A Christmas Carol (review)
Agamemnon
2010-12-25 21:06:03 UTC
A spaceship is about the crash into an alien planet and the Doctor has to
save all the people on board, with just his sonic screwdriver. Like, he
can't just bundle them all into the TARDIS and transfer them onto the
planet's surface in the hour he has to do it, and even that isn't enough
time, it's not like he couldn't make a dozen or more trips back in time to
take in more people, and nobody is particularly bothered about collateral
damage on the planet's surface either.

The bridge and command crew of the ship were a deliberate parody of Star
Trek with an obvious Geordie La Forge joke at the beginning.

The kid who played young Kazran put in a very good performance. There wasn't
much of Amy or Rory in this episode and Matt Smith went over the top with
his Jack Sparrow routine at the start but soon calmed down and put in a good
performance. The performances by Michael Gambon and Katherine Jenkins were
also good.

The special effects and sets down on the planet were mostly ok but the
bridge of the spaceship didn't look very convincing, but at least it looked
more credible than the Titanic bridge in Voyage of the Damned. Obviously as
I said in earlier reviews Stephen Moffat is following exactly the same list
stroy outlines that RTD was following when he produced the series, a
spaceship is about the crash into an alien planet and the Doctor has to save
all the people on board, but Stephen Moffat does it much better.

After all the prancing around at the start it's actually a very good story.
Pity about the sad ending.

10/10
The Face of Po
2010-12-25 22:06:31 UTC
On 25 Dec 2010, Agamemnon brought the following to the attention of
rec.arts.drwho:
> Like, he
> can't just bundle them all into the TARDIS and transfer them onto the
> planet's surface in the hour he has to do it [...]

Correct. He couldn't land the TARDIS on it in the first place.

> spaceship is about the crash into an alien planet and the Doctor has to save
> all the people on board, but Stephen Moffat does it much better.

One of the important differences for me was that this one didn't need to
raise the stakes by endangering the entire planet. If the ship had
crashed, then the four thousand people on board, of whom we only see
two characters plus a handful of nameless crew members, would have met
their premature deaths - and that's enough of a reason for the audience
to keep watching.

Happiness will prevail
TB
2015-11-30 17:40:35 UTC

Why can't the Doctor just tow the spaceship to safety?
The Doctor
2015-11-30 22:32:16 UTC
On 2015-11-30, TB <***@dcn.davis.ca.us> wrote:
> On Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 2:06:31 PM UTC-8, The Face of Po wrote:
>> On 25 Dec 2010, Agamemnon brought the following to the attention of
>> rec.arts.drwho:
>> > Like, he
>> > can't just bundle them all into the TARDIS and transfer them onto the
>> > planet's surface in the hour he has to do it [...]
>>
>> Correct. He couldn't land the TARDIS on it in the first place.
>
> Why can't the Doctor just tow the spaceship to safety?

Too close to the gravitational field.

http://www.fullyfollow.me/rootnl2k Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on Atheism
Happy Christmas 2015 and Merry New Year 2016
Tim Bruening
2017-10-03 23:12:39 UTC

But the TARDIS once towed a spaceship out of a black hole!
The Doctor
2017-10-04 00:43:45 UTC
In article <0190c6f9-277f-4d14-beae-***@googlegroups.com>,
Tim Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, November 30, 2015 at 2:32:17 PM UTC-8, The Doctor wrote:

>> > Why can't the Doctor just tow the spaceship to safety?
>>
>> Too close to the gravitational field.
>
>But the TARDIS once towed a spaceship out of a black hole!

Depending on the turbulence
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Tim Bruening
2017-10-04 02:44:10 UTC
On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 5:43:46 PM UTC-7, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <0190c6f9-277f-4d14-beae-***@googlegroups.com>,
> Tim Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:

> >> Too close to the gravitational field.
> >
> >But the TARDIS once towed a spaceship out of a black hole!
>
> Depending on the turbulence

What's a little turbulence to a craft that can tow a spaceship out of a black hole, or tow Earth home from the Medusa Cascade?

The TARDIS was able to land on the planet, so it could handle the atmosphere to that extent.
The Doctor
2017-10-04 03:01:37 UTC
In article <459b0bfa-a52d-4f5a-860e-***@googlegroups.com>,
Tim Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, October 3, 2017 at 5:43:46 PM UTC-7, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <0190c6f9-277f-4d14-beae-***@googlegroups.com>,
>> Tim Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>> >But the TARDIS once towed a spaceship out of a black hole!
>>
>> Depending on the turbulence
>
>What's a little turbulence to a craft that can tow a spaceship out of a
>black hole, or tow Earth home from the Medusa Cascade?
>
>The TARDIS was able to land on the planet, so it could handle the
>atmosphere to that extent.

Are you certain?
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Tim Bruening
2017-10-04 07:09:23 UTC

I saw a lot of the TARDIS, both on the ground and even in the air (to repatriate the shark). The Doctor used it a lot to transport young Kazran and his GF about the universe! He seemed to have no trouble flying the TARDIS to and from Kazran's home planet! Therefore, it should have been able to give that starship a tow!
Timothy Bruening
2018-03-02 14:08:31 UTC

Why can't the TARDIS land on the ship?
The Doctor
2018-03-02 16:39:59 UTC
In article <de3decf9-9c76-4a54-88e2-***@googlegroups.com>,
Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 2:06:31 PM UTC-8, The Face of Po wrote:
>> On 25 Dec 2010, Agamemnon brought the following to the attention of
>> rec.arts.drwho:
>> > Like, he
>> > can't just bundle them all into the TARDIS and transfer them onto the
>> > planet's surface in the hour he has to do it [...]
>>
>> Correct. He couldn't land the TARDIS on it in the first place.
>
>Why can't the TARDIS land on the ship?

Coordinates in turbulent space.
No great man ever complains of want of opportunity. -Ralph Waldo Emerson
Daniel60
2018-03-03 10:16:14 UTC
On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <de3decf9-9c76-4a54-88e2-***@googlegroups.com>,
> Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Saturday, December 25, 2010 at 2:06:31 PM UTC-8, The Face of Po wrote:
>>> On 25 Dec 2010, Agamemnon brought the following to the attention of
>>> rec.arts.drwho:
>>>
>>> Correct. He couldn't land the TARDIS on it in the first place.
>>
>> Why can't the TARDIS land on the ship?
>
> Coordinates in turbulent space.

Garbage!!

2018-03-03 14:35:43 UTC
In article <p7dslb$2s7$***@dont-email.me>,
Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <de3decf9-9c76-4a54-88e2-***@googlegroups.com>,
>> Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> Why can't the TARDIS land on the ship?
>>
>> Coordinates in turbulent space.
>>
>Garbage!!
>
>--
>Daniel

How?
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
Daniel60
2018-03-04 08:38:24 UTC
On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <p7dslb$2s7$***@dont-email.me>,
> Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:

>>> Coordinates in turbulent space.
>>>
>> Garbage!!
>
> How?

Every time The TARDIS re-materialises, it re-materialises on an object
(planet, asteroid, whatever) which is moving in "turbulent" space!!

Time and Time and Time again!!

So your "Coordinates in turbulent space" response is garbage, idiot!!

2018-03-04 09:44:48 UTC

I have seen it floating in space!
The Doctor
2018-03-04 13:39:45 UTC
In article <9f9815ab-4c31-4877-8e21-***@googlegroups.com>,
Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 12:38:27 AM UTC-8, Daniel60 wrote:
>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:

>> > How?
>> >
>> Every time The TARDIS re-materialises, it re-materialises on an object
>> (planet, asteroid, whatever) which is moving in "turbulent" space!!
>>
>> Time and Time and Time again!!
>>
>> So your "Coordinates in turbulent space" response is garbage, idiot!!
>
>I have seen it floating in space!

Or even dead in space.
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
Daniel60
2018-03-04 12:12:15 UTC
On #2 #3, Timothy Bruening wrote:
> On Sunday, March 4, 2018 at 12:38:27 AM UTC-8, Daniel60 wrote:
>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:

>>> How?
>>>
>> Every time The TARDIS re-materialises, it re-materialises on an object
>> (planet, asteroid, whatever) which is moving in "turbulent" space!!
>>
>> Time and Time and Time again!!
>>
>> So your "Coordinates in turbulent space" response is garbage, idiot!!
>
> I have seen it floating in space!

Yes, Tim, when it is getting from one Time/Location to another
Time/Location, it does appear to float in Time/Space, and, indeed, in
the latest Christmas Episode, The (female) Doctor fell out of The TARDIS
whilst it "floated" in Space.

So what??

2018-03-05 17:38:52 UTC

I have seen the TARDIS floating still in normal space.
%
2018-03-05 18:17:42 UTC

i have been the tardis floating still in normal space
The Doctor
2018-03-05 22:25:15 UTC
In article <6dd352a5-24f6-4f1b-97b4-***@googlegroups.com>,
Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 9:15:15 AM UTC-8, Daniel60 wrote:

>> > I have seen it floating in space!
>> >
>> Yes, Tim, when it is getting from one Time/Location to another
>> Time/Location, it does appear to float in Time/Space, and, indeed, in
>> the latest Christmas Episode, The (female) Doctor fell out of The TARDIS
>> whilst it "floated" in Space.
>
>I have seen the TARDIS floating still in normal space.

Even dodged a missile.
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
Daniel60
2018-03-06 08:50:07 UTC
On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:

<Snip>

> Even dodged a missile.

Ahh! No!! Why do you ask, idiot??

2018-03-06 14:52:32 UTC
In article <p7lko8$e3v$***@dont-email.me>,
Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>
><Snip>
>
>> Even dodged a missile.
>>
>Ahh! No!! Why do you ask, idiot??
>
>--
>Daniel

Let me guess. You do not recall.
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
Daniel60
2018-03-07 06:23:50 UTC
On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <p7lko8$e3v$***@dont-email.me>,
> Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> Even dodged a missile.
>>>
>> Ahh! No!! Why do you ask, idiot??
>
> Let me guess. You do not recall.

Well, I know I forget many things but I'm sure I would have remembered
if I had ever had to dodge a missile!!

2018-03-07 07:22:31 UTC

LOL!
The Doctor
2018-03-07 15:19:06 UTC
In article <09ad2a56-dd84-4705-9849-***@googlegroups.com>,
Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 10:24:01 PM UTC-8, Daniel60 wrote:
>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:

>> > Let me guess. You do not recall.
>> >
>> Well, I know I forget many things but I'm sure I would have remembered
>> if I had ever had to dodge a missile!!
>
>LOL!

Argageddon Factor PArt 1
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
The Doctor
2018-03-08 13:43:53 UTC
In article <p7r01u$od4$***@dont-email.me>,
Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <09ad2a56-dd84-4705-9849-***@googlegroups.com>,
>> Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:

>>> LOL!
>>
>> Argageddon Factor PArt 1
>>
>What??
>
>--
>Daniel

Armageddon Factor Part 1
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
Daniel60
2018-03-09 12:48:32 UTC
The Doctor wrote on 09/03/18 00:43:
> In article <p7r01u$od4$***@dont-email.me>,
> Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:

>>> Argageddon Factor PArt 1
>>>
>> What??
>
> Armageddon Factor Part 1

Ah!!

2018-05-17 02:01:56 UTC

When I saw this story for 1st time, I expected to see mushroom clouds to sprout everywhere!
The Doctor
2018-05-17 13:03:41 UTC
In article <7ad2099f-c632-437e-a45e-***@googlegroups.com>,
Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Thursday, March 8, 2018 at 5:43:54 AM UTC-8, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <p7r01u$od4$***@dont-email.me>,
>> Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:

>> >What??
>> >
>> >--
>> >Daniel
>>
>> Armageddon Factor Part 1
>
>When I saw this story for 1st time, I expected to see mushroom clouds to
>sprout everywhere!

Everyone is underground.
He will live ill who does not know how to die well. -Seneca
The Doctor
2018-03-07 15:05:55 UTC
In article <p7o0hv$t6s$***@dont-email.me>,
Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <p7lko8$e3v$***@dont-email.me>,
>> Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> Ahh! No!! Why do you ask, idiot??
>>
>> Let me guess. You do not recall.
>>
>Well, I know I forget many things but I'm sure I would have remembered
>if I had ever had to dodge a missile!!
>
>--
>Daniel

Argageddon Factor Part 1
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
Timothy Bruening
2018-03-07 07:31:52 UTC

When did that happen?
The Doctor
2018-03-07 15:19:26 UTC
In article <10dfa6b2-e39d-4a0c-8947-***@googlegroups.com>,
Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 2:25:17 PM UTC-8, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <6dd352a5-24f6-4f1b-97b4-***@googlegroups.com>,
>> Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>them onto the

>> >I have seen the TARDIS floating still in normal space.
>>
>> Even dodged a missile.
>
>When did that happen?

Armageddon Factor PArt 1
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
Daniel60
2018-03-06 08:48:45 UTC
On #2 #3, Timothy Bruening wrote:
> On Monday, March 5, 2018 at 9:15:15 AM UTC-8, Daniel60 wrote:

>>> I have seen it floating in space!
>>>
>> Yes, Tim, when it is getting from one Time/Location to another
>> Time/Location, it does appear to float in Time/Space, and, indeed, in
>> the latest Christmas Episode, The (female) Doctor fell out of The TARDIS
>> whilst it "floated" in Space.
>
> I have seen the TARDIS floating still in normal space.

Yeap, it just occurred to me that we saw The TARDIS floating in "Normal"
space when it was chasing Donna in the Taxi.

And, a the same time, the Earth was rotating on its axis .... and
revolving around the Sun, which is also revolving around the Galactic
Centre, so The TARDIS' flight path "in turbulent space" would have been
very complex.

2018-03-04 13:34:44 UTC
In article <p7gba1$pah$***@dont-email.me>,
Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <p7dslb$2s7$***@dont-email.me>,
>> Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:

>>> Garbage!!
>>
>> How?
>>
>Every time The TARDIS re-materialises, it re-materialises on an object
>(planet, asteroid, whatever) which is moving in "turbulent" space!!
>
>Time and Time and Time again!!
>
>So your "Coordinates in turbulent space" response is garbage, idiot!!
>
>--
>Daniel

So you like the recent season of DW then.
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
Daniel60
2018-03-06 08:51:30 UTC
On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:

<Snip>

> So you like the recent season of DW then.

WHAT??

2018-03-06 14:53:21 UTC
In article <p7lkqr$e3v$***@dont-email.me>,
Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>
><Snip>
>
>> So you like the recent season of DW then.
>>
>WHAT??
>
>--
>Daniel

If you did not SNIP the above
you would get the idea.
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
Daniel60
2018-03-07 06:28:36 UTC
On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <p7lkqr$e3v$***@dont-email.me>, Daniel60
> <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>>> So you like the recent season of DW then.
>>>
>> WHAT??
>>
>> -- Daniel
>
> If you did not SNIP the above you would get the idea.

Or I could have gone back and .....

In article <p7gba1$pah$***@dont-email.me>,
Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <p7dslb$2s7$***@dont-email.me>, Daniel60
>> <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:

>>> Garbage!!
>>
>> How?
>>
> Every time The TARDIS re-materialises, it re-materialises on an
> object (planet, asteroid, whatever) which is moving in "turbulent"
> space!!
>
> Time and Time and Time again!!
>
> So your "Coordinates in turbulent space" response is garbage,
> idiot!!
>
> -- Daniel

So you like the recent season of DW then.
--
Member - Liberal International This is doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca Ici
doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca

*Guess that just goes to show I'm better than you, idiot* !!

2018-03-07 15:05:30 UTC
In article <p7o0r0$blg$***@dont-email.me>,
Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>> In article <p7lkqr$e3v$***@dont-email.me>, Daniel60
>> <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>>>
>>> <Snip>

>>> WHAT??
>>>
>>> -- Daniel
>>
>> If you did not SNIP the above you would get the idea.
>>
>Or I could have gone back and .....
>
>In article <p7gba1$pah$***@dont-email.me>,
>Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:

>>> How?
>>>
>> Every time The TARDIS re-materialises, it re-materialises on an
>> object (planet, asteroid, whatever) which is moving in "turbulent"
>> space!!
>>
>> Time and Time and Time again!!
>>
>> So your "Coordinates in turbulent space" response is garbage,
>> idiot!!
>>
>> -- Daniel
>
>So you like the recent season of DW then.
>--
>Member - Liberal International This is doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca Ici
>doctor@@nl2k.ab.ca
>Yahweh, Queen & country!Never Satan President Republic!Beware AntiChrist
>rising!
>https://www.empire.kred/ROOTNK?t=94a1f39b Look at Psalms 14 and 53 on
>Atheism
>To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
>

>*Guess that just goes to show I'm better than you, idiot* !!
>
>--
>Daniel

You just honestly corrected yourself.
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
Daniel60
2018-03-08 09:35:37 UTC
On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
> In article <p7o0r0$blg$***@dont-email.me>,
> Daniel60 <***@eternal-september.org> wrote:
>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:

>>> If you did not SNIP the above you would get the idea.
>>>
>> Or I could have gone back and .....

<Snip>

2018-03-07 07:32:59 UTC

I liked it too.
roach
2018-03-07 07:36:49 UTC
On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 11:33:00 PM UTC-8, Timothy Bruening wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 12:51:41 AM UTC-8, Daniel60 wrote:
> > On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
> >
> > <Snip>
> >
> > > So you like the recent season of DW then.
> > >
> > WHAT??
>
> I liked it too.

i missed curb.

i need to get myself caught up somehow. have to check the what do you call it, the menu or whatever on demand, oh yeah...maybe it's still there.

heard it's coming around again, too ? ?????
Timothy Bruening
2018-03-07 07:48:10 UTC

Curb coming back?
The Doctor
2018-03-07 15:35:27 UTC
In article <93c9cee2-1b54-4ff2-949f-***@googlegroups.com>,
Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 11:36:50 PM UTC-8, roach wrote:

>> > I liked it too.
>>
>> i missed curb.
>>
>> i need to get myself caught up somehow. have to check the what do you
>call it, the menu or whatever on demand, oh yeah...maybe it's still
>there.
>>
>> heard it's coming around again, too ? ?????
>
>Curb coming back?

Could be.
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
The Doctor
2018-03-07 15:20:06 UTC
In article <8cf319ba-de48-4646-a160-***@googlegroups.com>,
Timothy Bruening <***@gmail.com> wrote:
>On Tuesday, March 6, 2018 at 12:51:41 AM UTC-8, Daniel60 wrote:
>> On #2 #3, The Doctor wrote:
>>
>> <Snip>
>>
>> > So you like the recent season of DW then.
>> >
>> WHAT??
>
>I liked it too.

The Pilot was bad.

Twice Upon A Time is a real low! Even Twin Dilemma makes
better viewing material.
To make pleasures pleasant, shorten them. -Charles Buxton
FishFood
2010-12-26 19:25:00 UTC
Agamemnon wrote:
> A spaceship is about the crash into an alien planet and the Doctor has to
> save all the people on board, with just his sonic screwdriver. Like, he
> can't just bundle them all into the TARDIS and transfer them onto the
> planet's surface in the hour he has to do it, and even that isn't enough
> time, it's not like he couldn't make a dozen or more trips back in time to
> take in more people, and nobody is particularly bothered about collateral
> damage on the planet's surface either.
>
> The bridge and command crew of the ship were a deliberate parody of Star
> Trek with an obvious Geordie La Forge joke at the beginning.
>
> The kid who played young Kazran put in a very good performance. There
> wasn't much of Amy or Rory in this episode and Matt Smith went over the
> top with his Jack Sparrow routine at the start but soon calmed down and
> put in a good performance. The performances by Michael Gambon and Katherine
> Jenkins were also good.
>
> The special effects and sets down on the planet were mostly ok but the
> bridge of the spaceship didn't look very convincing, but at least it looked
> more credible than the Titanic bridge in Voyage of the Damned. Obviously as
> I said in earlier reviews Stephen Moffat is following exactly the same list
> stroy outlines that RTD was following when he produced the series, a
> spaceship is about the crash into an alien planet and the Doctor has to
> save
> all the people on board, but Stephen Moffat does it much better.
>
> After all the prancing around at the start it's actually a very good story.
> Pity about the sad ending.
>
> 10/10

I recorded this, but deliberately kept from watching it until now.

I have to say it was very well done, from the opening line to the
closing statement, very well done.

Doctor who channeling Charles Dickens, and why not.

What really made this story was its layered use of time. A story
where the central premise of time travel, is right there at the fore.

A side from the opening DW theme music, which seems to have
forgotten its role to transport us to this make believe world, the
music throughout this story was well done, not as brassy or OTT as
previous efforts.

10/10
The Doctor
2010-12-26 21:33:46 UTC
In article <DEMRo.8354$***@newsfe12.iad>, FishFood <***@home.com> wrote:
>Agamemnon wrote:
>> A spaceship is about the crash into an alien planet and the Doctor has to
>> save all the people on board, with just his sonic screwdriver. Like, he
>> can't just bundle them all into the TARDIS and transfer them onto the
>> planet's surface in the hour he has to do it, and even that isn't enough
>> time, it's not like he couldn't make a dozen or more trips back in time to
>> take in more people, and nobody is particularly bothered about collateral
>> damage on the planet's surface either.
>>
>> The bridge and command crew of the ship were a deliberate parody of Star
>> Trek with an obvious Geordie La Forge joke at the beginning.
>>
>> The kid who played young Kazran put in a very good performance. There
>> wasn't much of Amy or Rory in this episode and Matt Smith went over the
>> top with his Jack Sparrow routine at the start but soon calmed down and
>> put in a good performance. The performances by Michael Gambon and Katherine
>> Jenkins were also good.
>>
>> The special effects and sets down on the planet were mostly ok but the
>> bridge of the spaceship didn't look very convincing, but at least it looked
>> more credible than the Titanic bridge in Voyage of the Damned. Obviously as
>> I said in earlier reviews Stephen Moffat is following exactly the same list
>> stroy outlines that RTD was following when he produced the series, a
>> spaceship is about the crash into an alien planet and the Doctor has to
>> save
>> all the people on board, but Stephen Moffat does it much better.
>>
>> After all the prancing around at the start it's actually a very good story.
>> Pity about the sad ending.
>>
>> 10/10
>
>I recorded this, but deliberately kept from watching it until now.
>
>I have to say it was very well done, from the opening line to the
>closing statement, very well done.
>
>Doctor who channeling Charles Dickens, and why not.
>
>What really made this story was its layered use of time. A story
>where the central premise of time travel, is right there at the fore.
>
>A side from the opening DW theme music, which seems to have
>forgotten its role to transport us to this make believe world, the
>music throughout this story was well done, not as brassy or OTT as
>previous efforts.
>
>10/10

You guys ROCK!!
--
Member - Liberal International This is ***@nl2k.ab.ca Ici ***@nl2k.ab.ca
God, Queen and country! Never Satan President Republic! Beware AntiChrist rising!