1st Season Dr. Who - The End of the World - 5 star poll - SPOILERS AHOY !
2006-03-18 02:51:36 UTC
"The End of the World"
3-17-06 DrW
5 stars (never)
0-1 stars (now)
-George
Please do not forget us in r.a.dw and uk.media.tv.sf.drwho
--
Member - Liberal International
This is ***@nl2k.ab.ca Ici ***@nl2k.ab.ca
Canada's New CONservatives - Same old Tory.
The Doctor
2006-03-18 02:53:46 UTC
"The End of the World"
3-17-06 DrW
5 stars (never)
0-1 stars (now)
-George
4.4 (ever)
..
Gracious me.
The Doctor
2006-03-18 14:48:03 UTC
2.75
Sadly, just a small tick up from the opener.
Still unimpressed.
Ken (Brooklyn)
Need to induct this mate slowly.
The Doctor
2006-03-18 14:48:48 UTC
2.75
Sadly, just a small tick up from the opener.
Still unimpressed.
Ken (Brooklyn)
If this is indeed the first time you've seen these episodes, I'd say
hold out until Episode 6. That's when I thought things really took
off, for the most part.
Not a Charles Dickens fan I see.
The Doctor
2006-03-18 14:51:53 UTC
"The End of the World"
3-17-06 DrW
I'm disappointed to see that the corniness that pretty-much ruined the
final seasons of the first incarnation has survived the trip through
time. Stretchy-faced divorcees, cosmic blue plumbers and "have a nice
day" parking tickets would have been right at home in the Paradise
Towers. Ick.
I'm going to trust everyone who says that it does get better. I
certainly hope it does. The whole point of reviving the franchise was
to do it right. Digging up JNT's corpse and reviving all of the icky,
silly things he brought to the franchise is NOT the way to do it.
EofW is just eech!
The Doctor
2006-03-18 14:53:00 UTC
"The End of the World"
3-17-06 DrW
5 stars (never)
0-1 stars (now)
-George
3.8. Didn't like this as much as the first one. Poor tree lady, though!
I did wonder if the Doctor took Rose to the end of her world so that
she might have some empathy of what it was like for him to be
the last one when he world came to an end.
Alane
And then there were the references of concubine and prostitute.
The Doctor
2006-03-18 14:54:20 UTC
"The End of the World"
3-17-06 DrW
I'm disappointed to see that the corniness that pretty-much ruined the
final seasons of the first incarnation has survived the trip through
time. Stretchy-faced divorcees, cosmic blue plumbers and "have a nice
day" parking tickets would have been right at home in the Paradise
Towers. Ick.
I'm going to trust everyone who says that it does get better. I
certainly hope it does. The whole point of reviving the franchise was
to do it right. Digging up JNT's corpse and reviving all of the icky,
silly things he brought to the franchise is NOT the way to do it.
I dunno, I liked some of the touches that these early episodes have,
though what really makes it work for me are the characters and some
great acting. And well, it wouldn't be Dr. Who if it weren't a little
cheesy and corny, would it? That has always been a element of the
show. However, the show does get much, much better as it goes along,
especially once Captain Jack is on board.
Anthony
Jack is interesting!!
The Doctor
2006-03-18 14:55:39 UTC
"The End of the World"
3-17-06 DrW
5 stars (never)
0-1 stars (now)
-George
3
Vintage Dr. Who with modernish sfx.
Now THERE is a line.
The Doctor
2006-03-18 14:59:06 UTC
4.5
I loved the ending the most. Very poetic about life and death.
What about the remark of the Doctor's Planet lost in a Time War?
The Doctor
2006-03-18 15:01:49 UTC
5 stars
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
The Doctor says that his home planet (Gallefrey) was destroyed in a
war. Since his people were capable of time travel, why didn't they go
back in time to thwart the attack on Gallefrey the moment they detected
the enemy ships approaching?
How did the enemy get through the planet's defensive force field (which
was breached in "The Invasion of Time only because the Doctor had K9
sabotage it)?
Point well taken. Still more paradoxes exist.

And then there is the opening dialogue in Genesis of the Daleks.
Stanley H. Tweedle
2006-03-18 20:31:52 UTC
My assumption is that the destruction of the Timelords is a new development
and wasn't mentioned in the original series (I didn't see every episode,
especially the later ones). So, it would appear that we aren't supposed to
know how they could have lost the war. But, it is called a Time War and
seems likely that both sides would be evenly matched and both have extremely
advanced technology. The Doctor strongly cautions against altering your own
past as will occur later in the season. It causes big paradox problems. I
think they will slowly give more information and eventually we will get a
Time War episode.
The Doctor
2006-03-18 22:07:59 UTC
Post by The Doctor
[...]
Spoiler:

The Destruction of Gallifrey happens after DW: The Television Movie
and Rose.

Still, these writers wanting to see Gallifrey destroyed.

They got the wrong target. The BBC Management roles all should
be abolished instead.
John Campbell Rees
2006-03-19 14:43:04 UTC
During the course of this discussion, "Stanley H. Tweedle"
Post by Stanley H. Tweedle
My assumption is that the destruction of the Timelords is a new development
and wasn't mentioned in the original series (I didn't see every episode,
especially the later ones).
That is a correct assumption. Although some major events from the
Time War will be revealed by the end of Series One (27), a lot of the
minor details are left blank. This is an attempt by the current
Production Team at BBCWales to restore some of mystery to "Doctor
Who".
--
"Like shooting flies with a laser cannon, the aims a bit tricky, but
it certainly deals with the flies." - Lord Miles Vorkosigan.
To read my Web Log visit http://www.gardd-lelog.org.uk
The Doctor
2006-03-19 21:06:21 UTC
Post by Stanley H. Tweedle
My assumption is that the destruction of the Timelords is a new development
and wasn't mentioned in the original series (I didn't see every episode,
especially the later ones).
That is a correct assumption. Although some major events from the
Time War will be revealed by the end of Series One (27), a lot of the
minor details are left blank. This is an attempt by the current
Production Team at BBCWales to restore some of mystery to "Doctor
Who".
Even more of a mystery: Have can you time travel without Gallifrey?
David Johnston
Why would you need Gallifrey?
The Doctor
2006-03-19 21:41:03 UTC
Post by David Johnston
Post by Stanley H. Tweedle
My assumption is that the destruction of the Timelords is a new development
and wasn't mentioned in the original series (I didn't see every episode,
especially the later ones).
That is a correct assumption. Although some major events from the
Time War will be revealed by the end of Series One (27), a lot of the
minor details are left blank. This is an attempt by the current
Production Team at BBCWales to restore some of mystery to "Doctor
Who".
Even more of a mystery: Have can you time travel without Gallifrey?
Why would you need Gallifrey?
Check Doctor Who: The Deadly Assassin.
The Doctor
2006-03-18 22:50:54 UTC
4.5
I loved the ending the most. Very poetic about life and death.
The ending was good right up until "I smell chips. Do you smell chips?
I want chips."
Total non-sequiter seemingly thrown in because the writers couldn't
think of a closing line. Jarring and awkward. Boo.
Still the Doctor ponders 'The End of Gallifrey'.
The Doctor
2006-03-18 22:55:34 UTC
[...]
Isn't the Doctor limited when it comes to changing things that happened in
his
own time stream? Say, for instance, he meets Rose Tyler while he's trying
save the Earth. But even if he hadn't wanted her to know who he was, he
couldn't go back in time and prevented himself from meeting her.
Alane
I don't think so. If he could of he could of saved Turlogh before he crashed
into Earth.
Adric, not Turlough. Still there are some paradoxes.
The Doctor
2006-03-18 22:56:46 UTC
The whole point of reviving the franchise was
to do it right.
Was it? I haven't read any of the press on the revival, so I wasn't
expecting a "reimagining" like the new Battlestar Gallactica. I'm
looking for something like what I remember from when I watched it two
decades ago, with perhaps better effects due to modern technology. But
if it's not corny, it's not "Doctor Who" -- it was never intended to be
a serious SF show, and shouldn't be one now.
DW is just pickin up from where it left off.

BSG is a total redo!
The Doctor
2006-03-19 21:39:41 UTC
On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 02:24:16 GMT, Captain Infinity
The ending was good right up until "I smell chips. Do you smell chips?
I want chips."
Total non-sequiter seemingly thrown in because the writers couldn't
think of a closing line. Jarring and awkward. Boo.
It's a British thing.
Well if *that's* the rule then I expect we'll see an old fat man being
chased by a handful of scantily clad young ladies (accompanied by the
lingeringly irritating tones of "Yackety Sax") any show now.
We can only be grateful that John Nathan Turner is no longer around to
commission an episode containing this scene.
thankfully!