oh!!
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Time for the USA to hold a referendum on its republic and vote to dissolve!!
Agamemnon
2013-05-19 21:19:31 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
13 doctors, so that's the image of the final doctor whose "mortal
remains" are in the tomb.
However, about ten minutes in I did glance at the TV guide to see how
long the episode was going to be as there seemed to be too much plot
building up to fit into 45 minutes. It could certainly have done with
being a one-hour special.
JGH
Flashbacks include
Hartnell
Troughton
Pertwee
TBaker
Davison
CBaker
McCoy
I do not recall seeing doctoros passed that.
Think we saw the back or side of number 8 and the back or side of number 9.
Don't remember seeing David Tennant's Doctor.
Stephen Wilson
2013-05-19 21:32:29 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
13 doctors, so that's the image of the final doctor whose "mortal
remains" are in the tomb.
However, about ten minutes in I did glance at the TV guide to see how
long the episode was going to be as there seemed to be too much plot
building up to fit into 45 minutes. It could certainly have done with
being a one-hour special.
JGH
Flashbacks include
Hartnell
Troughton
Pertwee
TBaker
Davison
CBaker
McCoy
I do not recall seeing doctoros passed that.
Think we saw the back or side of number 8 and the back or side of number
9. Don't remember seeing David Tennant's Doctor.
No, I don't think we did. Maybe they felt it wasn't necessary because he'll
be in the next episode. Or maybe because it's not so long since he played
the part. Maybe even because he's linked to the Hurt Doctor, although I
doubt it as Clara said she saw all 10 of his past incarnations.
Agamemnon
2013-05-19 21:59:23 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
[...]
Maybe the John Hurt Doctor is the older version of the David Tennant Doctor
on the parallel Earth?
The Doctor
2013-05-20 03:11:44 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
[...]
Something in that time line is a mystery. 6 months to ponder.
The Doctor
2013-05-20 03:08:44 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
13 doctors, so that's the image of the final doctor whose "mortal
remains" are in the tomb.
However, about ten minutes in I did glance at the TV guide to see how
long the episode was going to be as there seemed to be too much plot
building up to fit into 45 minutes. It could certainly have done with
being a one-hour special.
JGH
Flashbacks include
Hartnell
Troughton
Pertwee
TBaker
Davison
CBaker
McCoy
I do not recall seeing doctoros passed that.
Think we saw the back or side of number 8 and the back or side of number 9.
Don't remember seeing David Tennant's Doctor.
Point well taken good sir.
Stephen Wilson
2013-05-19 22:03:11 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
He could still be between 12 and 13, just because 11 encountered him
doesn't mean he has to be 11+half, he could be 12+half, even 13! Hold
on, 13 is in the tomb - ah, but the graveyard contains images of all
It could actually be 11 in the tomb since Clara only saw 11 Doctors. Why
not the other 2?
And this was another part of the problem. Clara saw 11 Doctors. We saw a
montage of clips showing Clara with past Doctors. All the fanboys get
excited. But the idea was half-baked. The idea was that Clara was meant to
have saved each of them from the damage the Great Intelligence was
inflicting on them. We never got to see the Great Intelligence at work - how
it was attacking the Doctor. We never got to see how Clara stopped it. The
only scene that had any detail was Clara directing the first Doctor and
Susan to an alternative TARDIS. So are we meant to assume it was the Great
Intelligence that tried to get them into the other TARDIS? On the other
hand, doesn't that entire scene completely contradict "the Doctor's Wife"
which was only broadcast 2 years ago? In that, it was claimed that the
Doctor and the TARDIS selected each other...

No, we don't need to be explicitly shown every single tiny little detail.
But enough to join the dots would be nice every now and then.
Agamemnon
2013-05-19 23:34:05 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
[...]
Maybe the TARDIS was controlling Clara otherwise how does she know where to
go?
Ross
2013-05-20 12:35:23 UTC
On May 19, 6:03 pm, "Stephen Wilson"
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
[...]
But look at what we did see: the literal cliffhanger from Dragonfire.
Where the seventh doctor for no discernable reason other than "We're
at the 22 minute mark and it's time for a cliffhanger" decides to
climb over a railing and dangle over the edge of an ice cliff. The
most bizarre, pointless, inexplicable cliffhanger in the show's
history.

There's your hint. Why did that happen? Because The Great
Intelligence. Why does the Doctor turn into a cowardly jackass for big
stretches of Vengeance on Varos? Because The Great Intelligence. Arc
of Infinity: Why, dear God, just WHY? Because the Great Intelligence.

Every stupid, pointless cliffhanger in forty years, every nonsensical
plot complication, every time something bad happens for NO REASON
other than to wratchet up dramatic tension, it's all BECAUSE THE GREAT
INTELLIGENCE.

(And contrarywise, every too-easy save, every plot that goes the
Doctor's way because of dumb luck, every time the Doctor gets out of
mortal peril by just deciding to stand up and not drown or whatever,
that's Because Clara Oswald)
Siri Cruise
2013-05-20 13:23:35 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
[...]
Deus ex Clara?
--
Pscyhlos do not explode when the sunlight hits them. I don't care how
crazy they are.
Charles E. Hardwidge
2013-05-20 14:00:40 UTC
Post by Siri Cruise
Post by Ross
(And contrarywise, every too-easy save, every plot that goes the
Doctor's way because of dumb luck, every time the Doctor gets out of
mortal peril by just deciding to stand up and not drown or whatever,
that's Because Clara Oswald)
Deus ex Clara?
Oops, where's my socks, Clara? Burnt the toast, Clara. The TARDIS has a flat
tyre, Clara. Peel my grapes, Clara.

Yeah, that's going to end well.
Charles E. Hardwidge
Stephen Wilson
2013-05-21 16:37:03 UTC
Post by Ross
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
[...]
Ooh, does that me we can also blame the Great Intelligence for the Billy
fluffs, wobbling scenery, dodgy CSO, Keff McCulloch's music, Richard Briers
as the caretaker, etc?
Post by Ross
(And contrarywise, every too-easy save, every plot that goes the
Doctor's way because of dumb luck, every time the Doctor gets out of
mortal peril by just deciding to stand up and not drown or whatever,
that's Because Clara Oswald)
So that will include every trained soldier, Dalek, etc that's taken a
potshot and missed...

Hmm. Maybe we need to extend this idea. James Bond needs similar
explanations, eg how he survived the waterfall and dropping through an
iced-over pond in Skyfall, etc... Of course, as James Bond has many
different appearances, it could be argued that "James Bond" is just a name
adopted by many different agents over the years... or that he's really a
Time Lord.
TB
The Great Intelligence has psychic powers. It must have fogged the Doctor's mind!
The Doctor
Tim Bruening
2016-10-15 23:40:46 UTC
Great moments: The First Doctor and Susan stealing a TARDIS, and Clara warning him that he was about to make a terrible mistake. What was the mistake?

A criminal telling Vastra that "The Doctor has a secret that he will take to the grave, and it is discovered".

Vastra calling a cross-temporal tele conference.
Tim Bruening
2016-10-15 23:50:28 UTC
Strax asking his sparring partner to knock him out so that he can attend the conference. Strax thought that it would take a while, but his sparring partner knocked him out instantly with a shovel blow to the top of the head. I had thought that the probic vent in the back of the head was the only vulnerable point!
The Doctor
2016-10-16 00:04:39 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Vastra calling a cross-temporal tele conference.
Strax asking his sparring partner to knock him out so that he can attend
the conference. Strax thought that it would take a while, but his
sparring partner knocked him out instantly with a shovel blow to the top
of the head. I had thought that the probic vent in the back of the head
was the only vulnerable point!
The start of a grand trilogy!
Tim Bruening
2016-10-16 00:20:29 UTC
Great moments: Clara being tricked into the tele conference with a sopheric laced letter.

The conference being broken up by agents of the Great Intelligence, but not before Clara learns the coordinates to Tranzalore, the Doctor's burial planet. The Doctor's friends will be lost forevermore, if he doesn't go to Tranzalore.

The Doctor going to Tranzalore, over the TARDIS' objections. He has to turn off the anti-grav to gain a landing.

The Doctor's grave, which is an expanded TARDIS.

Inside the grave is a spaghetti of glowing white strings, representing the Doctor's life journey.

The Great intelligence diving into the spaghetti to corrupt the Doctor.

Clara diving in to set things right, starting with Clara directing the 1st Doctor to a TARDIS next to the one he was planning to steal!

The Doctor diving in to extract Clara.

The Doctor showing Clara the War Doctor (John Hurt), the one he doesn't like to think about, as the War Doctor betrayed the Doctor's moral code.
The Doctor
2016-10-16 00:37:09 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
[...]
@ emotional scenes

The war camps with time children

The Dcotors all coming to the rescue of Gallifrey.

Gallifrey falls no more.
Tim Bruening
What are time children, and what are their abilities?
The Doctor
2016-10-16 12:28:28 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
[...]
You did not recall this in Day ofthe Doctor?
Tim Bruening
2016-10-16 13:21:35 UTC
I had thought that the 2.47 billion children on Gallifrey were ordinary non time traveling children. Are you contending that said children could travel in time, without TARDISes?
The Doctor
TB
She still needed a TARDIS to time travel.
The Doctor
TB
I am imagining Time Children as having the ability to travel in time without help from mechanical devices.
The Doctor
2016-10-18 20:54:30 UTC
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
The war camps with time children
What are time children, and what are their abilities?
You did not recall this in Day ofthe Doctor?
I had thought that the 2.47 billion children on Gallifrey were ordinary
non time traveling children. Are you contending that said children
could travel in time, without TARDISes?
Recall Susan.
She still needed a TARDIS to time travel.
She was a Time Tot.
I am imagining Time Children as having the ability to travel in time
without help from mechanical devices.
They are in training.
Tim Bruening
On how to time ravel without help from TARDISes or Vortex Manipulators or Time Rings?
The Doctor
2016-10-19 14:48:41 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
The war camps with time children
What are time children, and what are their abilities?
You did not recall this in Day ofthe Doctor?
I had thought that the 2.47 billion children on Gallifrey were ordinary
non time traveling children. Are you contending that said children
could travel in time, without TARDISes?
Recall Susan.
She still needed a TARDIS to time travel.
She was a Time Tot.
I am imagining Time Children as having the ability to travel in time
without help from mechanical devices.
They are in training.
On how to time ravel without help from TARDISes or Vortex Manipulators or Time Rings?
Eye of Harmony blows up.
Tim Bruening
And that enables Gallifreyan kids to time travel without mechanical devices?
The Doctor
2016-10-19 15:36:19 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Your Name
In article
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
non time traveling children. Are you contending that said children
could travel in time, without TARDISes?
Recall Susan.
She still needed a TARDIS to time travel.
She was a Time Tot.
I am imagining Time Children as having the ability to travel in time
without help from mechanical devices.
They are in training.
On how to time ravel without help from TARDISes or Vortex Manipulators or Time Rings?
Eye of Harmony blows up.
And that enables Gallifreyan kids to time travel without mechanical devices?
Gallifrey will be sucked in.
TB
This will happen during Season 10?
The Doctor
2016-10-19 23:02:24 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by Your Name
In article
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by Your Name
could travel in time, without TARDISes?
Recall Susan.
She still needed a TARDIS to time travel.
She was a Time Tot.
I am imagining Time Children as having the ability to travel in time
without help from mechanical devices.
They are in training.
On how to time ravel without help from TARDISes or Vortex Manipulators
or Time Rings?
Eye of Harmony blows up.
And that enables Gallifreyan kids to time travel without mechanical devices?
Gallifrey will be sucked in.
This will happen during Season 10?
no.
Tim Bruening
Then on what do you predict your Gallifrey sucking prediction?
The Doctor
2016-12-26 00:15:01 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by Your Name
In article
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by TB
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Gallifrey will be sucked in.
This will happen during Season 10?
no.
Then on what do you predict your Gallifrey sucking prediction?
Not into a black hole.
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Merry Christmas 2016 and Happy New Year 2017
Tim Bruening
2016-12-25 16:38:48 UTC
How did the War Doctor get to Tranzalore?
The Doctor
2016-12-26 00:14:37 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
How did the War Doctor get to Tranzalore?
He did not.
Tim Bruening
2016-12-26 00:58:35 UTC
I saw him with my own two eyes!
The Doctor
2016-12-26 01:27:00 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
How did the War Doctor get to Tranzalore?
He did not.
I saw him with my own two eyes!
In the Docotr's Time Line!
Tim Bruening
2016-12-26 03:57:48 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
How did the War Doctor get to Tranzalore?
He did not.
I saw him with my own two eyes!
In the Docotr's Time Line!
I saw the War Doctor standing on Transzalore with my own two eyes at the end of this episode!

Why hadn't Clara ever seen the War Doctor during her travels through the Doctor's timeline?
The Doctor
2016-12-26 15:27:34 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
How did the War Doctor get to Tranzalore?
He did not.
I saw him with my own two eyes!
In the Docotr's Time Line!
I saw the War Doctor standing on Transzalore with my own two eyes at the end of this episode!
Why hadn't Clara ever seen the War Doctor during her travels through the Doctor's timeline?
That was not Transelore! That was in the Doctor's Time Line!
Tim Bruening
After the Doctor rescued Clara, they would still have been on Transzalore. Just after the rescue, Clara then spotted the War Doctor. The Doctor and Clara would STILL have been on Transzalore at the time. Therefore, so would the War Doctor, so how did the War Doctor get to Transzalore?
The Doctor
2016-12-26 16:17:44 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
How did the War Doctor get to Tranzalore?
He did not.
I saw him with my own two eyes!
In the Docotr's Time Line!
I saw the War Doctor standing on Transzalore with my own two eyes at the
end of this episode!
Why hadn't Clara ever seen the War Doctor during her travels through the
Doctor's timeline?
That was not Transelore! That was in the Doctor's Time Line!
After the Doctor rescued Clara, they would still have been on
Transzalore. Just after the rescue, Clara then spotted the War Doctor.
The Doctor and Clara would STILL have been on Transzalore at the time.
Therefore, so would the War Doctor, so how did the War Doctor get to
Transzalore?
There was no explantion on how the Dxcotor and Clara got out of the Time
Line back to Transelore.

Still the War Doctor was seen not on Transelore.
Tim Bruening
2016-12-26 21:54:07 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
How did the War Doctor get to Tranzalore?
He did not.
I saw him with my own two eyes!
In the Docotr's Time Line!
I saw the War Doctor standing on Transzalore with my own two eyes at the
end of this episode!
Why hadn't Clara ever seen the War Doctor during her travels through the
Doctor's timeline?
That was not Transelore! That was in the Doctor's Time Line!
After the Doctor rescued Clara, they would still have been on
Transzalore. Just after the rescue, Clara then spotted the War Doctor.
The Doctor and Clara would STILL have been on Transzalore at the time.
Therefore, so would the War Doctor, so how did the War Doctor get to
Transzalore?
There was no explantion on how the Dxcotor and Clara got out of the Time
Line back to Transelore.
The Doctor had Clara orient on her leaf.
How do we know that the Doctor and Clara had departed Transzalore by that scene? I don't recall them boarding the TARDIS.
The Doctor
2016-12-26 22:48:47 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Still the War Doctor was seen not on Transelore.
How do we know that the Doctor and Clara had departed Transzalore by
that scene? I don't recall them boarding the TARDIS.
Exactly!! THe Dcotor had to enter his time line when it all happened.
Tim Bruening
So now the trip to visit the Doctor's grave never happened?
The Doctor
2017-01-02 02:06:04 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Your Name
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
end of this episode!
Why hadn't Clara ever seen the War Doctor during her travels
through the
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Doctor's timeline?
Post by The Doctor
Still the War Doctor was seen not on Transelore.
How do we know that the Doctor and Clara had departed Transzalore by
that scene? I don't recall them boarding the TARDIS.
Exactly!! THe Dcotor had to enter his time line when it all happened.
So now the trip to visit the Doctor's grave never happened?
Exactly! As proven in the Day of the Dalek.
Tim Bruening
2018-01-24 07:08:13 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Your Name
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
end of this episode!
Why hadn't Clara ever seen the War Doctor during her travels
through the
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Doctor's timeline?
And his grave is no longer on Transzalore?
The Doctor
2018-01-24 14:44:41 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Your Name
In article
On Sunday, December 25, 2016 at 4:14:37 PM UTC-8, The
Post by Your Name
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
end of this episode!
Why hadn't Clara ever seen the War Doctor during her travels
through the
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Doctor's timeline?
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Still the War Doctor was seen not on Transelore.
How do we know that the Doctor and Clara had departed Transzalore by
that scene? I don't recall them boarding the TARDIS.
Exactly!! THe Dcotor had to enter his time line when it all happened.
So now the trip to visit the Doctor's grave never happened?
Exactly! As proven in the Day of the Dalek.
And his grave is no longer on Transzalore?
Correct.
Birthday 29 Jan 1969 BOrn Redhill,Surrey,England , UK!
Timothy Bruening
2018-03-01 00:49:13 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Your Name
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
end of this episode!
Why hadn't Clara ever seen the War Doctor during her travels
through the
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Doctor's timeline?
Which episode was that.
The Doctor
2018-03-01 02:05:28 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Your Name
In article
On Sunday, December 25, 2016 at 4:14:37 PM UTC-8, The
Post by Your Name
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
end of this episode!
Why hadn't Clara ever seen the War Doctor during her travels
through the
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Doctor's timeline?
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by The Doctor
Still the War Doctor was seen not on Transelore.
How do we know that the Doctor and Clara had departed Transzalore by
that scene? I don't recall them boarding the TARDIS.
Exactly!! THe Dcotor had to enter his time line when it all happened.
So now the trip to visit the Doctor's grave never happened?
Exactly! As proven in the Day of the Dalek.
Which episode was that.
?Never seen that one?
It is easier to stay out than get out. -Mark Twain
Tim Bruening
2017-01-02 01:21:55 UTC
How did Strax's sparring partner knock him out so fast? It didn't look to me like the shovel had hit the probic vent.
The Doctor
2017-01-02 02:06:38 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
How did Strax's sparring partner knock him out so fast? It didn't look
to me like the shovel had hit the probic vent.
He was that willing.
Tim Bruening
By projecting thoughts into the Doctor's mind.
The Doctor
2016-10-16 12:30:25 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
Post by TB
Post by Stephen Wilson
[...]
Or interfering with the Doctor's timeline.
Timothy Bruening
By thinking at him.
The Doctor
2018-04-17 13:51:14 UTC
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by TB
Post by Ross
[...]
And distorting time.
Genius without education is like silver in the mine. -Benjamin Franklin
Timothy Bruening
So GI caused the above by tweaking Doctor's timeline?
The Doctor
2018-03-29 12:39:12 UTC
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Ross
[...]
Until Clara corrected everything.
You can't have everything. Where would you put it? -Steven Wright
Timothy Bruening
2019-02-25 04:47:20 UTC
S07E14. S7E14.
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
[...]
So THAT'S why

I: The New Doctor regenerates in the counsel room of a moving TARDIS, causing it to go haywire,

and II: Never thinks to develop a remote for the TARDIS in spite of being hit over the head with the need for a remote by being cut off from the TARDIS over and over?
The Doctor
2019-02-25 13:49:18 UTC
S07E14. S7E14.
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by Agamemnon
Post by jgharston
[...]
IS that what you conclude?
Be charitable before wealth makes thee covetous. -Sir Thomas Browne
Timothy Bruening
I can't think of any other logical reasons for the above meta nits!
Your Name
2013-05-19 21:18:06 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
TV shows are mostly made to fit within network time schedules of "1/2 an
hour" and "1 hour" (including adverts). The best that could happen is that
it would have to be a two-part episode.
Stephen Wilson
2013-05-19 21:46:34 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
TV shows in Britain aren't, and never have been. And the BBC has never had
adverts. But because Dr Who is one of its best sellers, modern Dr Who is
made as 45 minute episodes to pander to oversea networks which pad it out to
1 hour with the inclusion of adverts.

But even during Tennant's era, several episodes exceeded 45 minutes -
probably because RTD was able to stand his ground and insist that those
episodes could not be edited down any further. And the specials varied
anywhere between 60 minutes and 75 minutes.
Your Name
2013-05-20 01:21:34 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by Your Name
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
Which is exactly what I just said - shows are mostly made to fit the
half-hour or 1-hour timeframe (including adverts). :-\
Post by Stephen Wilson
But even during Tennant's era, several episodes exceeded 45 minutes -
probably because RTD was able to stand his ground and insist that those
episodes could not be edited down any further. And the specials varied
anywhere between 60 minutes and 75 minutes.
I did say "mostly". There have been episodes of Top Gear that play longer
as well.
Ross
2013-05-20 12:26:01 UTC
Post by jgharston
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
Susan is generally thought to be about the age she appears, which
means that they couldn't have been traveling more than a couple of
decades. There are decades in a *human's* life where they only visibly
age a little. 'The Impossible Astronaut' established that the Doctor
can go a couple of hundred years without aging visibly, and 'Let's
Kill Hitler' implies that Time Lords have some degree of conscious
control over the appearance of aging. I don't see much reason that the
Doctor would look noticably younger at 420 than he does at 440.
Mark Evans
2013-05-19 12:07:16 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
Considering the costumes they showed her in I was thinking something along
the lines of "Quantum Leap". So that The Doctor (and anyone else) would see
Susan, Sarah Jane, Ace, etc.
Post by Agamemnon
River Song from the Library computer shows up so this could mean that
Stephen Moffat might devise a way to bring her permanently back to life
since there's almost nowhere else to find River. Since it's established that
Possibly an android (or Tesselector) body.
Post by Agamemnon
she's a Time Lord and the Master and Rassilon were brought back from the
Matrix and the Library computer is similar to that then she could be brought
back the same way.
Presumably they had The Master's DNA/Biodata stored as well as his conciousness.
With Rassilon never being dead in the first place.
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
My theory is that John Hurt is between Paul McGann and Christopher Eccleston.
The incarnation involved in the time war. Which ties up with the book Clara
read his name in. (There's also an obvious parallel with Joran Dax from ST:DS9).
Agamemnon
2013-05-19 19:23:55 UTC
Post by Mark Evans
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
That would work for Dalek Oswin/Clara but not for Victorian Clara.
Post by Mark Evans
Post by Agamemnon
River Song from the Library computer shows up so this could mean that
Stephen Moffat might devise a way to bring her permanently back to life
since there's almost nowhere else to find River. Since it's established that
Possibly an android (or Tesselector) body.
That would have obvious limitations, like not being able to consummate their
marriage properly.
Post by Mark Evans
Post by Agamemnon
she's a Time Lord and the Master and Rassilon were brought back from the
Matrix and the Library computer is similar to that then she could be brought
back the same way.
Presumably they had The Master's DNA/Biodata stored as well as his conciousness.
With Rassilon never being dead in the first place.
They expressly said that Rassilon was brought back the same way as the
Master.
Post by Mark Evans
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
Possible since Eccleston declined taking part in the anniversary special and
if it's being set during the Time War.
Tim Bruening
2016-10-16 04:09:10 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
Post by Agamemnon
River Song from the Library computer shows up so this could mean that
Stephen Moffat might devise a way to bring her permanently back to life
since there's almost nowhere else to find River. Since it's established that
Possibly an android (or Tesselector) body.
That would have obvious limitations, like not being able to consummate their
marriage properly.
Can't androids or Tesselectors be equipped with vaginas?

I would clone River Song and download her memories from the Library Computer.
The Doctor
Timothy Bruening
Why can't androids be made with sexual equipment?
The Doctor
2018-03-29 12:38:01 UTC
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
Post by Agamemnon
Brilliant episode.
River Song from the Library computer shows up so this could mean that
Stephen Moffat might devise a way to bring her permanently back to life
since there's almost nowhere else to find River. Since it's established that
Possibly an android (or Tesselector) body.
That would have obvious limitations, like not being able to consummate their
marriage properly.
Why can't androids be made with sexual equipment?
To carry chromosomes ...
You can't have everything. Where would you put it? -Steven Wright
Timothy Bruening
Why should that stand in way?
The Doctor
2018-04-16 20:49:12 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
Brilliant episode.
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
marriage properly.
Why can't androids be made with sexual equipment?
To carry chromosomes ...
Why should that stand in way?
no chromosomes in a droid.
Do the thing we fear, and death of fear is certain. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Timothy Bruening
There is a law against giving droids that lack chromosomes sexual equipment?
The Doctor
2018-04-17 02:51:39 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
Brilliant episode.
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
Post by Agamemnon
since there's almost nowhere else to find River. Since it's
established
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
that
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
marriage properly.
Why can't androids be made with sexual equipment?
To carry chromosomes ...
Why should that stand in way?
no chromosomes in a droid.
There is a law against giving droids that lack chromosomes sexual equipment?
Oh?
Genius without education is like silver in the mine. -Benjamin Franklin
Timothy Bruening
2018-04-17 04:38:03 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
Brilliant episode.
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
Post by Agamemnon
since there's almost nowhere else to find River. Since it's
established
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
that
You listed "no chromosomes in a droid" as a reason barring droids from being given sexual equipment. The logical inference is that there is a law against it, since I see no technological reason for a lack of chromosomes in a droid to make droid sex equipment impossible!
The Doctor
2018-04-17 13:49:21 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
Brilliant episode.
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
Post by Agamemnon
since there's almost nowhere else to find River. Since it's
established
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
that
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
marriage properly.
Why can't androids be made with sexual equipment?
To carry chromosomes ...
Why should that stand in way?
no chromosomes in a droid.
There is a law against giving droids that lack chromosomes sexual equipment?
Oh?
You listed "no chromosomes in a droid" as a reason barring droids from
being given sexual equipment. The logical inference is that there is a
law against it, since I see no technological reason for a lack of
chromosomes in a droid to make droid sex equipment impossible!
So how do you programme chromosomes into an android?
Genius without education is like silver in the mine. -Benjamin Franklin
Timothy Bruening
2018-04-17 19:09:42 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
Brilliant episode.
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
Post by Agamemnon
since there's almost nowhere else to find River. Since it's
established
Post by The Doctor
Post by Agamemnon
Post by The Doctor
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Mark Evans
that
Perhaps male & female androids could have electronic sex to combine "half-files" to create a program from which a baby android can be made. See "Code Of The Lifemaker" by James P Hogan.
Timothy Bruening
The Husbands Of River Song: King Hydraflax speaks of nights of passion, which means he has sexual equipment!
The Doctor
Genius without education is like silver in the mine. -Benjamin Franklin
Stephen Wilson
2013-05-19 12:23:26 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Great performance from Matt Smith. Good ones too from the other cast
members especially Richard E. Grant.
Yeah. Until he disappeared.
Post by Agamemnon
Lot's of clips from previous episodes from the classic series. Didn't
manage to spot David Tennant. Not sure if I spotted Paul McGann. Peter
Davison's appearance came from Four to Doomsday, Sylvester McCoy's from
Dragonfire, Jon Pertwee came from The Five Doctors. Need to watch it again
to work out the rest.
Why did seeing any of those clips make the story any good? There was no
interaction between the Great Intelligence or Clara. We saw a few clips of
the Doctor. But so what? The only one which seemed to be relevant was Clara
with the first Doctor. In that, she pointed him to the right TARDIS. But if
Clara hadn't been there, then the proper course would have been for the
Doctor to have picked the faulty TARDIS, in which case he'd never have got
to meet Clara. Grandfather paradox all over! Literally in this case.

Talking of Clara, when she got split into a million copies, this must mean
there are a million Claras scattered through time and space. Strange we've
only seen 2 of them - and those 2 seemed to have real lives, and neither
recognised the Doctor or knew what they were meant to be doing. And what
happens to these copies once they've done their jobs? Are they all
genetically identical? In which case does this mean they've replaced other
babies in the wombs of their mothers?
Post by Agamemnon
Going back to Gallifray to do a prequel about why the Doctor left seems to
have been ruled out now, otherwise Clara will have to be in it, unless
she's some kind of projection that the Doctor can't see but can influence
his mind, otherwise how come he didn't recognise her the moment he say her
in The Snowmen?
I don't believe there were any plans to do a prequel - apart from a propsed
spinoff a few years ago about a teenage Doctor that RTD (thankfully) vetoed.
Post by Agamemnon
River Song from the Library computer shows up so this could mean that
Stephen Moffat might devise a way to bring her permanently back to life
since there's almost nowhere else to find River. Since it's established
that she's a Time Lord and the Master and Rassilon were brought back from
the Matrix and the Library computer is similar to that then she could be
brought back the same way.
I've still no idea how/why she turned up. If she could do so this easily,
why hasn't she done so before?
Post by Agamemnon
The next question is, is this going to stay as the Doctor's final resting
place or will he end up changing his timeline and rewriting his future so
that it's not?
I doubt Moffat's given it a second thought.
Post by Agamemnon
As is now the norm in the new series the assistant is expected to
sacrifice themselves in order to save the Doctor and not the other way
round like in The Caves of Androzani.
Except the assistant doesn't, does she? The only time one has actually died
was Clara - and it's now been revealed they were only copes.
Post by Agamemnon
If Clara now knows who she was before as well as who all the first 11
Doctors were, then does she also know the Doctor's name, although this
episode wasn't actually about the name of the Doctor but everything that
was in the name of the Doctor.
Who knows? Another loose thread that will probably never be resolved.
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
He won't be the Valeyard. I'm not going to try and second-guess Moffat's
thinking on this one. But seems to me like he'll be Moffat's equivalent of
the Valeyard.
Post by Agamemnon
10/10
Irrelevant score.
Post by Agamemnon
Looking forward to the anniversery special now.
Another 6 months to go. I do hope it's a little more special than this
was...
¡Gölök Z.L.F Buday AKA The Black Jester AKA The Voltairian
2013-05-30 11:40:10 UTC
On Sun, 19 May 2013 00:40:37 +0100, in rec.arts.drwho "Agamemnon" <***@hello.to.NO_SPAM> wrote:

¡Brilliant episode.
¡
¡<SPOILERS>
¡
¡Do not read until you've watched the season finale.
¡
¡!
¡
[...]

Valyard is far from right especially to those who recognize this Time War crap, but he also looked nothing like that
and it was a prosecutorial title, oh it was destroyed before the temporal anomole was given the Doctor's lives by the High Council.

Merlin is a name not to have come up at all since Battlefield was it? He was recognized but in another aspect, perhaps he kills the
guy and leaves himself a note. Then gets stuck in ice.

Also what he did in some cases could be in the name of the Celestial Intelligence Agency, his people, et al.... not just a name of personal
distinction. Name of Earth (mother's planet).
Brian
2013-05-30 14:03:44 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Brilliant episode.
<SPOILERS>
Do not read until you've watched the season finale.
!
Just seen it broadcasted in my country.

What interested me was that the first doctor was in colour in 'The name of
the Doctor' story
Far as I know all episodes of the first doctor was recorded in black and
white so I suspect it was coloured.
Regards Brian
Stephen Wilson
2013-05-30 16:31:49 UTC
Post by Brian
Post by Agamemnon
Brilliant episode.
<SPOILERS>
Do not read until you've watched the season finale.
!
Just seen it broadcasted in my country.
What interested me was that the first doctor was in colour in 'The name of
the Doctor' story
Far as I know all episodes of the first doctor was recorded in black and
white so I suspect it was coloured.
No shit, Sherlock! There was a brief clip of a lookalike but the main clip
was taken from the Aztecs. There are better examples of what can be done by
fans on YouTube (look up Babelcolour).
solar penguin
2013-05-30 18:24:52 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
No shit, Sherlock! There was a brief clip of a lookalike but the main
clip was taken from the Aztecs. There are better examples of what can be
done by fans on YouTube
I've seen Laurel & Hardy shorts that were colourised better than the
Hartnell clip. That's how bad it was.
(look up Babelcolour).
Your Name
2013-05-30 21:06:52 UTC
Post by solar penguin
Post by Stephen Wilson
No shit, Sherlock! There was a brief clip of a lookalike but the main
clip was taken from the Aztecs. There are better examples of what can be
done by fans on YouTube
(look up Babelcolour).
I've seen Laurel & Hardy shorts that were colourised better than the
Hartnell clip. That's how bad it was.
Most of the old inserts weren't very well done, but then it is TV, so
there's not a massive budget for such things and the original footage
wasn't brilliant quality to start with.
Ross
2013-06-01 01:29:21 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by solar penguin
Post by Stephen Wilson
No shit, Sherlock! There was a brief clip of a lookalike but the main
clip was taken from the Aztecs. There are better examples of what can be
done by fans on YouTube
 (look up Babelcolour).
I've seen Laurel & Hardy shorts that were colourised better than the
Hartnell clip.  That's how bad it was.
Most of the old inserts weren't very well done, but then it is TV, so
there's not a massive budget for such things and the original footage
wasn't brilliant quality to start with.
All the old footage she's been inserted into is done slightly
clumsily, and the strange composite of her in the park with stand-ins
running past her dressed as previous doctors is even clumsier. I
suspect that it's not that they screwed up, I think they were
deliberately going for an artistic effect to make it seem less like
"This is those bits of the Doctor's past brought back to life before
your eyes" and more like "Clara really has been surgically inserted
back into past *episodes of Doctor Who*," and therefore she's inserted
as if she'd been inserted into the original footage at the time, using
the same techniques they would have used when that footage was shot,
so poorly-done CSO for the 70s stuff, and hand-colorized film insets
for the 60s stuff. Maybe even a stock Video Toaster effect for the
80s. It all goes hand-in-hand with the idea from last season that the
"Oldest question in the universe" is the one that was first asked by
TV viewers on November 23, 1963. And it also ties in with having the
credits step through the fourth wall in the last scene. For the
fiftieth anniversary of the show, Moffatt is playing with the
boundaries between the in-universe world and the out-of-universe
world. Which is actually sort of in keeping with the early days of the
program too (Like, remember: the very first time The Doctor has to
explain how the TARDIS can be bigger on the inside than the outside,
he compares it to the way you can see a whole world *inside a
television*.)
solar penguin
2013-06-01 08:01:23 UTC
Post by Ross
All the old footage she's been inserted into is done slightly
clumsily, and the strange composite of her in the park with stand-ins
running past her dressed as previous doctors is even clumsier. I
suspect that it's not that they screwed up, I think they were
deliberately going for an artistic effect to make it seem less like
"This is those bits of the Doctor's past brought back to life before
your eyes" and more like "Clara really has been surgically inserted
back into past *episodes of Doctor Who*," and therefore she's inserted
as if she'd been inserted into the original footage at the time, using
the same techniques they would have used when that footage was shot,
So why wasn't the Hartnell scene in pure black-and-white with obvious
use of a Hartnell lookalike who looks northing like Hartnell at all?
Post by Ross
so poorly-done CSO for the 70s stuff, and hand-colorized film insets
for the 60s stuff.
Have you ever seen old, hand-coloured film? The colours literally
have to be painted onto each frame at a time, so they're not
consistent from frame to frame, and seem to flicker and move with a
life of their own.

The colours in the Hartnell scene didn't do that. It was more like a
very crappy computer colourisation. Because it was a crappy computer
colourisation.
Post by Ross
Maybe even a stock Video Toaster effect for the
80s. It all goes hand-in-hand with the idea from last season that the
"Oldest question in the universe" is the one that was first asked by
TV viewers on November 23, 1963. And it also ties in with having the
credits step through the fourth wall in the last scene. For the
fiftieth anniversary of the show, Moffatt is playing with the
boundaries between the in-universe world and the out-of-universe
world. Which is actually sort of in keeping with the early days of the
program too (Like, remember: the very first time The Doctor has to
explain how the TARDIS can be bigger on the inside than the outside,
he compares it to the way you can see a whole world *inside a
television*.)
I'll believe you if the special ends with Smith wishing a happy
anniversary to all of us at home!
The Doctor
2013-05-30 18:54:32 UTC
Post by Brian
Post by Agamemnon
Brilliant episode.
<SPOILERS>
Do not read until you've watched the season finale.
!
Just seen it broadcasted in my country.
What interested me was that the first doctor was in colour in 'The name of
the Doctor' story
Far as I know all episodes of the first doctor was recorded in black and
white so I suspect it was coloured.
Computer colourisatino I think.
Post by Brian
--
Regards Brian
Timothy Bruening
But her parents are card carrying homo sapiens!
The Doctor
2018-07-07 15:17:19 UTC
Post by Timothy Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Brilliant episode.
River Song from the Library computer shows up so this could mean that
Stephen Moffat might devise a way to bring her permanently back to life
since there's almost nowhere else to find River. Since it's established that
she's a Time Lord and the Master and Rassilon were brought back from the
Matrix and the Library computer is similar to that then she could be brought
back the same way.
But her parents are card carrying homo sapiens!
So?
By the work one knows the workmen. -Jean De La Fontaine