2nd Season Dr. Who - The Satan Pit - 5 star poll - SPOILERS AHOY !
Add Reply
g***@yahoo.com
2006-12-02 03:00:17 UTC

2006-12-02 03:24:03 UTC

2006-12-02 03:39:53 UTC

2006-12-02 13:21:21 UTC
I liked it.
Sell it, bitch!
..
Garondo Marondo!
Time for a review.
--
Member - Liberal International
This is ***@nl2k.ab.ca Ici ***@nl2k.ab.ca
God Queen and country! Beware Anti-Christ rising!
Happy Christmas 2006 and Merry New Year 2007.
Jaime M. de Castellvi
2006-12-02 19:58:01 UTC
On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 03:24:03 GMT, Captain Infinity
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by g***@yahoo.com
"The Satan Pit"
12-1-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (William Friedkin)
0-1 stars (Renny Harlin)
I liked it.
**
Captain Infinity
Me too.

Cheers,

Jaime
a***@yahoo.com
2006-12-02 03:25:37 UTC
Post by g***@yahoo.com
"The Satan Pit"
12-1-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (William Friedkin)
0-1 stars (Renny Harlin)
-George
Somewhere around a three. It did not hold my attention the way the
first part did.
p***@aol.com
2006-12-02 04:18:05 UTC
Post by g***@yahoo.com
"The Satan Pit"
12-1-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (William Friedkin)
0-1 stars (Renny Harlin)
-George
I seem to be in the minority who preferred it to the first half - the
ending was a bit of a stretch, but can be explained when we know that:

1. The TARDIS landed very near the area the team was drilling down to
(i.e. the Pit), as the Doctor mentions in the first half.

2. The crevasse the earthquake opened was presumably accessible from
the Pit - bear in mind that it's only after the earthquake that the
Beast was able to send his spirit to mess around with the station
(we've been told the team had been there two years by that point,
presumably with no Beast). So the earthquake seems to have given him a
way out of his prison before the seal was opened; it would also have
given a falling TARDIS a way in.

3. We don't know quite how far the Doctor was from the Pit when he
bumped into the TARDIS, but we do know he'd just left it - it's not
wholly impossible that the TARDIS was down an earthquake-opened side
corridor.

Though having said all of this, it could have been done more cleverly.
The Doctor knew that the TARDIS would be nearby, so why doesn't he
apparently think of this rather than lucking out? We also know the
TARDIS key lights up when the TARDIS is near - could he have thought to
use it as a compass to find his ship?

Other than that, I liked the Doctor/Ida interaction and the faster pace
of the story. The only real low point was the fact that the ventilation
tunnel run was such a cliche, but then you don't watch Doctor Who for
incredibly original storytelling, and I did like Rose's "Who's idea was
that?" line. Zack gets an opportunity to use some initiative as well.
And was that a hint at the end that we'll be seeing these characters
again? How often does the Doctor tell a story's supporting cast member
he hopes to see them again? And Danny's muttering at the end - just
relief, or a possible indication that the Beast has taken up residence
in him (Toby muttered a fair bit too)? Bear in mind the prophecy - "You
will die, and I will live". Okay, the Beast also prophesied "You will
all die here", but that can be taken as an attempt to rattle them since
it seems he planned all along to leave the planet using one of them as
a host (plus it's inconsistent with his next line that Rose would die
in battle anyway), but we're supposed to take at least part of the
other line as prophetic. Which suggests the other part may be as well,
and that we could be seeing the Beast again.

4/5

Phil
Deke
2006-12-02 04:21:58 UTC
Post by g***@yahoo.com
"The Satan Pit"
12-1-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (William Friedkin)
0-1 stars (Renny Harlin)
-George
1.5 (yawn)
Teh Wraith O Smeg
2006-12-02 08:44:50 UTC
Post by g***@yahoo.com
"The Satan Pit"
12-1-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (William Friedkin)
0-1 stars (Renny Harlin)
-George
Another +5 star effort in my view, gosh, I hope this keeps up!

Bloody fantastic!

-Wraith-
-Wraith- out of five
The Christmas Invasion ****
New Earth **
Tooth And Claw *****
Slut In The Fireplace **
Rise of the Wannabe Cybermen **
Age of Boredom **
The Idiot's Lantern ***
The Impossible Planet More than 5
The Satan Pit More than 5
David B
2006-12-02 08:45:35 UTC
Post by g***@yahoo.com
"The Satan Pit"
12-1-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (William Friedkin)
0-1 stars (Renny Harlin)
-George
2.0, worst episode of this and last season. I was so bored I kept
nodding off. Part one was so good.
Teh Wraith O Smeg
2006-12-02 11:25:11 UTC
Post by g***@yahoo.com
"The Satan Pit"
12-1-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (William Friedkin)
0-1 stars (Renny Harlin)
-George
Some grand writing.

From the Doctor: "It's that feeling you get... That strange little
impulse... That mad little voice saying, 'Go on, go on, go on!'"

Rose: "Doctor, is there such a thing? Is it real?" (re: Satan)

Doctor: "If you are the Beast, answer me, which one? Cuz the universe has
been busy since you've been gone" Very Doctory delivery to the whole line.
DT RULES as the Doctor. Positively. LOVE IT!

Danny: "But that's how the devil works!"
Doctor: "Or a good psychologist!"

So much great stuff in this episode. I love it.

I am such a geek.
--
-Wraith- out of five
The Christmas Invasion ****
New Earth **
Tooth And Claw *****
Slut In The Fireplace **
Rise of the Wannabe Cybermen **
Age of Boredom **
The Idiot's Lantern ***
The Impossible Planet +5 out of 5
The Satan Pit +5 out of 5
US 71
2006-12-02 16:09:30 UTC
2 Stars:

I missed the first half, so it was hard to keep up with the 2nd half.
a***@yahoo.com
2006-12-02 19:35:55 UTC
I rank this two parter as some of the best ever Dr.Who stories.. I only
have TWO minor complaints about the script:

1) How easily he found the TARDIS. I mean, I could have accepted it
being down there and him finding it, except it wasn't even laying on
its side and didn't even have any rubble around it. I would have
accepted it better had it been tilted over like we saw in Castrovalva
half-covered in dirt or rubble.. but to just be standing there as if it
has materialized there, I found hard to believe.

2) The doctor falls, but survives due to an "air cushion?" What is
that supposed to mean? I really liked the little speech about having
faith before he let go of the rope. I mean, it was a hard decision to
make. Of course he knew he'd die anyway because he'd run out of air in
his suit and there was no way back up. But it was still a hard choice
to make, possibly dying sooner and of a more horrible death than slowly
falling asleep due to lack of oxygen. But I thought it was a stupid
way to end that scene with him being saved by an "air cushion." Lets
face it, in a normal gravity environment, terminal velocity is plenty
high enough to kill somebody (if you don't believe me, go jump out of
an airplane) And one might say that since it was the center of the
planet, that gravity wasn't normal. This is clearly dispelled by the
fact that he was walking normal, and the rocks he was lifting seemed
quite heavy. And even had the gravity been less, then the air-pressure
would be less too (what makes air pressure, if not gravity?) so it
wouldn't have mattered. And even if the fall were miles, and there
were NO gravity in the center, he would have still had enough momentum
he would have splatted.

So how would I have done the scene? I would have had him fall 30 feet
as he mentioned.. he couldn't see the bottom, but it might only be 30
feet away. If gravity was slightly less than earth norm, 30 feet would
be survivable with no injuries.

Beyond these two issues, I thought the rest of the script was great.
Captain Infinity
2006-12-02 22:06:28 UTC
Post by a***@yahoo.com
I rank this two parter as some of the best ever Dr.Who stories.. I only
1) How easily he found the TARDIS.
2) The doctor falls, but survives due to an "air cushion?" What is
that supposed to mean?
Both of those bugged me as well, but what really set off my BS detector
was Rose walking in the front door of the TARDIS at the end of the
episode. Last we saw, she was inside a spaceship being towed by the
TARDIS at a considerable distance. I can only assume that she "swam"
across interstellar space (without a spacesuit, of course) to get to the
outside of the TARDIS, and then walked inside. Yup, that's gotta be it.

**
Captain Infinity
BTR1701
2006-12-02 23:05:12 UTC
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by a***@yahoo.com
I rank this two parter as some of the best ever Dr.Who stories.. I only
1) How easily he found the TARDIS.
2) The doctor falls, but survives due to an "air cushion?" What is
that supposed to mean?
Both of those bugged me as well, but what really set off my BS detector
was Rose walking in the front door of the TARDIS at the end of the
episode. Last we saw, she was inside a spaceship being towed by the
TARDIS at a considerable distance. I can only assume that she "swam"
across interstellar space (without a spacesuit, of course) to get to the
outside of the TARDIS, and then walked inside. Yup, that's gotta be it.
I was under the impression that once the TARDIS towed the rocket safely
out of the gravity well, the Doctor rematerialized it inside the
rocket's cargo hold.

That's why after the scene with Rose, it switches back to the rocket's
cockpit and one of the crew describes it to the captain, "It was just a
big blue box, right down there in the hold."
Captain Infinity
2006-12-02 23:26:31 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by Captain Infinity
what really set off my BS detector
was Rose walking in the front door of the TARDIS at the end of the
episode. Last we saw, she was inside a spaceship being towed by the
TARDIS at a considerable distance. I can only assume that she "swam"
across interstellar space (without a spacesuit, of course) to get to the
outside of the TARDIS, and then walked inside. Yup, that's gotta be it.
I was under the impression that once the TARDIS towed the rocket safely
out of the gravity well, the Doctor rematerialized it inside the
rocket's cargo hold.
That's why after the scene with Rose, it switches back to the rocket's
cockpit and one of the crew describes it to the captain, "It was just a
big blue box, right down there in the hold."
Ah, that'll work, thanks.

**
Captain Infinity
Teh Wraith O Smeg
2006-12-03 00:18:02 UTC

Post by Captain Infinity
was Rose walking in the front door of the TARDIS at the end of the
episode. Last we saw, she was inside a spaceship being towed by the
TARDIS at a considerable distance. I can only assume that she "swam"
across interstellar space (without a spacesuit, of course) to get to the
outside of the TARDIS, and then walked inside. Yup, that's gotta be it.
<Doctor Who Continuity Geek Mode>
I reference "Horns of Nimon" part one, in which the Doctor visibly
demonstrates that the TARDIS can, in fact, do this. With Romana. And K9.
:D
</Doctor Who Continuity Geek Mode>
Post by Captain Infinity
**
Captain Infinity
I feel really old now.
-Wraith-
Jaime M. de Castellvi
2006-12-02 19:59:42 UTC
Post by g***@yahoo.com
"The Satan Pit"
12-1-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (William Friedkin)
0-1 stars (Renny Harlin)
-George
4.2 (just to piss off any closet devil-worshippers in the peanut
gallery)

Cheers,

Jaime
John VanSickle
2006-12-02 21:34:08 UTC
Post by Jaime M. de Castellvi
Post by g***@yahoo.com
"The Satan Pit"
12-1-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (William Friedkin)
0-1 stars (Renny Harlin)
-George
4.2 (just to piss off any closet devil-worshippers in the peanut
gallery)
You mean, a.f.t-s?

Regards,
John
Jaime M. de Castellvi
2006-12-03 00:49:30 UTC
On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 21:34:08 GMT, John VanSickle
Post by John VanSickle
Post by Jaime M. de Castellvi
Post by g***@yahoo.com
"The Satan Pit"
12-1-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (William Friedkin)
0-1 stars (Renny Harlin)
-George
4.2 (just to piss off any closet devil-worshippers in the peanut
gallery)
You mean, a.f.t-s?
What's that supposed to stand for? alt.faith.try-satan?

Cheers,

Jaime