Mercy Me! A Town Called Mercy (Review)
Add Reply
powrwrap
2012-09-16 16:42:46 UTC
5/10.

Mercy me, but Moffatt is making the Doctor into an unrecognizable character. Last week (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship) the Doctor enables the killing of Solomon by placing a tracking device in his ship and then jettisoning the ship into the pathway of missiles. This week he is giggling while picking up guns and threatening to shoot people.

What next? The Doctor, ala Rambo, with a gatling gun device mowing down aliens?

How far removed is this Doctor from Hartnell's Doctor in "The Gunfighters" where he says, "everyone keeps handing me guns and I do wish they would stop."

Lots of plot holes in this one. The cyborg soldier cannot enter the town because there is a pile of rocks, boards, and logs around the perimeter? He's just going to hang around until Jex happens to show himself out in the open? I understand he's not supposed to hurt innocent people unless absolutely necessary, but what prevents him from taking a look around the town? The townspeople are deathly afraid of him--why?

After the townspeople determine the Doctor is an 'alien Doctor' they cart him off and throw him outside the perimeter even though they know he's not the target of the Cyborg. Huh?

What was the deal with the middle eastern music during the bar scene?

The whole bit with the Doctor talking to the horse was silly. Rory didn't do a darn thing in this episode and Amy scarcely had a role. The high noon scene was a cliche.

I did like the setting for this episode. I liked the Marshall character. The moral introspection by Jex over the burden of what he had done was well done. His suicide to prevent the townspeople from being harmed by the Cyborg was somewhat empty as he knew the town was in no danger. He could have achieved the same results by walking outside the 'fence' of piled up logs and let the Cyborg complete his mission.

This Doctor is getting to be a very dark character. What will Moffatt do next? Have the Doctor turn the Weeping Angels into cannibals?
MDS
2012-09-16 18:30:43 UTC
Post by powrwrap
[...]
Part of understanding what's happening to the Doctor is believing that
there's a reason for it, that something is coming.
MDS (Mister Doctor Sir)
The Doctor
2012-09-16 21:39:14 UTC
5/10.
Mercy me, but Moffatt is making the Doctor into an unrecognizable character=
. Last week (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship) the Doctor enables the killing of So=
lomon by placing a tracking device in his ship and then jettisoning the shi=
p into the pathway of missiles. This week he is giggling while picking up g=
uns and threatening to shoot people.=20
[...]
REcall this has been happening as of the 6th Doctor.
--
Member - Liberal International This is ***@nl2k.ab.ca Ici ***@nl2k.ab.ca
http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k
USA petition to dissolve the Republic and vote to disoolve it in November 2012
The Great Firewall of China Blue
2012-09-19 00:16:29 UTC
Post by powrwrap
5/10.
Mercy me, but Moffatt is making the Doctor into an unrecognizable character.
Last week (Dinosaurs on a Spaceship) the Doctor enables the killing of
Solomon by placing a tracking device in his ship and then jettisoning the
ship into the pathway of missiles. This week he is giggling while picking up
guns and threatening to shoot people.
For a town named Mercy, there's very little mercy shown. It's sort of like a
town called Harmony. They show a lot of willful ignorance and big scaredy
running away, which aren't mercy. And not killing innocent people just because
the mood strikes you isn't mercy (Doctor 9 dismisses Margaret's claim of mercy
on Boom Town).

Within a few finite context, as the Doctor says, it's about absorbing injury and
perceived injustice to end a cycle of vengence, but nobody is doing that. When
the Doctor feels that doesn't work, he decides to try justice without mercy.
Post by powrwrap
Lots of plot holes in this one. The cyborg soldier cannot enter the town
because there is a pile of rocks, boards, and logs around the perimeter? He's
just going to hang around until Jex happens to show himself out in the open?
It seems he wanted to force the town to be complicit in his vengenance.
Post by powrwrap
What was the deal with the middle eastern music during the bar scene?
They couldn't find decent banjo and hamonica players?
Post by powrwrap
The whole bit with the Doctor talking to the horse was silly. Rory didn't do
a darn thing in this episode and Amy scarcely had a role. The high noon scene
was a cliche.
I do get tired of the political correctness that says everyone wants to be gay
but it's deeply offensive to be straight.
Post by powrwrap
I did like the setting for this episode. I liked the Marshall character. The
moral introspection by Jex over the burden of what he had done was well done.
Actually it sounds more like scape goating. In human law he committed no war
crime since his actions were on volunteers or 'volunteers' of his own side. That
means any justice would be in terms of the laws of his nation. If Jex violated
the laws of his nation, the cyborg could've returned him to face trial. If his
actions were legal, the cyborg was just doing a little murder to give himself a
happy. Why wasn't Jex's own government protecting him or prosecuting him? He
didn't claim to be fugitive, just running away because he wasn't being protected.
--
My name Indigo Montoya. \\ Annoying Usenet one post at a time.
You flamed my father. \' At least I can stay in character.
Stop posting that! `/ the void looks into you, and fulfills you.
Mike Hall
2012-09-19 12:07:14 UTC
Post by The Great Firewall of China Blue
If his
actions were legal, the cyborg was just doing a little murder to give himself a
happy. Why wasn't Jex's own government protecting him or prosecuting him? He
didn't claim to be fugitive, just running away because he wasn't being protected.
Jex felt guilty about his actions, which is why he was trying to do a
little bit of good in Mercy.
The plot does fall down when you begin to wonder why he was letting the
town starve, and I doubt Moffat is overly-worried about that. You can
write your own little fan fiction about how he had some grand plan of
re-engineering the gunslinger to fix the plot-hole if you want.

Mike Hall
Ross
2012-09-19 13:10:51 UTC
Post by Mike Hall
Post by The Great Firewall of China Blue
If his
actions were legal, the cyborg was just doing a little murder to give himself a
happy. Why wasn't Jex's own government protecting him or prosecuting him? He
didn't claim to be fugitive, just running away because he wasn't being protected.
Jex felt guilty about his actions, which is why he was trying to do a
little bit of good in Mercy.
The plot does fall down when you begin to wonder why he was letting the
town starve, and I doubt Moffat is overly-worried about that.  You can
write your own little fan fiction about how he had some grand plan of
re-engineering the gunslinger to fix the plot-hole if you want.
Mike Hall
I don't see how the plot falls down from that. He was trying to do
good to atone for the sins of his past, but he wasn't willing to
sacrifice his own life to save them. It's not until the very end of
the story that his guilt, his desire to atone for his sins, and his
desire to break the cycle of violence outweighs his fear of death.
The Great Firewall of China Blue
2012-09-19 15:45:47 UTC
Post by Ross
Post by Mike Hall
[...]
But it doesn't end the cycle of violence: the cyborg decides to kill himself
until the Doctor intervenes. But even then he doesn't learn about justice except
as an excuse for revenge: a marshall does not decide guilt. A marshall is
supposed to try to get possible criminals into a court to decide guilt. Because
of that law enforcement officers spend alot of time testifying in court, but the
cyborg remains hidden yet keeps the peace. That means he is bypassing the courts
and doing extrajudicial murders and batteries. See also Walking Tall.

Real justice would have been for both of them to return to their own society and
lay out their suits there. Mercy could then be shown in trying to resolve the
aftermath of their war.

Whole religions have been set up trying to deal with justice, morality, guilt,
and mercy.
The Doctor
2012-09-19 16:22:35 UTC
Post by Ross
Post by Mike Hall
[...]
Wel Jex deciding to end the cycle is worth something.
solar penguin
2012-09-20 13:31:30 UTC
Post by The Great Firewall of China Blue
Real justice would have been for both of them to return to their own society and
lay out their suits there. Mercy could then be shown in trying to resolve the
aftermath of their war.
But since Jex was considered a hero for creating the cyborgs that won
the war, his own society would probably be biased in his favour,
making it impossible to get a fair trial. (That's assuming his
society even has our concept of formal courtroom trials, rather than
purely trial by combat or something like that.)

And of course, DW has _never_ portrayed courtroom trials as being a
good and fair thing.

It's first ever trial, in Keys Of Marinus, resulted in an innocent man
being found guilty and only reprieved from execution at the last
minute. The Trial Of A Time Lord was just a show-trial as t
the result of corruption at high levels, and the Doctor only avoided
being found guilty because the trial collapsed into chaos at the end.
He'd escaped being sentenced in a similar way in The Stones Of Blood.

It's a bit much to expect DW to overturn nearly 50 years of tradition
and start portraying them as a good thing now. It would just plain go
against the worst aspects of the show's anarchic nature.
Ross
2012-09-20 15:03:28 UTC
Post by The Great Firewall of China Blue
Real justice would have been for both of them to return to their own society and
lay out their suits there. Mercy could then be shown in trying to resolve the
aftermath of their war.
But since Jex was considered a hero for creating the cyborgs that won
the war, his own society would probably be biased in his favour,
making it impossible to get a fair trial.  (That's assuming his
society even has our concept of formal courtroom trials, rather than
purely trial by combat or something like that.)
But the Cyborg is presumably a war hero as well, which counts the
other way.

The most likely thing is that the Powers That Be would never let it
get to trial as the mere fact of the trial would expose the horiffic
lengths they'd gone to to win the war.

If their hand was forced, though, I suspect they'd throw Jex under the
bus to save themselves: portray him as a dangerous extremist who'd
gone too far and besmirched the nobility of their hard-won victory.
solar penguin
2012-09-21 11:10:15 UTC
Post by Ross
Post by solar penguin
Post by The Great Firewall of China Blue
Real justice would have been for both of them to return to their own society and
lay out their suits there. Mercy could then be shown in trying to resolve the
aftermath of their war.
But since Jex was considered a hero for creating the cyborgs that won
the war, his own society would probably be biased in his favour,
making it impossible to get a fair trial.  (That's assuming his
society even has our concept of formal courtroom trials, rather than
purely trial by combat or something like that.)
But the Cyborg is presumably a war hero as well, which counts the
other way.
That depends on when this particular cyborg went rogue and started
disobeying orders. If it happened early enough, he might be
considered a deserter not a war hero.
The Great Firewall of China Blue
2012-09-20 19:28:04 UTC
Post by The Great Firewall of China Blue
Real justice would have been for both of them to return to their own society and
lay out their suits there. Mercy could then be shown in trying to resolve the
aftermath of their war.
But since Jex was considered a hero for creating the cyborgs that won
the war, his own society would probably be biased in his favour,
making it impossible to get a fair trial. (That's assuming his
Based on US law, that would be a fair trial. I don't know the English law, but
US laws say the jury is the conscience of the community; they are to interpret
any testimony as they choose, and arrive at their decision answerable to nobody
but themselves.

In a public justice system people are expected to set aside their personal
revenge, submit their complaints to a government appointed judge, and abide the
results whether they like it or agree to it.

I doubt they could cram all that in one episode, but by calling the town Mercy,
Moffat made a promise he didn't fulfill. It was actually a town called Vigilante.
Post by solar penguin
And of course, DW has _never_ portrayed courtroom trials as being a
good and fair thing.
I've also noticed the show doesn't have a high regard for democracy. Even when
England was a republic, it was military dictatorship instead of democracy.
Ireland and the US have kept democracy going to some degree.
Timothy Bruening
2019-01-23 04:21:49 UTC
[...]
But Boomtown: The Doctor, knowing that Margaret Blaine has been sentenced to death as the result of a TRIAL in absentia, plans to take her home to be executed.

But but Extremis: The Doctor refuses to execute Missy.
The Doctor
2019-01-23 16:24:17 UTC
Post by solar penguin
[...]
Are yu saying inconsistency?
Birthdate: 29 Jan 1969 Redhill, Surrey, England, UK
Timothy Bruening
Yes.
The Doctor
To know the road ahead, ask those coming back. -Chinese proverb
teak
2012-09-21 11:00:33 UTC
As far as willfull ignorance, tyhat was the West. I think the Doctor may have spent too much time alone, but I guess like a police office he was angry and stressed out when he wanted to Kill. He did that before with Davros (I think Colin Baker or Peter Davison)
Timothy Bruening
2019-04-17 16:30:35 UTC
And almost getting that alien doctor Jex killed!
The Doctor
PEI on 23 April 2019, do not vote PC nor NDP!
Timothy Bruening
2019-06-15 21:25:34 UTC
S07E03. S07E3. S7E03. S7E3.
5/10.
How would one statue eat another?
%
2019-06-15 21:28:51 UTC
S07E03. S07E3. S7E03. S7E3.
5/10.
divide it by 2
The Doctor
2019-06-15 21:55:58 UTC
Post by powrwrap
Post by Timothy Bruening
S07E03. S07E3. S7E03. S7E3.
5/10.
Post by Timothy Bruening
How would one statue eat another?
divide it by 2
That is their prey.
The habit of giving only enhances the desire to give. -Walt Whitman
The Doctor
2019-06-15 21:55:33 UTC
S07E03. S07E3. S7E03. S7E3.
Post by powrwrap
5/10.
This Doctor is getting to be a very dark character. What will Moffatt
do next? Have the Doctor turn the Weeping Angels into cannibals?
How would one statue eat another?
They won't.
The habit of giving only enhances the desire to give. -Walt Whitman