1st Season Dr. Who - Aliens of London - 5 star poll - SPOILERS AHOY !
g***@comcast.net
2006-04-01 03:24:30 UTC
"Aliens of London"
3-31-06 Dr. Who

5 stars (Elliott)

0-1 stars (Kane)

-George
cloud dreamer
2006-04-01 03:26:31 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"Aliens of London"
3-31-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Elliott)
0-1 stars (Kane)
-George
3.7

..
Captain Infinity
2006-04-01 03:42:22 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"Aliens of London"
3-31-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Elliott)
0-1 stars (Kane)
-George
3.7
OK folks, let's get the pointless "number score with no commentary"
posts out the way in a hurry this week, please. I've still got several
hundred "Lost" posts to read and I really can't be bothered to spend
much time on "hey, I can count to 5" stupidity.

My rating for "Aliens of London": 3 blue M&M's and a Cheeto.

**
Captain Infinity
The Doctor
2006-04-01 13:18:50 UTC
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by g***@comcast.net
"Aliens of London"
3-31-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Elliott)
0-1 stars (Kane)
-George
3.7
OK folks, let's get the pointless "number score with no commentary"
posts out the way in a hurry this week, please. I've still got several
hundred "Lost" posts to read and I really can't be bothered to spend
much time on "hey, I can count to 5" stupidity.
My rating for "Aliens of London": 3 blue M&M's and a Cheeto.
Not exactly a favourite.
--
Member - Liberal International
This is ***@nl2k.ab.ca Ici ***@nl2k.ab.ca
Canada's New CONservatives - Same old Tory.
The Doctor
2006-04-01 13:17:58 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"Aliens of London"
3-31-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Elliott)
0-1 stars (Kane)
-George
3.7
..
How gracious. IMHO 2.9
Tony Calguire
2006-04-01 04:32:39 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"Aliens of London"
3-31-06 Dr. Who
You know, this show is really good. If this episode is one of the worst of
the bunch, I can't wait to see the good ones.

I think they finally found the right balance of humor and whimsy with this
episode. Whereas the stretchy-skin smartass from "The End of the World"
was cringe-worthy, the humor in this episode was much more subtile. The
Doctor wrestiling with the kid over the remote, and the cooking show he was
watchging was hilarious. I'll admit the farting was over the top, but it
did serve as a plot device to point out the aliens to us.

Nice of them to mention UNIT, and to have The Doctor's connection to UNIT
get him a ticket to the inside.

Sarah Jane Smith is supposed to be a journalist... would it have killed
them to have her as one of the reporters or presenters on BBC News 24?

Who was the General? He looked and sounded so familiar, but I can't place
him.
k***@usa.com
2006-04-01 06:06:22 UTC
Post by Tony Calguire
Post by g***@comcast.net
"Aliens of London"
3-31-06 Dr. Who
Sarah Jane Smith is supposed to be a journalist... would it have killed
them to have her as one of the reporters or presenters on BBC News 24?
ex-companion sarah jane smith will be making a guest appearance in the
David Tennant Dr. Who series, not the Eccleston series.
Major ChrisB
2006-04-01 10:19:37 UTC
Post by Tony Calguire
Post by g***@comcast.net
"Aliens of London"
3-31-06 Dr. Who
You know, this show is really good. If this episode is one of the worst of
the bunch, I can't wait to see the good ones.
Personally when I watched the UK airings of these I hated the Slitheen
episodes. Aliens of London, WW3 and one later on....thought they were
ridiculous....but they amp right up after this and get superb....
MDS
2006-04-01 11:54:28 UTC
Post by Tony Calguire
Post by g***@comcast.net
[...]
I've read so many negative reviews of this episode from long-time fans
that it is really nice to see something as positive as what you wrote.
As a long-time fan myself, I also enjoyed this episode.
MDS (Mister Doctor Sir)
Michael Bowker
2006-04-01 06:19:17 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"Aliens of London"
3-31-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Elliott)
0-1 stars (Kane)
-George
3

Not the best, but there were some nice touches; like references to UNIT.
kenm47
2006-04-01 14:57:34 UTC
4.0

Very promising.

Ken (Brooklyn)
Luna
2006-04-01 16:28:46 UTC
I think I'd give it a 4. Remember, new fan here, haven't seen the rest
of the series yet, just watching it as it comes on Sci-fi channel.

I did catch glimpses on this group about "farting aliens" and I was
worried, but honestly, it didn't bother me. It kind of scared me. But
I've seen the movie Dreamcatcher at least five times, so that's probably
why. Their laughter scared me, the way it seemed all a big joke to
them, and the comment of "all too human" about the farting was so
condescending, so indicative of no chance of mercy. And the mumblings
about working out the gas exchange indicate that the farting is a
technical problem with their disguises that should be explained next
episode. Which means, they're not perfect, so if they're not perfect in
that way, maybe they're also not perfect in other ways, so maybe we have
a chance.

The way the aliens' eyes blinked sideways also freaked me out. And Rose
and her mom at the beginning, that whole thing made me start crying so I
was emotionally primed to be very involved and worried for the rest of
the episode. And, I don't hate Mickey. I'd be petulant too, in his
situation. Jeez, I get whiney if my boyfriend disappears for a couple
of days, let alone a year.

The only thing I didn't like was how long it took the aliens to reveal
themselves, and how the people just stood around watching instead of
getting the hell out of there.
ANIM8Rfsk
They were all in locked rooms.
Luna
2006-04-01 18:06:50 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by Luna
The only thing I didn't like was how long it took the aliens to reveal
themselves, and how the people just stood around watching instead of
getting the hell out of there.
They were all in locked rooms.
Rose's mom was locked in her apartment? And I could be wrong but I
don't remember any of the alien experts even trying to open the door.
And if they couldn't escape, they at least could have grabbed some
chairs to use as weapons, or something.
p***@aol.com
2006-04-01 18:27:33 UTC
I'm going to give it a 4. I liked it better than any of the previous 3
stories. This would be a good introductory story if someone missed the
first three episodes.

Several plot twists kept my interest going. The pig turning out not to
be the alien was a good one, and of course unzippering the human shell
to reveal the monster inside was excellent. The Slitheen is a pretty
cool monster, like a bigger, scary ET. Also, the idea that the space
ship crashing was a ruse and that it originated on Earth makes me want
to tune in next week to find out the answers. (As if I wouldn't watch!)

I really liked the confusion at the beginning when Rose turns up back
at home thinking it had only been 12 hours but was in fact way longer.
I thought the reaction of both her mom and Mickey was about right. Can
you imagine being Mickey and having to endure being accused of
murdering Rose?

The Doctor? Well, I don't know if I like this characterization of him,
at least not so far. An alien ship crash lands on earth and he sits on
his hands watching it on TV? Previous Doctors would have barged right
in there or found a way to get next to the action. I can't imagine the
Doctor being satisfied with sitting in Rose's flat watching TV. What
took him so long to decide to take action? Then when the call goes out
for alien experts he is rightly accepted. If it is true, as the story
went, that deep mining of the internet can find out a lot of things,
why didn't the Doctor show up at the crash site and announce, "I'm the
Doctor, and I can help"? Surely UNIT would know who he was. This was a
flaw in the story. I did love how the Doctor immediately took over the
room of experts and made it into his show. This is a consistent quality
of the Doctor that I really like.

Snapping at Mickey when he asked a stupid question was a little bit
harsh. Yes, people ask dumb questions of the Doctor and he sometimes
(TomDoc, JonDoc) put them down, but not so condescendingly as this
Doctor.

Might as well address the farting issue. I wasn't bothered by it in the
least and there is an explanation promised. One criticism would be the
laughing by the aliens that accompanied the act. That seemed
out-of-place, but of course only fueled my curiosity as to why they
were doing it. The line, "Would you mind not farting while I'm trying
to save the world" was a bit over the top but seems like something the
Doctor would say.

All in all, a very entertaining story. Aliens disguised as humans
taking over the seat of British power. It doesn't get much better than
that, plot-wise, does it? And it was nice to have the return of the
cliffhanger.

4.0 out of 5.
DBurns 2006-E
2006-04-01 20:14:13 UTC
I think you will like his portrayal in Dalek and Father's Day.
Monsieur Tabernac
2006-04-01 20:16:23 UTC
On Sat, 1 Apr 2006 10:14:13 -1000, "DBurns 2006-E"
Post by DBurns 2006-E
Post by p***@aol.com
The Doctor? Well, I don't know if I like this characterization of him,
at least not so far.
I think you will like his portrayal in Dalek and Father's Day.
When is Dalek and Father's Day this year? I made a promise to my
dad/dalek that I wouldn't forget this time.

Ubiquitous
2006-04-01 18:39:22 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"Aliens of London"
3-31-06 Dr. Who
Four stars.
--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn
for them, it's failing.
h***@animail.net
2006-04-01 19:09:40 UTC
3.5

Not much of a story in itself and there were some pacing problems IMO
(the aliens took way too long to get out of their skin suits), but it's
the opening act of a 2 parter, and it had some really good moments.
Harriet Jones alone was worth the price of admission,and the cheesiness
of the British news commentaries, the paranoid comic booky "watch the
skies" commentaries of the Americans, plus the incredibly shallow
cluelessness of what was going on in in Rose's apartment really made me
wonder why the Doctor has any interest in this species at all...other
than entertainment value. The Doctor's (unshared) concern over the
pig's fear was also a nice touch that highlighted his alienness. I
didn't mind the farting aliens, partly because my sense of humor is
extremely vulgar, but also because it had an explanation and provided a
needed clue as to who they were. I also liked that they looked like
enormous, deformed Teletubbies with sideways blinking eyes.

Not the best episode, but not bad at all.

himiko
whodunit
2006-04-01 19:18:43 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"Aliens of London"
3-31-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Elliott)
0-1 stars (Kane)
-George
People need to remember that this was
*one* alien FAMILY causing the invasion--
the actual race may turn out to be quite
benign--if the Doctor encounters them again.

Some of these characters in AOL come back in
future episodes and you won't look at
them in the same light anymore, I promise.

(Was there a big bad wolf chasing that little
piggy down the hallway??)

Upon re-watching, and knowing what the
future holds, I give it a 4.5 or roundabouts
there. Seems campy on first viewing, but
the underlying story is kinda scary after all!

Carolyne in TX