Saints Peter and Paul Day OT
Add Reply
TB
2015-06-29 22:39:42 UTC
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Stephen Wilson
2015-06-30 16:21:48 UTC
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Was it? I tend not to pay much attention to the saints days as allocated by
the church. Actually, I pay no attention to them at all. I had more
important things to do yesterday than acknowledge the existence of a couple
of guys deemed important by the church, who probably did none of the things
attributed to them in real life...
solar penguin
2015-06-30 19:22:40 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Was it? I tend not to pay much attention to the saints days as allocated by
the church. Actually, I pay no attention to them at all. I had more
important things to do yesterday than acknowledge the existence of a couple
of guys deemed important by the church, who probably did none of the things
attributed to them in real life...
To be fair, Saint Paul probably did really write most of those
epistles. After all, someone must've done it and there are no
other candidates.
Dr. WTF
2015-06-30 20:44:06 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Was it? I tend not to pay much attention to the saints days as allocated by
the church. Actually, I pay no attention to them at all. I had more
important things to do yesterday than acknowledge the existence of a couple
of guys deemed important by the church, who probably did none of the things
attributed to them in real life...
To be fair, Saint Paul probably did really write most of those
epistles. After all, someone must've done it and there are no
other candidates.
Actually Biblical scholars have determined that less then half of the
Paul's writings were written by him. It is suspected that the rest were
group efforts but his name was used as the author.

So someone did do it, but preferred to use Paul as their pseudonym.
--
Dr. WTF
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho
Date: Sun, 22 Mar 2015 19:32:07 +0000
Subject: Who said ...

You can't make a silk purse out of a sows ear?

Dave's only problem is nobody has made the effort to show him how to
behave in polite society.

I'll have women swooning over him in no time.

Bill Jillians
TB
In other words, Biblical ghost writers!
Stephen Wilson
2015-07-01 16:34:09 UTC
Post by TB
Post by Dr. WTF
Post by solar penguin
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Was it? I tend not to pay much attention to the saints days as allocated by
the church. Actually, I pay no attention to them at all. I had more
important things to do yesterday than acknowledge the existence of a couple
of guys deemed important by the church, who probably did none of the things
attributed to them in real life...
To be fair, Saint Paul probably did really write most of those
epistles. After all, someone must've done it and there are no
other candidates.
Actually Biblical scholars have determined that less then half of the
Paul's writings were written by him. It is suspected that the rest were
group efforts but his name was used as the author.
So someone did do it, but preferred to use Paul as their pseudonym.
In other words, Biblical ghost writers!
Nobody knows who wrote the majority of the Bible. Most of its books were
written anonymously.
Andrew M
2015-07-01 00:37:30 UTC
Post by Dr. WTF
Post by solar penguin
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Was it? I tend not to pay much attention to the saints days as allocated by
the church. Actually, I pay no attention to them at all. I had more
important things to do yesterday than acknowledge the existence of a couple
of guys deemed important by the church, who probably did none of the things
attributed to them in real life...
To be fair, Saint Paul probably did really write most of those
epistles. After all, someone must've done it and there are no
other candidates.
Actually Biblical scholars have determined that less then half of the
Paul's writings were written by him. It is suspected that the rest
were group efforts but his name was used as the author.
So someone did do it, but preferred to use Paul as their pseudonym.
Actually Biblical scholarship has retreated from this position in
recent years. It's really only the pastoral epistles that are widely
held to be non-Pauline. Ephesians is still in the "questionable"
category, but the language is Pauline so many scholars now regard it as
a 'round-robin' letter that was copied to a number of churches.
Hebrews, which was titled as a letter of Paul in early bibles, makes no
intrinsic claim to Pauline authorship and has not been held to be
Pauline for about 1000 years.

Your point, though, is insubstantial. Paul did write to a lot of
churches - that's not the main point. He was held to be an authority by
those churches - that's why the letters were preserved. That's the main
point.
Peter J Ross
2015-07-01 16:23:17 UTC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Dr. WTF
Post by solar penguin
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
[...]
Yep. That's a pretty fair summary. Personally, I take the view that
the core of Ephesians is a "pious fraud", compiled by an honest
follower of Paul who was familiar with authentic Pauline teaching and
style, and who introduced nothing new except by mistake.

IMO, the "pastoral epistles" go beyond "pious fraud" to impious fraud:
they were written by a partisan of one school of thought in order to
defeat the opposing school of thought by fraudulently claiming
apostolic authority. (This is not to say that bits of them, such as
the salutations, weren't copied from authentic writings, now lost, in
order to make the lie more plausible.)

All the Pauline epistles are fascinating documents, whoever wrote
them. Problems only arise when people treat them as divine truth.
--
PJR :-)

τὸν οἰόμενον νόον ἔχειν ὁ νουθετέων ματαιοπονεῖ.
- Democritus
TB
What would Christianity and the world be like if not for Saint Paul's contributions?
Doctor WTF
2015-07-01 18:53:18 UTC
Post by TB
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Andrew M
Post by Dr. WTF
Post by solar penguin
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
[...]
Don't know about the world, but Christianity could look more like the
original teachings of Jesus about acceptance and love and community.

Just a thought.
--
Dr. WTF
Newsgroups: rec.arts.drwho

Bill Jillians
Peter J Ross
2015-07-01 21:36:09 UTC
In rec.arts.drwho on Wed, 01 Jul 2015 12:53:18 -0600, Doctor WTF
Post by Doctor WTF
Post by TB
Post by Peter J Ross
Post by Andrew M
Post by Dr. WTF
Post by solar penguin
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
[...]
Nobody knows anything about the original teachings of Jesus.

We know quite a lot about St Paul and his teachings, because his
writings have been preserved, but all we know about Jesus and his
teachings comes from the polemical writings of people (including St
Paul) who probably never even met him.

"Acceptance, love and community" are all very well, if you're a hippy,
but there's no reliable evidence that Jesus ever said anything about
any of those topics.

As for me, I prefer Heraclitus, Parmenides, Aristotle, Hume and
Nietzsche.

- Democritus
Agamemnon
2015-06-30 21:14:16 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Was it? I tend not to pay much attention to the saints days as allocated by
the church. Actually, I pay no attention to them at all. I had more
important things to do yesterday than acknowledge the existence of a couple
of guys deemed important by the church, who probably did none of the things
attributed to them in real life...
To be fair, Saint Paul probably did really write most of those
epistles. After all, someone must've done it and there are no
other candidates.
Not if he was a fictitious person based on the Saul from Josephus'
Jewish War.
Your Name
2015-06-30 21:25:30 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Was it? I tend not to pay much attention to the saints days as allocated by
the church. Actually, I pay no attention to them at all. I had more
important things to do yesterday than acknowledge the existence of a couple
of guys deemed important by the church, who probably did none of the things
attributed to them in real life...
To be fair, Saint Paul probably did really write most of those
epistles. After all, someone must've done it and there are no
other candidates.
The church, being sexist as usual, left out Mary ... Saints Peter,
Paul, and Mary Day. ;-)

Hint: http://www.peterpaulandmary.com
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter,_Paul_and_Mary
Stephen Wilson
2015-06-30 22:01:00 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Was it? I tend not to pay much attention to the saints days as allocated by
the church. Actually, I pay no attention to them at all. I had more
important things to do yesterday than acknowledge the existence of a couple
of guys deemed important by the church, who probably did none of the things
attributed to them in real life...
To be fair, Saint Paul probably did really write most of those
epistles. After all, someone must've done it and there are no
other candidates.
To be fair, Paul probably wrote 7 of the 13 epistles attributed to him. How
much of what we can agree he wrote is based on fact and how much on fantasy
is another matter again.
Andrew M
2015-07-01 00:30:58 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Was it? I tend not to pay much attention to the saints days as
allocated by the church. Actually, I pay no attention to them at all. I
had more important things to do yesterday than acknowledge the
existence of a couple of guys deemed important by the church, who
probably did none of the things attributed to them in real life...
But oddly you had nothing better to do when it came to responding to
this post. Maybe your time-management skills are particularly good
Stephen Wilson
2015-07-01 16:48:44 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Was it? I tend not to pay much attention to the saints days as allocated
by the church. Actually, I pay no attention to them at all. I had more
important things to do yesterday than acknowledge the existence of a
couple of guys deemed important by the church, who probably did none of
the things attributed to them in real life...
But oddly you had nothing better to do when it came to responding to this
post. Maybe your time-management skills are particularly good
Apparently Peter and Paul's day was on Monday. I don't think I found time to
even log on that day. My response to the post was on Tuesday, when I had a
little time to skim read posts on radw. So no, not that odd.

How does one celebrate Peter and Paul's day? And other than Tim, nobody I
know of was even aware that we were meant to be observing it in any way...

The only saints days that I ever acknowledge in any way are St David's Day
and St Patrick's Day.
St David's Day isn't about the saint though - it's about celebrating Wales,
when some children dress up in national costume and many restaurants will
serve traditional Welsh dishes. And St Patrick's Day is about drinking
Guinness, and wearing a green hat pretending to be a leprechaun.
Peter J Ross
2015-07-01 18:24:36 UTC
In rec.arts.drwho on Wed, 1 Jul 2015 17:48:44 +0100, Stephen Wilson
Post by Stephen Wilson
The only saints days that I ever acknowledge in any way are St David's Day
and St Patrick's Day.
St David's Day isn't about the saint though - it's about celebrating Wales,
when some children dress up in national costume and many restaurants will
serve traditional Welsh dishes. And St Patrick's Day is about drinking
Guinness, and wearing a green hat pretending to be a leprechaun.
I similarly celebrate St Andrew's Day and St Burns's Night.

My better half and I also commemorate St Cyril and St Methodius on
February 14th, as a protest against a certain commercial celebration
that starts in the supermarkets as soon as Xmas is over.

But really, St Anyexcuseforapissup is my favourite.

- Democritus
Your Name
2015-07-01 22:20:30 UTC
Post by Stephen Wilson
The only saints days that I ever acknowledge in any way are St David's Day
and St Patrick's Day.
St David's Day isn't about the saint though - it's about celebrating Wales,
when some children dress up in national costume and many restaurants will
serve traditional Welsh dishes. And St Patrick's Day is about drinking
Guinness, and wearing a green hat pretending to be a leprechaun.
I similarly celebrate St Andrew's Day and St Burns's Night.
My better half and I also commemorate St Cyril and St Methodius on
February 14th, as a protest against a certain commercial celebration
that starts in the supermarkets as soon as Xmas is over.
But really, St Anyexcuseforapissup is my favourite.
There's a few websites that list all the "celebratory" days (Talk Like
a Pirate Day, National Chocolate Eating Day, etc.) from various
countries.
TB
Do you give each other gifts on Feb 14?
Timothy Bruening
2018-06-30 06:21:04 UTC
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
The Doctor
2018-06-30 13:42:59 UTC
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Stop Disrespecting, polluting and spamtrolling rec.arts.drwho Tim!!

You are making enemies!! Your behaviour is unexceptable Tim!

You are showing yourself to be anti-social.
By the work one knows the workmen. -Jean De La Fontaine
Tim Bruening
2020-06-30 06:15:03 UTC
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
The Doctor
2020-06-30 12:22:30 UTC
Post by TB
Happy Saints Peter and Paul Day on June 29.
Timbot Bruening is like a child abuser!
Timbot Bruening is the spam blogger of rec.arts.drwho. Timbot Bruening is
a loathesome creature! Inspired by Idlehands , condoned by Stephen Wilson.
Look, yet another irrelevant Timbot Bruening post to rec.arts.drwho!!
Unsubscribe and leave rec.arts.drwho for making me go over 200000 posts ever!
nk.ca started 1 June 1995 . https://www.empire.kred/ROOTNK?t=94a1f39b
Joy is not in things; it is in us. -Richard Wagner