S7E09 Cold War
Add Reply
Agamemnon
2013-04-13 20:05:57 UTC
Getting closer and closer to classic Doctor Who again. TARDIS not turning up
at the right location as usual, deliberately taking them into danger and
then disappearing. Also get to see what an Ice Warrior really looks like.

Once more the same story briefs are being recycled over and over again. This
time it's the same one as Dalek, "write a story about a stranded alien that
thinks it's the last of its kind".

Obviously the guy with the beard was intended to be based on Sean Connery in
'The hunt for Red October' but the fact that all the Russians sounded like
they attended some British public school or other didn't feel right. It
would have been better if they all sounded like they had Russian accents
apart from maybe the professor who was into the New Romantics.

Jenna-Louise Coleman is brilliant as Clara. Matt Smith great as usual.

Liked all the tension that was built up.

If the old serial format had been resurrected then this story could have
been developed further over 4 to 6 episodes with episodes 1-2 being set in
the submarine and the rest on land after the Ice Warrior had been rescued.

Best series so far since Doctor Who returned to our screens.

10/10

Now how does the Doctor get the TARDIS back from the south pole?
The Doctor
2013-04-13 21:53:36 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
You rock Ag!
--
Member - Liberal International This is ***@nl2k.ab.ca Ici ***@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 amnd 53 on Atheism
I am a New World Order Enemy - I am an enemy of totalitarians and dictators.
AC
2013-04-13 23:03:22 UTC
Post by Agamemnon
Getting closer and closer to classic Doctor Who again. TARDIS not turning up
at the right location as usual, deliberately taking them into danger and
then disappearing. Also get to see what an Ice Warrior really looks like.
Once more the same story briefs are being recycled over and over again. This
time it's the same one as Dalek, "write a story about a stranded alien that
thinks it's the last of its kind".
I said that. Thing is, isn't this recycling getting a bit blatant?
Post by Agamemnon
Obviously the guy with the beard was intended to be based on Sean Connery in
'The hunt for Red October'
Was so hoping they'd name him Ramius.
Post by Agamemnon
but the fact that all the Russians sounded like
they attended some British public school or other didn't feel right. It
would have been better if they all sounded like they had Russian accents
I initially thought it was a bit lazy, but then I ended up thinking it
was simply honest. What is the point of doing an accent when it is
established that in fact they are all talking Russian, and the TARDIS,
even though it buggered off, is doing the translating? Seems a lot of
extra work to not only translate, but do funny accents as well.
Post by Agamemnon
apart from maybe the professor who was into the New Romantics.
Jenna-Louise Coleman is brilliant as Clara. Matt Smith great as usual.
Liked all the tension that was built up.
Cant say I noticed.
Post by Agamemnon
If the old serial format had been resurrected then this story could have
been developed further over 4 to 6 episodes with episodes 1-2 being set in
the submarine and the rest on land after the Ice Warrior had been rescued.
Perhaps this is not the last we have heard from our Ice Warrior.
Post by Agamemnon
Best series so far since Doctor Who returned to our screens.
Nah. Average.
Post by Agamemnon
10/10
Arent they all?
Post by Agamemnon
Now how does the Doctor get the TARDIS back from the south pole?
Well, if it can piss off on its own, why cant he recall it?
AC
Monsieur Tabernac
2013-04-13 23:09:29 UTC
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
If the old serial format had been resurrected then this story could have
been developed further over 4 to 6 episodes with episodes 1-2 being set in
the submarine and the rest on land after the Ice Warrior had been rescued.
Too much, I think. The story would stretch and break.
Post by AC
Perhaps this is not the last we have heard from our Ice Warrior.
That's what I was thinking. If it indeed follows the pattern set by
"Dalek", we'll be seeing more of our frosty friends in the future. I
think the episode did a good job in making us want more of the Ice
Warriors; plus I've always wondered what they might have looked like
under the shell.

My only real complaint is that I would have preferred to not have seen
the face of the creature; some things are better left to the
imagination (especially as the CGI wasn't quite convincing enough).

Since he's a "grand marshall", I suppose that means they've done away
with the leader class?
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Best series so far since Doctor Who returned to our screens.
Nah. Average.
Better than average, I think.
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
10/10
Arent they all?
7/10 ?
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Now how does the Doctor get the TARDIS back from the south pole?
Well, if it can piss off on its own, why cant he recall it?
I don't think the Doctor has ever been able to recall the TARDIS. I'm
trying to think of an example, but I'm coming up empty. Perhaps his
UNIT pals can come and pick him up.
The Doctor
2013-04-13 23:36:50 UTC
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Best series so far since Doctor Who returned to our screens.
Nah. Average.
Better than average, I think.
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
10/10
Arent they all?
7/10 ?
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Now how does the Doctor get the TARDIS back from the south pole?
Well, if it can piss off on its own, why cant he recall it?
I don't think the Doctor has ever been able to recall the TARDIS. I'm
trying to think of an example, but I'm coming up empty. Perhaps his
UNIT pals can come and pick him up.
Wait a moment, Canada sees this in 23 minutes.
Andrew M
2013-04-14 00:16:37 UTC
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Perhaps this is not the last we have heard from our Ice Warrior.
That's what I was thinking. If it indeed follows the pattern set by
"Dalek", we'll be seeing more of our frosty friends in the future. I
think the episode did a good job in making us want more of the Ice
Warriors; plus I've always wondered what they might have looked like
under the shell.
My only real complaint is that I would have preferred to not have seen
the face of the creature; some things are better left to the
imagination (especially as the CGI wasn't quite convincing enough).
Since he's a "grand marshall", I suppose that means they've done away
with the leader class?
Not necessarily. IIRC the previous Ice Warrior stories were all set in
our present/future. Perhaps the development ofthe "leader class" took
place during Skaldak's 5000 year hibernation
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Best series so far since Doctor Who returned to our screens.
Nah. Average.
Better than average, I think.
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
10/10
Arent they all?
7/10 ?
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Now how does the Doctor get the TARDIS back from the south pole?
Well, if it can piss off on its own, why cant he recall it?
I don't think the Doctor has ever been able to recall the TARDIS. I'm
trying to think of an example, but I'm coming up empty. Perhaps his
UNIT pals can come and pick him up.
I'm inclined to think, given the circumstances, that Zhukov will indeed
give him a lift
Monsieur Tabernac
2013-04-14 00:30:57 UTC
On Sun, 14 Apr 2013 01:16:37 +0100, Andrew M
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
My only real complaint is that I would have preferred to not have seen
the face of the creature; some things are better left to the
imagination (especially as the CGI wasn't quite convincing enough).
Since he's a "grand marshall", I suppose that means they've done away
with the leader class?
Not necessarily. IIRC the previous Ice Warrior stories were all set in
our present/future. Perhaps the development ofthe "leader class" took
place during Skaldak's 5000 year hibernation
That's actually a good point. All of the "leader class" Ice Warriors
were seen in stories set in the future. The first Ice Warriors story
also involved unfrozen Warriors (from the last ice age... 12,000 years
ago or so) and they didn't have any Vaderesque leader classes.
Post by Andrew M
Given the state of that sub, it might be difficult!
The Doctor
2013-04-14 02:14:24 UTC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
My only real complaint is that I would have preferred to not have seen
the face of the creature; some things are better left to the
imagination (especially as the CGI wasn't quite convincing enough).
Since he's a "grand marshall", I suppose that means they've done away
with the leader class?
Not necessarily. IIRC the previous Ice Warrior stories were all set in
our present/future. Perhaps the development ofthe "leader class" took
place during Skaldak's 5000 year hibernation
That's actually a good point. All of the "leader class" Ice Warriors
were seen in stories set in the future. The first Ice Warriors story
also involved unfrozen Warriors (from the last ice age... 12,000 years
ago or so) and they didn't have any Vaderesque leader classes.
Well Ice Lords and ICe Warriors do differ.
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Now how does the Doctor get the TARDIS back from the south pole?
Well, if it can piss off on its own, why cant he recall it?
I don't think the Doctor has ever been able to recall the TARDIS. I'm
trying to think of an example, but I'm coming up empty. Perhaps his
UNIT pals can come and pick him up.
I'm inclined to think, given the circumstances, that Zhukov will indeed
give him a lift
Given the state of that sub, it might be difficult!
As long as it was on the SU side of the Arctic, something could be arranged.
Monsieur Tabernac
2013-04-14 16:15:23 UTC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
My only real complaint is that I would have preferred to not have seen
the face of the creature; some things are better left to the
imagination (especially as the CGI wasn't quite convincing enough).
Since he's a "grand marshall", I suppose that means they've done away
with the leader class?
Not necessarily. IIRC the previous Ice Warrior stories were all set in
our present/future. Perhaps the development ofthe "leader class" took
place during Skaldak's 5000 year hibernation
That's actually a good point. All of the "leader class" Ice Warriors
were seen in stories set in the future. The first Ice Warriors story
also involved unfrozen Warriors (from the last ice age... 12,000 years
ago or so) and they didn't have any Vaderesque leader classes.
I got that wrong. "The Ice Warriors" (original story) was set in an
ice age (far?) in the FUTURE, so we've never seen an Ice Warrior as
old as the one in "Cold War". Still, nothing goes against your theory
that the leader class was a future innovation, so I think that
explains it all.
The Doctor
2013-04-14 02:13:17 UTC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Perhaps this is not the last we have heard from our Ice Warrior.
That's what I was thinking. If it indeed follows the pattern set by
"Dalek", we'll be seeing more of our frosty friends in the future. I
think the episode did a good job in making us want more of the Ice
Warriors; plus I've always wondered what they might have looked like
under the shell.
My only real complaint is that I would have preferred to not have seen
the face of the creature; some things are better left to the
imagination (especially as the CGI wasn't quite convincing enough).
Since he's a "grand marshall", I suppose that means they've done away
with the leader class?
Not necessarily. IIRC the previous Ice Warrior stories were all set in
our present/future. Perhaps the development ofthe "leader class" took
place during Skaldak's 5000 year hibernation
500 years and someone comes to amswer his distress call.
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Best series so far since Doctor Who returned to our screens.
Nah. Average.
Better than average, I think.
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
10/10
Arent they all?
7/10 ?
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Now how does the Doctor get the TARDIS back from the south pole?
Well, if it can piss off on its own, why cant he recall it?
I don't think the Doctor has ever been able to recall the TARDIS. I'm
trying to think of an example, but I'm coming up empty. Perhaps his
UNIT pals can come and pick him up.
I'm inclined to think, given the circumstances, that Zhukov will indeed
give him a lift
Or arrange for something.
AC
2013-04-14 09:25:56 UTC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Now how does the Doctor get the TARDIS back from the south pole?
Well, if it can piss off on its own, why cant he recall it?
I don't think the Doctor has ever been able to recall the TARDIS. I'm
trying to think of an example, but I'm coming up empty. Perhaps his
UNIT pals can come and pick him up.
I'm inclined to think, given the circumstances, that Zhukov will indeed
give him a lift
I thought the sub was knackered. Besides, that would take ages and be
really boring. Cant see Clara and the Doc sitting that still for that
long at all.

So, they would probably have to be taken to the USSR (80's remember),
and flown from here. However, in the hight of the cold war, I'm not so
sure the KGB would let the Doctor and Clara through that easily,
especially after such an incident, on a nuclear sub, with a dead
political officer. So, off they go for interrogation, which likely means
a medical...

Dunno how far people want to take this fiction, but as I understand it,
Clara would probably still be in a Siberian prison as we speak, while
parts of the Doctor would be in jars. Probably disappeared and dead.

Which is why I'm sticking with a TARDIS recall.

Mind you, I'd love to see a follow up episode. Clara an the Doc end up
in Soviet interrogation, they discover the Doctor is unusual, monsters
turn up and they get away some how.
AC
The Doctor
2013-04-14 12:53:50 UTC
Post by AC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
Maybe the UNIT credentials help out.
AC
2013-04-14 14:56:34 UTC
Post by AC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
Well, my TARDIS recall idea was shot down because its not been shown to
happen before. So, is there any instance of UNIT working with the
Soviets or KGB? I don't recall any, but I'm not *that* much of a fan. If
so, then yeah, that would be the obvious thing to do.

Was Torchwood around? Jack?
AC
Monsieur Tabernac
2013-04-14 16:13:08 UTC
Post by AC
Post by The Doctor
Post by AC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
Not necessarily shot down -- he could have one. But I don't think
this was a particularly important point, just a chance to say a bit of
a joke at the end of the episode.
Post by AC
Was Torchwood around? Jack?
As good a solution as any!
AC
2013-04-14 18:13:47 UTC
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by The Doctor
Post by AC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
I didnt quite mean it that harshly.

But I don't think
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
this was a particularly important point, just a chance to say a bit of
a joke at the end of the episode.
Sure, but I did immediately wonder how the Doc and TARDIS would reunite.
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Was Torchwood around? Jack?
As good a solution as any!
Well, it does work better in my mind anyway. I can well imagine the
Soviets being deeply suspicious of UNIT, given its heavily military
vibe. On the other hand, I can well imagine Jack having a "friend" in
the KGB.

Ah, ah, ah, I've got it. Jack Ryan, or John Clarke and the Foleys get
him out. Red October? Subs. 80's. Tom Clancy. Deep Trouble. Yeah,
that'll do me. I want the episode, "The Doctor of the Kremlin".

Too much of a tangent?
AC
The Doctor
2013-04-14 20:06:10 UTC
Post by AC
Post by The Doctor
Post by AC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
Torchwood UK only, UNIT - Un Intelligence Taskforce.
Reader in Invisible Writings
2013-04-14 20:49:00 UTC
Post by AC
Post by The Doctor
Post by AC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
With most of the crew dead and the remaining 'important people' on his
side it would be time to whip out the old physic paper and convince the
rescue team and all others of his credentials as a KGB officer who
stopped a deep sleeper as the politico who murdered crew and crippled
the sub so that a launch by the sub of two missiles could justify a
multi missile counter attack by the US*. Further investigations would
require him to visit the Soviet Antarctica base... All sorted - no problem!

*very long sentence there!
--
Reader in Invisible Writings
Something to Ponder on!
AC
2013-04-15 01:40:57 UTC
Post by Reader in Invisible Writings
Post by AC
Post by The Doctor
Post by AC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
Yeah, that could work well enough.
AC
The Doctor
2013-04-15 13:08:05 UTC
Post by AC
Post by The Doctor
Post by AC
Post by Andrew M
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
[...]
Well a UN Scientific Advisor might work too.
AC
2013-04-14 09:14:03 UTC
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
Post by AC
Perhaps this is not the last we have heard from our Ice Warrior.
That's what I was thinking. If it indeed follows the pattern set by
"Dalek", we'll be seeing more of our frosty friends in the future. I
think the episode did a good job in making us want more of the Ice
Warriors; plus I've always wondered what they might have looked like
under the shell.
Well, if I had a 50p bet, I reckon will see lots of them later on. And
then it will probably be over done and cheapened. Always happens. Most
SF shows over expose the baddies in the end.
Post by Monsieur Tabernac
My only real complaint is that I would have preferred to not have seen
the face of the creature; some things are better left to the
imagination (especially as the CGI wasn't quite convincing enough).
The age old problem with monsters vs budget. I was kinda hoping we
wouldnt see more than brief flashes and the hands. That way, save the
budget, and use it in a later episode to do it better. But in the end,
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Best series so far since Doctor Who returned to our screens.
Nah. Average.
Better than average, I think.
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
10/10
Arent they all?
7/10 ?
Post by AC
Post by Agamemnon
Now how does the Doctor get the TARDIS back from the south pole?
Well, if it can piss off on its own, why cant he recall it?
I don't think the Doctor has ever been able to recall the TARDIS. I'm
trying to think of an example, but I'm coming up empty. Perhaps his
UNIT pals can come and pick him up.
I cant either, but I fine it absurd to have have a send away function
with out any recall. Mind you, the Doctor seems to have no control over
where it goes, so I suppose its possible.
--
AC