1st Season Dr. Who - The Parting of the Ways - 5 star poll - SPOILERS AHOY !
Add Reply
g***@comcast.net
2006-06-10 01:43:21 UTC
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who

5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)

0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)

-George
ray o'hara
2006-06-10 01:55:46 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
part two, great episode.
EGK
2006-06-10 02:06:25 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.

If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?

"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
(Calvin and Hobbes)
Agamemnon
2006-06-10 02:10:10 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
Bigger plot hole. Why didn't the Doctor use the TARDIS to destroy the Daleks
in the time war and stop Gallifrey being destroyed in the first place.
EGK
2006-06-10 02:19:36 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
Bigger plot hole. Why didn't the Doctor use the TARDIS to destroy the Daleks
in the time war and stop Gallifrey being destroyed in the first place.
I thought he did sort of explain that tho it really didn't make much sense.
Something about being caught up in the timeline if he went back to do that
kind of thing.

I would guess it has to do with creating paradoxes and that sort of thing
but it seems the kind of thing they play fast and loose with from one
episode to the next. Still, I quite liked it and I've never watched any of
the old Doctor Who series before.

(Calvin and Hobbes)
Agamemnon
2006-06-10 02:26:20 UTC
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 03:10:10 +0100, "Agamemnon"
Post by Agamemnon
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
Bigger plot hole. Why didn't the Doctor use the TARDIS to destroy the Daleks
in the time war and stop Gallifrey being destroyed in the first place.
I thought he did sort of explain that tho it really didn't make much sense.
Something about being caught up in the timeline if he went back to do that
kind of thing.
Before he was caught up in it I mean. If the TARDISs could be used as
doomsday weapons why didn't the Timelords use one to save themselves.
I would guess it has to do with creating paradoxes and that sort of thing
And Rose adding all those Bad Wolf references and controlling peoples minds
to put them there wasn't one ?
EGK
2006-06-10 02:30:21 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
[...]
Heh. Yuu got me, man but I think it has to do with directly interferring
with the timeline. The Bad Wolf clues avoided direct interference. . Like
I said, I've never watched Doctor Who before. I don't know what may or may
not have been explained in other seasons

(Calvin and Hobbes)
Neil Sullivan
2006-06-11 17:20:19 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Bigger plot hole. Why didn't the Doctor use the TARDIS to destroy the Daleks
in the time war and stop Gallifrey being destroyed in the first place.
I thought he did sort of explain that tho it really didn't make much sense.
Something about being caught up in the timeline if he went back to do that
kind of thing.
Before he was caught up in it I mean. If the TARDISs could be used as
doomsday weapons why didn't the Timelords use one to save themselves.
I think that was the whole idea of the Time War; both sides were trying to
do that very thing to each other. That's what the name of the war suggests
to me. I imagine it's not quite that easy when the other side can also do it
back to you though.
Middlebrow
2006-06-12 07:12:19 UTC
Post by Neil Sullivan
I think that was the whole idea of the Time War; both sides were trying to
do that very thing to each other. That's what the name of the war suggests
to me. I imagine it's not quite that easy when the other side can also do it
back to you though.
Read Neal Asher's "Cowl" for a(nother) confusing depiction of just what that
might look like. He also happens to have a pretty neat idea for explaining
the logistics of such a conflict (not that I'm pretending to really
understand it, mind you).
Tim Bruening
2006-06-10 07:59:31 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
Bigger plot hole. Why didn't the Doctor use the TARDIS to destroy the Daleks
in the time war and stop Gallifrey being destroyed in the first place.
That would generate a temporal paradox and bring out the infamous Time Monkeys
from Father's Day.
Agamemnon
2006-06-10 11:30:12 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
Bigger plot hole. Why didn't the Doctor use the TARDIS to destroy the Daleks
in the time war and stop Gallifrey being destroyed in the first place.
That would generate a temporal paradox and bring out the infamous Time Monkeys
from Father's Day.
No it wouldn't since the Doctor would not be changing anything. The Doctor
had a doomsday weapon in the TARDIS and the time of the time war and could
have used it to wipe the Daleks out in an instant but he didn't. Plot hole.
The Face of Po
2006-06-10 12:23:11 UTC
I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Bigger plot hole. Why didn't the Doctor use the TARDIS to destroy the Daleks
in the time war and stop Gallifrey being destroyed in the first place.
That would generate a temporal paradox and bring out the infamous Time Monkeys
from Father's Day.
No it wouldn't since the Doctor would not be changing anything. The Doctor
had a doomsday weapon in the TARDIS and the time of the time war and could
have used it to wipe the Daleks out in an instant but he didn't. Plot hole.
(On the assumption that the TARDIS, and the power under the console, was
available at all at that point...) He didn't use the doomsday weapon in
the TARDIS because he knew it was thoroughly unreliable. One thing it
may have been capable of was wiping out the Daleks. Another, equally
viable, possibility would have been for it to turn him into a foetus.
Or everyone turning into iceskating mongooses and dancing the Bolero.
--
Remove caps to communicate more easily.

"twat ... bogey nosed newbie" - Steve F
"a prize prick ... lol" - FairPlay
"another person for the killfile" - DBurns
"Another case of evidence I wish to ignore" - The Doctor
Elvis Gump
2006-06-10 23:49:06 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
The TARDIS is powered by an Infinite Improbability Drive?

I always thought it was probably Bistromathic...
--
"Imagination is the one weapon in the war against reality."
-- Jules de Gaultier
ANIM8Rfsk
2006-06-10 14:49:52 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
[...]
We don't know that he knew he could do that. And he might not have had a
truck and chain handy. :-)
Agamemnon
2006-06-10 16:58:16 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
[...]
And what about the other Timelords on Gallifrey. TARDISs were supposed to be
basic and not very sophisticated compared with the Timelords other powers,
and yet the Doctors TARDIS is capable of rearranging time and space. Just
imagine what the Hand of Omega would be capable of in comparison, and then
there's the Nemesis device which destroyed a whole Cyber battle fleet around
Earth, and we are expected to believe that the Timelords couldn't defend
themselves against the Daleks. Plot hole.
Neil Sullivan
2006-06-11 17:29:31 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
And what about the other Timelords on Gallifrey. TARDISs were supposed to be
basic and not very sophisticated compared with the Timelords other powers,
I can't recall that ever being said in the series.
Post by Agamemnon
and yet the Doctors TARDIS is capable of rearranging time and space. Just
imagine what the Hand of Omega would be capable of in comparison, and then
there's the Nemesis device which destroyed a whole Cyber battle fleet around
Earth, and we are expected to believe that the Timelords couldn't defend
themselves against the Daleks. Plot hole.
The Daleks were just as powerful though. No plot hole there. Basically, we
have no idea exactly how the war played out, considering both sides had
awesome powers and were capable of altering each other's history. Remember,
the Daleks we saw at the end of the season came from just one Dalek survivor
of the war and were not at their previous full strength.
Agamemnon
2006-06-11 19:13:28 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
basic and not very sophisticated compared with the Timelords other powers,
I can't recall that ever being said in the series.
Genesis of the Daleks and Deadly Assassin.
ANIM8Rfsk
One surviving Dalek SHIP. No reason to assume the Emperor was alone on it.
Tim Bruening
2006-06-10 22:51:36 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
[...]
Couldn't he just press a button? It would be the Time Lord equivalent of popping
up a car hood!
Tim Bruening
2006-06-10 22:35:57 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Agamemnon
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
[...]
In "Dalek", the Doctor said that he had destroyed 10 million Dalek ships in a
second. This means that he DID use a doomsday weapon (probably the same one
Rose just used) during the Time War! Unfortunately, one Dalek ship escaped,
leading to the events of the season finale.
Captain Infinity
2006-06-11 01:21:08 UTC
In "Dalek", the Doctor said that he had destroyed 10 million Dalek ships in a
second. This means that he DID use a doomsday weapon (probably the same one
Rose just used) during the Time War! Unfortunately, one Dalek ship escaped,
You can say that again. We can only hope they're gone for good now.
This is the second Dalek episode I've seen and don't think I could sit
through another one.

**
Captain Infinity
The Doctor
2006-06-11 13:13:23 UTC
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by Tim Bruening
In "Dalek", the Doctor said that he had destroyed 10 million Dalek ships in a
second. This means that he DID use a doomsday weapon (probably the same one
Rose just used) during the Time War! Unfortunately, one Dalek ship escaped,
You can say that again. We can only hope they're gone for good now.
This is the second Dalek episode I've seen and don't think I could sit
through another one.
Kill himself and Earth?? He should have.
--
Member - Liberal International
This is ***@nl2k.ab.ca Ici ***@nl2k.ab.ca
Beware Linux the MS Windows of Unix! Demand UseNet an integral part of Internet!
T***@mindspring.com
2006-06-10 02:25:22 UTC
Post by EGK
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
It doesn't seem like that predictable a thing; the previous one to look
into it, in Boomtown, turned into an egg instead. If the Doctor was
really lucky, he might absorb the power of the time vortex, gain enough
power to stop the Daleks, and then safely regenerate. But he couldn't
expect that result; it might be more likely that he'd get blasted and
regenerate before he could do anything, or get blasted into bits too
small to regenerate, or revert to babyhood, or lose control of the power
and wipe out the station but not the Daleks, etc.
EGK
2006-06-10 02:32:20 UTC
Post by T***@mindspring.com
Post by EGK
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
It doesn't seem like that predictable a thing; the previous one to look
into it, in Boomtown, turned into an egg instead. If the Doctor was
really lucky, he might absorb the power of the time vortex, gain enough
power to stop the Daleks, and then safely regenerate. But he couldn't
expect that result; it might be more likely that he'd get blasted and
regenerate before he could do anything, or get blasted into bits too
small to regenerate, or revert to babyhood, or lose control of the power
and wipe out the station but not the Daleks, etc.
Ok, so the unpredictable nature of it would seem to make some sense in his
not doing it. That was a hell of a coincidence it made Rose all powerful
then. :)

(Calvin and Hobbes)
Rob Jensen
2006-06-10 07:15:16 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by T***@mindspring.com
Post by EGK
[...]
Aw, c'mon, the Heart of the Tardis is just a garden-variety Deus Ex
Machina. Kinda literally, too.

-- Rob
--
LORELAI: In the movie, only boy hobbits travel to Mount
Doom, but that's only because the girls went to do something
LORELAI: Have you ever heard of a Brazilian Bikini Wax?
Agamemnon
2006-06-10 02:36:28 UTC
Post by T***@mindspring.com
Post by EGK
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
It doesn't seem like that predictable a thing; the previous one to look
into it, in Boomtown, turned into an egg instead. If the Doctor was
really lucky, he might absorb the power of the time vortex, gain enough
power to stop the Daleks, and then safely regenerate. But he couldn't
expect that result; it might be more likely that he'd get blasted and
regenerate before he could do anything, or get blasted into bits too
small to regenerate, or revert to babyhood, or lose control of the power
and wipe out the station but not the Daleks, etc.
So rather than think himself out of a problem we are left with a solutions
being found by pure accident and not by him. Just how much luck does the
Doctor have.
Tim Bruening
Or blow up the Sun!
Tim Bruening
The Doctor would run out of regenerations sooner than he would like.
Rob Jensen
2006-06-11 06:44:42 UTC
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 00:58:31 -0700, Tim Bruening
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
The Doctor would run out of regenerations sooner than he would like.
Something tells me that unlike the rest of the Time Lords, The Doctor
has no limit to the number of times he can regenerate. Otherwise,
his, what, 13th death would be the end of the series? Maybe
channelling the Time Vortex at the heart of the Tardis has something
to do with it?

-- Rob
The Doctor
2006-06-10 12:44:31 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
--
I thought TARDIS ex machina was the Plot Hole?
Ken from Chicago
2006-06-11 06:59:27 UTC
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
"There would be a lot more civility in this world if people
didn't take that as an invitation to walk all over you"
(Calvin and Hobbes)
Same reason you don't cut off skin even tho it will grow back.

-- Ken from Chicago
EGK
2006-06-11 16:33:27 UTC
On Sun, 11 Jun 2006 01:59:27 -0500, "Ken from Chicago"
Post by Ken from Chicago
Post by EGK
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
Been watching from the beginning of this new season and it got better and
better as it went along. Great episode but one big plot hole.
If the Tardis had that much power, why didn't the Doctor look in to it
himself as long as he could regenerate?
Same reason you don't cut off skin even tho it will grow back.
I dunno. If I'm facing the end of my existence and the end of all existence
unless you're a Dalek, a bit of skin peeling doesn't sound all that bad to
me. People have jumped on hand grenades for less.

(Calvin and Hobbes)
Tony Calguire
2006-06-10 02:41:19 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
5

Brilliant. On par with the classic, "important" Doctor Who stories like
"Genesis of the Daleks", "Revelation of the Daleks", "Invasion of Time",
or "Earthshock".

So, what would you call that ending? "Rosa Ex Machina", perhaps? If
there's one thing they can improve on, it's the tendancy for the modern
Doctor to lie in a daze on the floor while somebody else saves his
ass... HE'S the one who's supposed to be saving everybody else's ass. I
liked the way this story connected back to "Genesis..." and
"Revelation..."... once again, The Doctor is holding the detonator, and
once again, he just can't bring himself to blow eveything up.

I'm not sure I like the idea that you can bust open the heart of the
TARDIS with a tow truck and a cargo hook... I always liked the
indestructable, impenetrable quality of the TARDIS. Didn't Teegan and
Nyssa try to bust open the TARDIS once? And, wasn't there an episode
where the TARDIS was busted into pieces by some alien force? I have
this image in my head of TARDIS wall panels embedded in rock walls.

I always enjoy a good regeneration scene. I like how they get better as
SFX techniology gets better. I'll reserve judgement on David Tennant
until I see him in action, but I will say this... they really need to go
back to the old tradition of hiring distinguished older gentlemen to
play the Doctor.
Agamemnon
2006-06-10 02:47:41 UTC
Post by Tony Calguire
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
5
Brilliant. On par with the classic, "important" Doctor Who stories like
"Genesis of the Daleks", "Revelation of the Daleks", "Invasion of Time",
or "Earthshock".
Except none of these relied on pure luck for their resolution.
Post by Tony Calguire
So, what would you call that ending? "Rosa Ex Machina", perhaps? If
A cop out.
Post by Tony Calguire
there's one thing they can improve on, it's the tendancy for the modern
Doctor to lie in a daze on the floor while somebody else saves his
ass... HE'S the one who's supposed to be saving everybody else's ass. I
This is down to very bad scriptwriting. People no longer know how to write
stories. It now all about promoting personal political agendas in British
TV.
Post by Tony Calguire
liked the way this story connected back to "Genesis..." and
"Revelation..."... once again, The Doctor is holding the detonator, and
once again, he just can't bring himself to blow eveything up.
I'm not sure I like the idea that you can bust open the heart of the
TARDIS with a tow truck and a cargo hook... I always liked the
indestructable, impenetrable quality of the TARDIS. Didn't Teegan and
Nyssa try to bust open the TARDIS once? And, wasn't there an episode
where the TARDIS was busted into pieces by some alien force? I have
The Mind Robber.
play the Doctor.
ANIM8Rfsk
2006-06-10 08:33:45 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Tony Calguire
there's one thing they can improve on, it's the tendancy for the modern
Doctor to lie in a daze on the floor while somebody else saves his
ass... HE'S the one who's supposed to be saving everybody else's ass. I
This is down to very bad scriptwriting. People no longer know how to write
stories. It now all about promoting personal political agendas in British
TV.
Like the Hex girl daydreaming about killing George W. Bush?
play the Doctor.
T***@mindspring.com
2006-06-10 16:26:48 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Tony Calguire
there's one thing they can improve on, it's the tendancy for the modern
Doctor to lie in a daze on the floor while somebody else saves his
ass... HE'S the one who's supposed to be saving everybody else's ass.
This is down to very bad scriptwriting. People no longer know how to write
stories. It now all about promoting personal political agendas in British
TV.
It seems to me not bad scriptwriting but a deliberate theme during the
season.
This Doctor often doesn't save the day directly, he inspires others to save
the
day. What Rose and Jack and others do to save things is result of the
Doctor's
presence and example. Like in this episode, Rose was trying to open the
Tardis panel to get back to the Doctor and help him, even if she'd be
risking
her own life by going back (it just worked much better than she could have
expected). It seems like a pretty good message to me, that ordinary people
should stand up and act and try to change things.
Agamemnon
2006-06-10 17:01:06 UTC
Post by T***@mindspring.com
Post by Agamemnon
Post by Tony Calguire
there's one thing they can improve on, it's the tendancy for the modern
Doctor to lie in a daze on the floor while somebody else saves his
ass... HE'S the one who's supposed to be saving everybody else's ass.
This is down to very bad scriptwriting. People no longer know how to
write stories. It now all about promoting personal political agendas in
British TV.
It seems to me not bad scriptwriting but a deliberate theme during the
season.
This Doctor often doesn't save the day directly, he inspires others to
save the
day. What Rose and Jack and others do to save things is result of the
Doctor's
presence and example. Like in this episode, Rose was trying to open the
What example. Where does the Doctor sacrifice his own life. It's more like
everyone else is doing that.
T***@mindspring.com
2006-06-10 23:20:05 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
What example. Where does the Doctor sacrifice his own life. It's more like
everyone else is doing that.
The Doctor sends away the Tardis to save Rose, leaving only two
possibilities, as far as he knew; either the Daleks would get to him
and kill him, or else he'd finish the delta wave device, set it off, and
destroy the Daleks as well as killing himself. I think putting himself
in a situation where he thought he had zero chance of survival, when
he could easily have just left with Rose in the Tardis, is a pretty good
example of being self-sacrificing.
Agamemnon
2006-06-11 00:00:17 UTC
Post by T***@mindspring.com
Post by Agamemnon
What example. Where does the Doctor sacrifice his own life. It's more
like everyone else is doing that.
The Doctor sends away the Tardis to save Rose, leaving only two
possibilities, as far as he knew; either the Daleks would get to him
and kill him, or else he'd finish the delta wave device, set it off, and
destroy the Daleks as well as killing himself. I think putting himself
in a situation where he thought he had zero chance of survival, when
he could easily have just left with Rose in the Tardis, is a pretty good
example of being self-sacrificing.
And in the other episodes he does what ?

Nothing.
The Doctor
2006-06-11 00:15:07 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Post by T***@mindspring.com
Post by Agamemnon
What example. Where does the Doctor sacrifice his own life. It's more
like everyone else is doing that.
The Doctor sends away the Tardis to save Rose, leaving only two
possibilities, as far as he knew; either the Daleks would get to him
and kill him, or else he'd finish the delta wave device, set it off, and
destroy the Daleks as well as killing himself. I think putting himself
in a situation where he thought he had zero chance of survival, when
he could easily have just left with Rose in the Tardis, is a pretty good
example of being self-sacrificing.
And in the other episodes he does what ?
Nothing.
In this case cowars out.
Jim Vieira
Yes, it was a Davison story. Frontios.
erilar
2006-06-10 19:52:03 UTC
Post by Tony Calguire
I always enjoy a good regeneration scene. I like how they get better as
SFX techniology gets better. I'll reserve judgement on David Tennant
until I see him in action, but I will say this... they really need to go
back to the old tradition of hiring distinguished older gentlemen to
play the Doctor.
Doctors have varied so much that it's always chancy 8-) Tom Baker was
hardly a distinguished older gentleman and he was my unchallenged
favorite 8-) I wasn't so sure about Eccleston((?) but ended up becoming
attached enough that I hated to see him go.

And I forgot to rate this one. I'd give it a 4.
--
Mary Loomer Oliver (aka Erilar),
philologist, biblioholic medievalist

http://www.airstreamcomm.net/~erilarlo
EGK
2006-06-10 19:58:30 UTC
Just a question for all the Doctor Who fans. As I said, this new season on
Sci Fi was my first time watching. I've been aware of the show but my only
time watching was the USA movie that FOX did some years back. So, I really
have no idea of the past.

I wondered, have any of the actors who played Doctor Who ever returned to
the role after a regeneration and if so, how did they explain it?

(Calvin and Hobbes)
p***@aol.com
2006-06-10 20:08:28 UTC
Post by EGK
Just a question for all the Doctor Who fans. As I said, this new season on
Sci Fi was my first time watching. I've been aware of the show but my only
time watching was the USA movie that FOX did some years back. So, I really
have no idea of the past.
I wondered, have any of the actors who played Doctor Who ever returned to
the role after a regeneration and if so, how did they explain it?
They've had multi-Doctor stories like The Three Doctors, The Five
Doctors, and The Two Doctors where past Doctors teamed up with the
current Doctor to defeat evil. Usually this involved the Time Lords
breaking their laws about crossing the time lines and bringing various
incarnations of the Doctors together because the threat to the universe
was so great that only a multi-Doctor team could make things right
again.
BTR1701
2006-06-10 21:18:42 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by EGK
Just a question for all the Doctor Who fans. As I said, this new season on
Sci Fi was my first time watching. I've been aware of the show but my only
time watching was the USA movie that FOX did some years back. So, I really
have no idea of the past.
I wondered, have any of the actors who played Doctor Who ever returned to
the role after a regeneration and if so, how did they explain it?
They've had multi-Doctor stories like The Three Doctors, The Five
Doctors, and The Two Doctors where past Doctors teamed up with the
current Doctor to defeat evil. Usually this involved the Time Lords
breaking their laws about crossing the time lines and bringing various
incarnations of the Doctors together because the threat to the universe
was so great that only a multi-Doctor team could make things right
again.
What's so special about him as opposed to any other Time Lord? I mean,
why team him up with past versions of himself as opposed to just teaming
him up with a couple other Time Lords?
Invid Fan
2006-06-11 00:05:02 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by p***@aol.com
They've had multi-Doctor stories like The Three Doctors, The Five
Doctors, and The Two Doctors where past Doctors teamed up with the
current Doctor to defeat evil. Usually this involved the Time Lords
breaking their laws about crossing the time lines and bringing various
incarnations of the Doctors together because the threat to the universe
was so great that only a multi-Doctor team could make things right
again.
What's so special about him as opposed to any other Time Lord? I mean,
why team him up with past versions of himself as opposed to just teaming
him up with a couple other Time Lords?
In The Five Doctors, it's an evil plot involving the Doctor: someone is
ripping his past lives out and putting them in the Death Zone, so the
current Doctor goes there to find out what's going on. In The Two
Doctors, the paths of the 2nd and 6th Doctors just happen to cross.
They have teamed up The Doctor with another Time Lord to solve a
problem before, when Romana was brought in to find the Key to Time.
-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
Zombie Elvis
2006-06-11 00:57:22 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by p***@aol.com
They've had multi-Doctor stories like The Three Doctors, The Five
Doctors, and The Two Doctors where past Doctors teamed up with the
current Doctor to defeat evil. Usually this involved the Time Lords
breaking their laws about crossing the time lines and bringing various
incarnations of the Doctors together because the threat to the universe
was so great that only a multi-Doctor team could make things right
again.
What's so special about him as opposed to any other Time Lord? I mean,
why team him up with past versions of himself as opposed to just teaming
him up with a couple other Time Lords?
Because the other Time Lords are too stodgy to do a lot of the things
that The Doctor does. The Doctor is something of a rebel. Think about
the Prime Directive on Star Trek -- The Doctor is the guy who always
violates the PD to save the day.
--
"Actually, the Medium Point Bic Round Stick is the preferred
pen for emergency tracheotomies."

Roberto Castillo
***@ameritech.net
http://www.freewebs.com/robertocastillo/
Tony Calguire
2006-06-11 02:23:45 UTC
Post by BTR1701
What's so special about him as opposed to any other Time Lord? I mean,
why team him up with past versions of himself as opposed to just teaming
him up with a couple other Time Lords?
Throughout the history of Doctor Who, the other Time Lords have been
portrayed as a stuffy, insular "College of Cardinals". They guard time
in some broad, general way but don't meddle. The Doctor, on the other
hand, is sort-of like a "renegade priest".
BTR1701
2006-06-11 03:11:48 UTC
Post by Tony Calguire
Post by BTR1701
What's so special about him as opposed to any other Time Lord? I mean,
why team him up with past versions of himself as opposed to just teaming
him up with a couple other Time Lords?
Throughout the history of Doctor Who, the other Time Lords have been
portrayed as a stuffy, insular "College of Cardinals". They guard time
in some broad, general way but don't meddle. The Doctor, on the other
hand, is sort-of like a "renegade priest".
But apparently it's the Time Lords who decide to take action and make it
possible for the Doctor to work with past versions of himself. So if
they're willing to "unstuff" themselves enough to make that happen, why
not just work with him directly instead of jumping through such
ridiculous hoops?
Ian Salsbury
2006-06-11 08:48:41 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Tony Calguire
Post by BTR1701
What's so special about him as opposed to any other Time Lord? I mean,
why team him up with past versions of himself as opposed to just teaming
him up with a couple other Time Lords?
Throughout the history of Doctor Who, the other Time Lords have been
portrayed as a stuffy, insular "College of Cardinals". They guard time
in some broad, general way but don't meddle. The Doctor, on the other
hand, is sort-of like a "renegade priest".
But apparently it's the Time Lords who decide to take action and make it
possible for the Doctor to work with past versions of himself. So if
they're willing to "unstuff" themselves enough to make that happen, why
not just work with him directly instead of jumping through such
ridiculous hoops?
They`ve no experience of such things and are all generally cowardly types
that don`t want to get involved. Better to get in someone who knows what
he`s doing, has experience of meddling and saving the day against
insurmountable odds.
Jerry Brown
2006-06-11 09:14:14 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by EGK
[...]
In The Five Doctors, they couldn't get hold of the fourth Doctor (for
the Real World reason that Tom Baker wouldn't do it), so they tried
offering The Master an amnesty if he would join in instead. IIRC he
actually did try and assist (at first), but none of the Doctors
believed him (e.g. Third Doctor: "YOU were sent by the Time Lords to
help ME! What arrant nonsense!").

Jerry Brown
--
A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

<http://www.jwbrown.co.uk>
John Schilling
2006-06-08 16:18:18 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by EGK
[...]
They did that as well, during the "Key of Time" arc in the Tom Baker
era. Well, OK, they teamed him up with one Time Lady, but same idea.
Worked out quite well as far as defeating the Black Guardian and
recovering the Key of Time was concerned. Worked out even better as
far as providing several seasons of first-rate stories for the audience
was concerned. And, better still for the actors involved...

But, the Time Lords didn't get their Time Lady back at the end. They
instead had to increment their count of Independant Renegade Time
Lords at large in the universe(s) by one[1]. The Doctor, it seems, is
a bit of a corrupting influence. Imagine that.

Insofar as the Time Lords generally seem to prefer a nice stable
heirarchy and a predictable cosmic order, it may be better for them
to double and redouble the one Independant Renegade Time Lord they
are already stuck with than to risk losing more of their order to
that terrible fate.

[1] Which leads to the obvious question of whether Romana survived
the Time Wars as well. One can hope...
--
*John Schilling * "Anything worth doing, *
*Member:AIAA,NRA,ACLU,SAS,LP * is worth doing for money" *
*661-718-0955 or 661-275-6795 * -58th Rule of Acquisition *
Tim Bruening
I bet that multiple Doctors teamed up during the Time War!
Joe Pfeiffer
2006-06-10 20:46:59 UTC
Post by EGK
Just a question for all the Doctor Who fans. As I said, this new season on
Sci Fi was my first time watching. I've been aware of the show but my only
time watching was the USA movie that FOX did some years back. So, I really
have no idea of the past.
I wondered, have any of the actors who played Doctor Who ever returned to
the role after a regeneration and if so, how did they explain it?
Not as such. There have been a few special multi-doctor stories, in
which the story was that the other doctors were plucked from their
timestreams.

Something that will be an interesting problem is what to do when they
get to the 13th Doctor, since we saw his 13th self decades ago, and he
had turned evil (well, it would be interesting. My guess is they'll
just sort of forget about the old story).
ANIM8Rfsk
2006-06-10 22:42:33 UTC
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by EGK
Just a question for all the Doctor Who fans. As I said, this new season on
Sci Fi was my first time watching. I've been aware of the show but my only
time watching was the USA movie that FOX did some years back. So, I really
have no idea of the past.
I wondered, have any of the actors who played Doctor Who ever returned to
the role after a regeneration and if so, how did they explain it?
Not as such. There have been a few special multi-doctor stories, in
which the story was that the other doctors were plucked from their
timestreams.
Something that will be an interesting problem is what to do when they
get to the 13th Doctor, since we saw his 13th self decades ago, and he
had turned evil (well, it would be interesting. My guess is they'll
just sort of forget about the old story).
Did they ever say what number the current doctor was? Maybe he was 14 and
the problem is behind them. :-)
Zombie Elvis
2006-06-11 01:07:09 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by EGK
[...]
I'm pretty certain that Eccleston is the Ninth Doctor. Or at least
he's the ninth actor to play The Doctor. They don't say that on the
show but in any case, the number of regenerations The Doctor gets is
limited to, I think, thirteen. So the evil Doctor should be the last
one if my Doctor Who lore is correct.

L. Ross Raszewski
2006-06-11 04:43:03 UTC
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:07:09 -0500, Zombie Elvis
Post by Zombie Elvis
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by Zombie Elvis
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by Zombie Elvis
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by EGK
[...]
Actually, what they said about the Valleyard was that he was from
"somewhere between your twelth and final regeneration", which might
mean that he's not actually an incarnation of the Doctor, but some
kind of wraith along the lines of the Watcher we saw when the fourth
Doctor regenerated.
Jerry Brown
2006-06-11 09:19:47 UTC
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 20:07:09 -0500, Zombie Elvis
<snip>
Post by Zombie Elvis
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Did they ever say what number the current doctor was? Maybe he was 14 and
the problem is behind them. :-)
I'm pretty certain that Eccleston is the Ninth Doctor. Or at least
he's the ninth actor to play The Doctor. They don't say that on the
show but in any case, the number of regenerations The Doctor gets is
limited to, I think, thirteen. So the evil Doctor should be the last
one if my Doctor Who lore is correct.
In a 'School Reunion' (which I expect the US will be getting later in
the year), the Tennant Doctor explicitly states that he has
regenerated half a dozen times since he was Tom Baker.

Jerry Brown
--
A cat may look at a king
(but probably won't bother)

<http://www.jwbrown.co.uk>
L. Ross Raszewski
2006-06-12 03:29:54 UTC
Post by Zombie Elvis
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Did they ever say what number the current doctor was? Maybe he was 14 and
the problem is behind them. :-)
I'm pretty certain that Eccleston is the Ninth Doctor. Or at least
he's the ninth actor to play The Doctor. They don't say that on the
show but in any case, the number of regenerations The Doctor gets is
limited to, I think, thirteen. So the evil Doctor should be the last
one if my Doctor Who lore is correct.
In a 'School Reunion' (which I expect the US will be getting later in
the year), the Tennant Doctor explicitly states that he has
regenerated half a dozen times since he was Tom Baker.
Explicit my ass. He states that he's regenerated "About a half a dozen
times". Which makes Tennant the "tenth doctor or so".
Neil Sullivan
2006-06-11 17:57:13 UTC
Post by Zombie Elvis
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by Joe Pfeiffer
Post by EGK
[...]
You're almost spot on. He has twelve regenerations, which gives him thirteen
lives. However, as someone else on here has said, the evil version of the
Doctor wasn't actually a future incarnation, but rather a by-product of his
final regeneration.
ANIM8Rfsk

The Doctor
Invid Fan
2006-06-11 00:05:00 UTC
Post by erilar
Post by Tony Calguire
I always enjoy a good regeneration scene. I like how they get better as
SFX techniology gets better. I'll reserve judgement on David Tennant
until I see him in action, but I will say this... they really need to go
back to the old tradition of hiring distinguished older gentlemen to
play the Doctor.
Doctors have varied so much that it's always chancy 8-) Tom Baker was
hardly a distinguished older gentleman and he was my unchallenged
favorite 8-) I wasn't so sure about Eccleston((?) but ended up becoming
attached enough that I hated to see him go.
In the past they've usually tried to make a new doctor very different
from the last. An older Doctor, with perhaps the ego of the 1st or 6th,
would be fun. In the meantime, we need better companions. Let's get a
12 year old girl or something :)
-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
The Doctor
Monsieur Tabernac
2006-06-11 00:17:35 UTC
Wow, puberty must hit pretty early out there in the prairies.
The Doctor
Stephen Wilson
Says the man who is against swearing and "abnormal" sex. Bloody hypocrite.
The Doctor
2006-06-11 13:14:55 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by The Doctor
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by The Doctor
Post by Invid Fan
In the meantime, we need better companions. Let's get a
12 year old girl or something :)
Recall PERi?
Wow, puberty must hit pretty early out there in the prairies.
Sick bugger!
Says the man who is against swearing and "abnormal" sex. Bloody hypocrite.
Point out to me where I am swearing.
Stephen Wilson
2006-06-11 13:19:52 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by The Doctor
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by The Doctor
Post by Invid Fan
In the meantime, we need better companions. Let's get a
12 year old girl or something :)
Recall PERi?
Wow, puberty must hit pretty early out there in the prairies.
Sick bugger!
Says the man who is against swearing and "abnormal" sex. Bloody hypocrite.
Point out to me where I am swearing.
You just told someone they are a "sick bugger". That's as offensive as
calling someone a "bloody twat".
The Doctor
2006-06-11 13:21:09 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by The Doctor
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by The Doctor
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by The Doctor
Post by Invid Fan
In the meantime, we need better companions. Let's get a
12 year old girl or something :)
Recall PERi?
Wow, puberty must hit pretty early out there in the prairies.
Sick bugger!
Says the man who is against swearing and "abnormal" sex. Bloody hypocrite.
Point out to me where I am swearing.
You just told someone they are a "sick bugger". That's as offensive as
calling someone a "bloody twat".
Describe bugger as a swear.
Monsieur Tabernac
2006-06-11 13:27:52 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
You just told someone they are a "sick bugger". That's as offensive as
calling someone a "bloody twat".
Describe bugger as a swear.
To us Canadians (I know you pretend not to be, but you are), "bugger"
is pretty inoffensive, but back in the UK it is a much stronger word.
Much like "bloody".
The Doctor
2006-06-11 22:49:26 UTC
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by The Doctor
Post by Stephen Wilson
You just told someone they are a "sick bugger". That's as offensive as
calling someone a "bloody twat".
Describe bugger as a swear.
To us Canadians (I know you pretend not to be, but you are), "bugger"
is pretty inoffensive, but back in the UK it is a much stronger word.
Much like "bloody".
Bloidy Hell! Hey, TM I hope you voted against Harper.
Monsieur Tabernac
Absolutely.
The Doctor
2006-06-11 22:53:56 UTC
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by The Doctor
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by The Doctor
Post by Stephen Wilson
You just told someone they are a "sick bugger". That's as offensive as
calling someone a "bloody twat".
Describe bugger as a swear.
To us Canadians (I know you pretend not to be, but you are), "bugger"
is pretty inoffensive, but back in the UK it is a much stronger word.
Much like "bloody".
Bloidy Hell! Hey, TM I hope you voted against Harper.
Absolutely.
VOus etes d'homme d'honeur.
Stephen Wilson
2006-06-11 13:30:51 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by The Doctor
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by The Doctor
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by The Doctor
Post by Invid Fan
In the meantime, we need better companions. Let's get a
12 year old girl or something :)
Recall PERi?
Wow, puberty must hit pretty early out there in the prairies.
Sick bugger!
Says the man who is against swearing and "abnormal" sex. Bloody hypocrite.
Point out to me where I am swearing.
You just told someone they are a "sick bugger". That's as offensive as
calling someone a "bloody twat".
Describe bugger as a swear.
I don't need to. Why would you want me to?

Why don't you look the word up in a dictionary. Do you know what it actually
means? It's a vulgar word. In other words, a swear word.

You seem to object to people who swear. Why do you find it so acceptable
when you do so yourself?
Invid Fan
2006-06-11 07:50:25 UTC
Post by Invid Fan
Post by erilar
Post by Tony Calguire
I always enjoy a good regeneration scene. I like how they get better as
SFX techniology gets better. I'll reserve judgement on David Tennant
until I see him in action, but I will say this... they really need to go
back to the old tradition of hiring distinguished older gentlemen to
play the Doctor.
Doctors have varied so much that it's always chancy 8-) Tom Baker was
hardly a distinguished older gentleman and he was my unchallenged
favorite 8-) I wasn't so sure about Eccleston((?) but ended up becoming
attached enough that I hated to see him go.
In the past they've usually tried to make a new doctor very different
from the last. An older Doctor, with perhaps the ego of the 1st or 6th,
would be fun. In the meantime, we need better companions. Let's get a
12 year old girl or something :)
Recall PERi?
She was only mentally 12, unless you're living near some very developed
young girls :)
-'Deal/No Deal', CHESS
The Doctor
2006-06-11 13:15:25 UTC
Post by Invid Fan
Post by The Doctor
Post by Invid Fan
Post by erilar
Post by Tony Calguire
[...]
Sounds like a typical yank.
Young Blandford
2006-06-11 23:20:12 UTC
Sounds like a typical yank.
Wow. You condem others for being racist (Chinese whispers) but you are
actually
a racist.

Considering you think you are a Christian, you behave like a peice of
shit.
BTR1701
What exactly was racist about that comment? (Hint: "Yank" is not a race.)
Middlebrow
Geographist!
Captain Infinity
2006-06-11 01:25:37 UTC
Post by Invid Fan
In the meantime, we need better companions. Let's get a
12 year old girl or something :)
In what way would that be "better"?

**
Captain Infinity
BTR1701
Nothing good comes from putting kids into the mix.
mªdcªt
2006-06-10 04:45:46 UTC
x-no-archive: yes On 9 Jun 2006 18:43:21 -0700,
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
I re-post this link for your amusement, now having seen the final
episide:

http://www.worldmag.com/articles/11719

I'm assuming the final episode was aired unedited. :)

ROFL

---------------
Hey spambots! Harvest these:

***@swiss-invest-ltd.net
***@vettimaniy.info
***@vettimaniy.info
***@gmail.com
***@conunpardewebs.info
***@conunpardewebs.info
***@spurmforyou.com
***@spurmforyou.com
The Face of Po
2006-06-10 08:05:53 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
I re-post this link for your amusement, now having seen the final
http://www.worldmag.com/articles/11719
I'm assuming the final episode was aired unedited. :)
Or no more edited than the original version in the UK. They decided
that the shot of Jack's arse wasn't quite suitable here, either.

Captain Infinity
2006-06-10 20:45:11 UTC
Post by The Face of Po
Or no more edited than the original version in the UK. They decided
that the shot of Jack's arse wasn't quite suitable here, either.
Thank god. The kiss alone was enough to make my gorge rise.

**
Captain Infinity
Middlebrow
2006-06-12 14:37:58 UTC
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by The Face of Po
Or no more edited than the original version in the UK. They decided
that the shot of Jack's arse wasn't quite suitable here, either.
Thank god. The kiss alone was enough to make my gorge rise.
Why on earth would it? It seemed very Russian and comradely to me.

Even if it was sexual, however, and assuming that Jack really doesn't have
any sexual inhibitions (or, indeed, preferences), anything less would have
been something of a snub to the good Doctor.
Captain Infinity
2006-06-12 15:43:19 UTC
Post by Middlebrow
Post by Captain Infinity
The kiss alone was enough to make my gorge rise.
Why on earth would it? It seemed very Russian and comradely to me.
It was a guy kissing a *guy*. That's just *GROSS*.

Thank god I'm not a Russian, if that's the kind of perversion they're
into. No more Russian dressing on my salads, no sir! YUCK!
Post by Middlebrow
Even if it was sexual, however, and assuming that Jack really doesn't have
any sexual inhibitions (or, indeed, preferences), anything less would have
been something of a snub to the good Doctor.
You're just sick, dude. Blecch!

**
Captain Infinity
Middlebrow
2006-06-12 15:46:29 UTC
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by Middlebrow
Post by Captain Infinity
The kiss alone was enough to make my gorge rise.
Why on earth would it? It seemed very Russian and comradely to me.
It was a guy kissing a *guy*. That's just *GROSS*.
Thank god I'm not a Russian, if that's the kind of perversion they're
into. No more Russian dressing on my salads, no sir! YUCK!
At least now you have a good reason for avoiding borscht. :-)

And no, borscht alone is not reason enough!

David B
2006-06-10 10:27:29 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
4.5
Tim Bruening
2006-06-10 22:22:56 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
4.5
4.
Captain Infinity
2006-06-11 01:18:47 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
4.5
4.
Fascinating analyses. I could listen to you guys all day.

**
Captain Infinity
Mike Van Pelt
2006-06-10 11:09:43 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
I'm sorry.

Flat zero.

Lots of good stuff in here, good acting, but when you multiply
the factors all together, there's this big, fat, honkin' zero
for bringing out the Deus Ex Machina Wand, and waving all those
nasty Daleks away, and bringing Beefcake Boy back to life.

(Sure sucks to be all those other people.)

Zero times any number, no matter how great, is zero. So one big
round goosegg for the season finale.

Frodo and Sam (the Ralph Bakshi ... thing)
--
Tagon: "Where's your sense of adventure?" | Mike Van Pelt
Kevyn: "It died under mysterious circumstances. | mvp at calweb.com
My sense of self-preservation found the body, | KE6BVH
but assures me it has an airtight alibi." (schlockmercenary.com)
Mark Nobles
2006-06-12 12:51:55 UTC
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
I'm sorry.
Flat zero.
Lots of good stuff in here, good acting, but when you multiply
the factors all together, there's this big, fat, honkin' zero
for bringing out the Deus Ex Machina Wand, and waving all those
nasty Daleks away, and bringing Beefcake Boy back to life.
(Sure sucks to be all those other people.)
Isn't that the way it always is? They already used up the "just this
once, everybody lives." So this time, it sucks to be those other
people.
But it sure rocks to be Rose.
Post by Mike Van Pelt
Zero times any number, no matter how great, is zero. So one big
round goosegg for the season finale.
BTW, I give it a big fat 10, for the two-parter. The first half was
great, and the second half even better. I really, really like that Rose
is the Bad Wolf.
The Doctor
2006-06-10 12:43:24 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
-George
4
h***@animail.net
2006-06-10 21:02:30 UTC
4.0

I liked the basic story both in itself and as a finale. I also liked
how the characters interacted and the roles they played. The
execution, however, was flawed in places. Some of the heroic and/or
heartstring-pulling moments were a bit too long and over the top for my
taste, especially the whole tow truck episode and the final scene.

himiko
p***@aol.com
2006-06-10 21:54:51 UTC
3.8. A nice enough story but the magical ending left me perturbed. Yet
another RTD story with a rushed ending where someone other than the
Doctor is the hero. I mean, does the man have a template he uses?

So the Tardis is a wish fulfillment device. All you have to do is
forcibly crack open the console and the genie comes out and grants you
your every wish. Resurrect dead people? No problem. Destroy Daleks with
a Jedi Knight like push of the hand? No problem? The Tardis is supposed
to be psychic and is supposed to have a psychic link to the Doctor and
Rose. So why didn't it willingly open up and let Rose perform her magic
act without her having to resort to chains and a tow truck?

Yes, yes, I got all the references to God-like powers. The emperor
Dalek called his minions "brethren". WE GET IT. I guess we're supposed
to consider this clever writing and foreshadowing and all that, but I
found it to be a load of crap.

And, as long as I'm complaining about stupid plotting, for crying out
loud, it's 200,000 years in the future and humans still use guns to
defend themselves? Small metal projectiles is the best we can do? In
all of the 200,000 years since Rose was born we haven't adapted one
piece of alien weaponry, haven't invented one energy beam weapon? Let's
get real. Anne Droid used a beam type weapon in the previous story.
(Aim for the eyestalk indeed!)

Eccleston's gone. Good bye. He was getting to be quite one-dimensional
and practically a victim. I never really warmed up to him. He didn't
have an ounce of charm and seemed pissed off all the time, fake smile
and overdone "Fantastic!" notwithstanding. I didn't get why he took a
shine to Lynda (with a Y); for a while there I thought she was going to
be another companion, though I couldn't see one skill or advantage she
could bring to Tardis. David Tennant can only be an improvement.
Tim Bruening
2006-06-10 22:33:06 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (Frodo & Gollum)(movie)
0-1 stars (Frodo & Sam)(movie)
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

It was around the year 200,000 AD. Why were the defenders of the
station mostly using 20th century machine guns, rather than 2,001st
century energy weapons?

Why didn't the Doctor use his teleporter (seen in Boomtown) to teleport
the Daleks into space, or an ocean, or a volcano?
Monsieur Tabernac
2006-06-10 22:36:09 UTC
On Sat, 10 Jun 2006 15:33:06 -0700, Tim Bruening
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by g***@comcast.net
[...]
Less work for the SFX team at The Mill.
Post by Tim Bruening
Why didn't the Doctor use his teleporter (seen in Boomtown) to teleport
the Daleks into space, or an ocean, or a volcano?
That was actually the Doctor using the sonic screwdriver to override
Margaret Slitheen's teleportation device. He didn't have one of his
own (and if he did, most episodes would be very short and boring).
Jim Wright
It wasn't his teleporter. He was mucking with Blon's.
Ubiquitous
2006-06-11 01:19:26 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Parting of the Ways"
6-9-06 Dr. Who
Wow! Four and a half stars, but I thought the explaination of "Bad
Wolf" was lame.
--
It is simply breathtaking to watch the glee and abandon with which
the liberal media and the Angry Left have been attempting to turn