Tennant at Comic Con today (no movie in the works)
Monsieur Tabernac
2009-07-26 19:43:26 UTC
No movie announcement, despite the rumours...

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2009/07/comiccon-doctor-who.html

Comic-Con: 'Doctor Who'

By Hanh Nguyen

The Doctor has landed in San Diego for Comic-Con.

David Tennant felt the love at his first-ever Comic-Con, alongside
"Doctor Who" writer/executive producer Russell T. Davies, executive
producer Julie Gardner and Euros Lyn, director of the "Doctor Who"
special "Planet of the Dead" to air on BBC America Sunday night.

Tennant pumped up the crowd, raising his hands triumphantly and
sporting a Comic-Con friendly bedazzled Imperial Stormtrooper t-shirt.
Though a tad blurry, check out the (blurry) photo of Tennant:

Davidtennant_panel

The teaser trailer for the Christmas 2009 finale elicited whoops and
cheers, the loudest for Donna (Catherine Tate) and the return of The
Master (John Simm). Oh, and the good doctor gets all action-hero-y as
he grimly walks away from a flaming explosion behind him.

Although the panelists were supposedly there to hype up Sunday's
"Planet of the Dead," the session really just devolved into shouts of
"We love you!" and "Why are you leaving?" and debunking various
rumors.

Cannot confirm:

- Garder disillusioned the fans that there was going to be an
announcement about a Doctor Who movie, although she added: "It made us
think that it might be good to do at some point. Is this something
that you want?" Uh, the ringing in your ears after the deafening
cheers sounds like a "yes."

- Although Tennant admits to being a fan of "Firefly" and "Serenity,"
he says his wearing a long brown coat is not an homage to the Joss
Whedon space series. When he got hired on, he reportedly asked the
producers, "Can I wear a really long coat?"

- Film projects Tennant discussed that he's NOT in: "I don't think
I'm in Harry Potter"; "I think James Bond's taken"; "Apparently I'm in
'The Hobbit.'"(Okay, as denials go, that last one is pretty vague
since he's referencing the reports only.)

Davidtennant_doctorwho_290 - On whether Tennant will return as The
Doctor for any special appearances, charity benefits, etc.: "Who
knows. The dust has to settle. I don't know, it's the 50th anniversary
in 2013, isn't it? I dunno. That's not making an announcement. There's
no plan. Don't Twitter that! That's not a thing! Yet!"

- Stealing something from the "Doctor Who" set: "One of the jackets
is missing ... a sequence in the finale one of the jackets gets
slightly compromised. So eBay is being scoured, but it wasn't me."

Can confirm:

- Tennant as the 10th Doctor will be in an upcoming "Sarah Jane
Adventures" episode titled "The Wedding of Sarah Jane Smith."

- He'll also appear as the villainous woman-hating Lord Pomfrey in
the upcoming UK-release film "St. Trinian's II: The Legend of
Fritton's Gold."

- The panel's Comic-Con appearance will be documented in an upcoming
"Doctor Who Confidential."

Except for those little tidbits, the remainder of the panel was just a
lovefest for the longevity of "Doctor Who" (including a presentation
of a Guinness World Records award for it being the most successful
science fiction show on TV), the show's integrity ("It's the same show
and the story continues I'm playing the same man that William Hartnell
was playing. I just have a slightly different wig.") and The Doctor's
ubiquity in the UK ("You go to the supermarket and your face is on a
cake and a t-shirt and children's pants.").

As for the as-yet untested 11th doctor, Matt Smith, Tennant reassured
fans, "I've chatted him out a couple times. .. he's clearly going to
brilliant, which is annoying. He's bright and normal and down to
earth. He doesn't need any help from me. You'll cry along with us,
then a few weeks later you'll think Matt Smith is the greatest thing
that's ever been. I'm proud to be handing it over in good health."

Doctorwho_pod_02 A few minutes of "Water of Mars," which will be the
next special to air after "Planet of the Dead," were shown at the end
of the panel in order to let the panelists make a getaway unnoticed.
The footage looks to be one of the more creepy installments of The
Doctors' adventures.

"Planet of the Dead," co-starring Michelle Ryan as the adventuresome
Lady Christina, airs Sunday, July 26 at 8 p.m. ET on BBC America.
Soze
Is this available to the rest of us anywhere??
Tim Bruening
Wow! I have now found the DW showrunner at the San Diego Comic Con in 2009, 2012, 2017, & 2018! 3 different showrunners involved!
The Doctor
2018-07-12 00:29:31 UTC
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
No movie announcement, despite the rumours...
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2009/07/comiccon-doctor-who.html
Comic-Con: 'Doctor Who'
By Hanh Nguyen
The Doctor has landed in San Diego for Comic-Con.
David Tennant felt the love at his first-ever Comic-Con, alongside
"Doctor Who" writer/executive producer Russell T. Davies, executive
producer Julie Gardner and Euros Lyn, director of the "Doctor Who"
special "Planet of the Dead" to air on BBC America Sunday night.
Wow! I have now found the DW showrunner at the San Diego Comic Con in
2009, 2012, 2017, & 2018! 3 different showrunners involved!
Cheers.
Our great weariness comes from work not done. -Eric Hoffer