Doctor Who’s Thirteenth Doctor is... Jodie Whittaker!
Ubiquitous
2017-07-16 14:28:02 UTC
Today is as big as it gets in the Whoniverse as fans waited patiently
for the Wimbledon Mens’ Final (congrats, Roger Federer!) to end to find
out who would succeed Peter Capaldi in the role of the Doctor.

And with that… the BBC and BBC AMERICA announced to the world that
Jodie Whittaker will be the new Doctor Who! She will be the Thirteenth
Time Lord and take over from Peter Capaldi who leaves the global hit
show at Christmas.

Jodie Whittaker graduated from the Guildhall School of Music and Drama
in 2005 with a gold medal in Acting. Her TV credits include the
critically acclaimed BBC AMERICA and ITV drama Broadchurch, Emmy
award-winning Black Mirror, Sky 1’s The Smoke, BBC’s Cranford, in which
she starred opposite Judi Dench and Imelda Staunton, The Night Watch
(BBC), The Accused (BBC), and Tess of the D’Urbervilles (BBC).

Jodie says, “I’m beyond excited to begin this epic journey – with Chris
and with every Whovian on this planet. It’s more than an honor to play
the Doctor. It means remembering everyone I used to be, while stepping
forward to embrace everything the Doctor stands for: hope. I can’t
wait.”

New head writer and executive producer Chris Chibnall who takes over
from Steven Moffat on the next series made the decision to cast the
first ever woman in the iconic role.

Chris Chibnall adds, “After months of lists, conversations, auditions,
recalls, and a lot of secret-keeping, we’re excited to welcome Jodie
Whittaker as the Thirteenth Doctor. I always knew I wanted the
Thirteenth Doctor to be a woman and we’re thrilled to have secured our
number one choice. Her audition for The Doctor simply blew us all away.
Jodie is an in-demand, funny, inspiring, super-smart force of nature
and will bring loads of wit, strength and warmth to the role. The
Thirteenth Doctor is on her way.”

Peter Capaldi says: “Anyone who has seen Jodie Whittaker’s work will
know that she is a wonderful actress of great individuality and charm.
She has above all the huge heart to play this most special part. She’s
going to be a fantastic Doctor.”

Well, we have a lot of questions for Jodie, and luckily she anticipated
that. Here are 13 questions answered with our new Doctor!

1) What does it feel like to be the Thirteenth Doctor?
It’s very nerve-racking, as it’s been so secret!

2) Why did you want the role?
To be asked to play the ultimate character, to get to play pretend in
the truest form: this is why I wanted to be an actor in the first
place. To be able to play someone who is literally reinvented on
screen, with all the freedoms that brings: what an unbelievable
opportunity. And added to that, to be the first woman in that role.

3) Has it been hard to keep the secret?
Yes. Very hard! I’ve told a lot of lies! I’ve embroiled myself in a
whole world of lies which is going to come back at me when this is
announced!

4) Who was the first person you told when you got the role?
My husband. Because I was allowed to!

5) Did you have a codename and if so what was it?
In my home, and with my agent, it was The Clooney. Because to me and
my husband, George is an iconic guy. And we thought: what’s a really
famous iconic name? It was just fitting.

6) What does it feel like to be the first woman Doctor?
It feels completely overwhelming, as a feminist, as a woman, as an
actor, as a human, as someone who wants to continually push themselves
and challenge themselves, and not be boxed in by what you’re told you
can and can’t be. It feels incredible.

7) What do you want to tell the fans?
I want to tell the fans not to be scared by my gender. Because this is
a really exciting time, and Doctor Who represents everything that’s
exciting about change. The fans have lived through so many changes, and
this is only a new, different one, not a fearful one.

8) What are you most excited about?
I’m most excited about becoming part of a family I didn’t even know
existed. I was born in 1982, it’s been around longer than me, and it’s
a family I couldn’t ever have dreamed I’d be part of.

9) How did Chris sell you the part?
We had a strange chat earlier this year where he tricked me into
thinking we were talking about Broadchurch. And I started to quiz him
about his new job in Wales, and asked him if I could be a baddie! And
he quickly diverted the conversation to suggest I should consider
auditioning to be the 13th Clooney.

It was the most incredible chat because I asked every question under
the sun, and I said I’d take a few weeks to decide whether I was going
to audition. He got a phone call within 24 hours. He would’ve got a
phone call sooner, but my husband was away and there was a time
difference!

10) Did he persuade you?
No. There was no persuasion needed. If you need to be persuaded to do
this part, you’re not right for this part, and the part isn’t right for
you. I also think, for anyone taking this on, you have to want to fight
for it, which I certainly had to do. I know there will have been some
phenomenal actors who threw their hats in the ring.

11) What are you going to wear?
Don’t know yet.

12) Is that your costume in the filmed sequence which introduced you as
the new Doctor?
No.

13) Have any of the other Doctors given you advice?
Well they can’t because they haven’t known until now, but I’m
certainly expecting a couple of calls – I’ve got a couple of mates in
there. I’m mates with a companion [Arthur Darvill], I’m mates with a
trio of Doctors. I know Matt Smith, Chris Eccleston and obviously David
Tennant. Oh! And let’s throw in David Bradley! Four Doctors! So I’m
hoping I get some calls of advice.

Welcome to the family, Jodie!

#Pandering
2017-07-17 02:17:16 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
14: Will Peter regenerate inside a moving TARDIS?

15: Why does the TARDIS spin as it travels through space an time?
The Doctor
2017-07-17 02:27:14 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
She should be the next Romana president of Gallifrey
and not The Doctor!
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Last Doctor
2017-07-17 07:01:25 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Juliet Landau already has that role nailed. Could be fun to see her play
that against Jodie's Doctor though - that would mean a return to a sane
Gallifrey though, not the desperate and sinister Gallifrey of recent years.
A plot line where Rassilon attempts to destroy or subvert the Timelords in
return for being exiled by the Doctor, maybe? hmmm ...
The Doctor
2017-07-17 14:50:53 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by The Doctor
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Then everything could be retroed.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Last Doctor
2017-07-17 15:55:37 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Doctor
She should be the next Romana president of Gallifrey
and not The Doctor!
Juliet Landau already has that role nailed. Could be fun to see her play
that against Jodie's Doctor though - that would mean a return to a sane
Gallifrey though, not the desperate and sinister Gallifrey of recent years.
A plot line where Rassilon attempts to destroy or subvert the Timelords in
return for being exiled by the Doctor, maybe? hmmm ...
Then everything could be retroed.
Coming soon ...

MASTERS OF TIME

A Time War is a very simple conflict, in principle. One surgical first
strike, near the dawn of time, is all that is ever needed.

The first combatant to cause the other side never to have existed wins.

Now the Other Doctor, a human cloned from a Timelord's hand, must cross
Universes in his newly-grown TARDIS to save all the races of our universe
from the tyranny of the sinister Masters of Time, before paradox catches up
with him and erases him, too, from all of Time and Space.
The Doctor
2017-07-17 18:43:56 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Doctor
[...]
Siobhan Morgan use to say what an entangled web we have created.

She was correct.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Pudentame
2017-07-17 17:41:46 UTC
On Mon, 17 Jul 2017 08:01:25 +0100, The Last Doctor
Post by Ubiquitous
6) What does it feel like to be the first woman Doctor?
It feels completely overwhelming, as a feminist, as a woman, as an
actor, as a human, as someone who wants to continually push themselves
and challenge themselves, and not be boxed in by what you’re told you
can and can’t be. It feels incredible.
Except she's NOT the FIRST "woman" Doctor. She's not even the first
"Thirteenth" Doctor who's a woman.

They didn't ask the one question I want to know the answer to:

When does the first episode of Series 11 air?
The Doctor
2017-07-17 18:53:57 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
6) What does it feel like to be the first woman Doctor?
It feels completely overwhelming, as a feminist, as a woman, as an
actor, as a human, as someone who wants to continually push themselves
and challenge themselves, and not be boxed in by what you’re told you
can and can’t be. It feels incredible.
Except she's NOT the FIRST "woman" Doctor. She's not even the first
"Thirteenth" Doctor who's a woman.
When does the first episode of Series 11 air?
hopefully a very long delay until this fiasco is sorted out.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Tim Bruening
Make her President of Earth!
The Doctor
2017-07-17 14:57:51 UTC
Post by Ubiquitous
Post by The Doctor
Post by Ubiquitous
[...]
Head of UNIT, might work.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Tim Bruening
2017-07-17 03:02:11 UTC
Spoilers for last two Season 10 episodes:

1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Plot idea: Jodie turns out to NOT be the Doctor, but a regenerated Missy POSING as the Doctor!
The Doctor
2017-07-17 03:13:38 UTC
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
Plot idea: Jodie turns out to NOT be the Doctor, but a regenerated Missy
POSING as the Doctor!
Whittaker as Romana please.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Your Name
2017-07-17 06:50:46 UTC
Plot idea: Jodie turns out to NOT be the Doctor, but a regenerated
Missy POSING as the Doctor!
A female Master is just as ridiculous silly as a female Doctor.

If these Politically Correct morons want a female Timelord, then make a
new character and give her a new spin-off show. This current idiotic
fad for swapping character genders is simply ridiculous.
Tim Bruening
2017-07-17 11:04:07 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Tim Bruening
Plot idea: Jodie turns out to NOT be the Doctor, but a regenerated
Missy POSING as the Doctor!
A female Master is just as ridiculous silly as a female Doctor.
If these Politically Correct morons want a female Timelord, then make a
new character and give her a new spin-off show.
Called "Nurse Who"?

This current idiotic
But logically possible for a race that can regenerate their bodies!
Tim Bruening
2017-07-17 11:20:33 UTC
UNIT and Torchwood will be confused!
Tim Bruening
2017-07-17 14:12:48 UTC
Plot: The Doctor has trouble introducing herself to UNIT, Torchwood, Davros, etc.
Tim Bruening
2017-07-17 14:13:14 UTC
Plot: The Doctor has trouble introducing herself to UNIT, Torchwood, Davros, etc.
The Master/Missy...
The Doctor
2017-07-17 15:08:34 UTC
Plot: The Doctor has trouble introducing herself to UNIT, Torchwood,
Davros, etc.
The Master/Missy...
Dead issue.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Doctor
2017-07-17 15:08:23 UTC
Plot: The Doctor has trouble introducing herself to UNIT, Torchwood, Davros, etc.
You got a good one.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Doctor
2017-07-17 15:02:45 UTC
UNIT and Torchwood will be confused!
You are spot on there.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Daniel60
2017-07-21 10:06:21 UTC
UNIT and Torchwood will be confused!
You are spot on there.
Why?? UNIT had little trouble (!!) adjusting to the various male
re-incarnations of The Doctor, so why should there be much problem
adjusting to a Female Doctor??

I doubt that UNIT or Torchwood will ever have imagined that the Doctor could POSSIBLY EVER become a lady! Therefore, the Lady Doctor will make the jaws of UNIT and Torchwood fall to the floor!
solar penguin
2017-07-21 13:02:35 UTC
UNIT had no problem accepting a female Master.
The Doctor
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Tim Bruening
When Missy started threatening Osgood, why didn't she order Missy searched for weapons?
The Doctor
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Doctor
2017-07-21 15:09:30 UTC
UNIT and Torchwood will be confused!
You are spot on there.
Why?? UNIT had little trouble (!!) adjusting to the various male
re-incarnations of The Doctor, so why should there be much problem
adjusting to a Female Doctor??
Daniel
Identity issues.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Doctor
2017-07-17 15:01:42 UTC
Post by Your Name
fad for swapping character genders is simply ridiculous.
But logically possible for a race that can regenerate their bodies!
Ms or MRs Who maybe.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Your Name
2017-07-18 02:11:42 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Tim Bruening
Plot idea: Jodie turns out to NOT be the Doctor, but a regenerated
Missy POSING as the Doctor!
A female Master is just as ridiculous silly as a female Doctor.
If these Politically Correct morons want a female Timelord, then make a
new character and give her a new spin-off show.
Called "Nurse Who"?
Or Doctor When ... or even better, Doctor Why (as in why the hell are
we doing this silly thing).

They already have options for female characters they could eailsy
spin-off: River Song, the Doctor's clone-daughter, Clara and Ashildr,
etc.
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Your Name
This current idiotic fad for swapping character genders is simply
ridiculous.
But logically possible for a race that can regenerate their bodies!
Yeah, right. That's why it's only happening now, and not with
regeneration three or five, or ...

Nope, it's simply a case of pandering to "Politically Correct" morons
and box-ticking quota-filling by the BBC.
The Doctor
2017-07-18 02:12:15 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Your Name
This current idiotic fad for swapping character genders is simply
ridiculous.
But logically possible for a race that can regenerate their bodies!
Yeah, right. That's why it's only happening now, and not with
regeneration three or five, or ...
Nope, it's simply a case of pandering to "Politically Correct" morons
and box-ticking quota-filling by the BBC.
You mean pandering to idiots.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Last Doctor
2017-07-18 06:51:03 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Your Name
This current idiotic fad for swapping character genders is simply
ridiculous.
But logically possible for a race that can regenerate their bodies!
Yeah, right. That's why it's only happening now, and not with
regeneration three or five, or ...
Nope, it's simply a case of pandering to "Politically Correct" morons
and box-ticking quota-filling by the BBC.
You mean pandering to idiots.
No, I don't think you, Aggy or Your Name are being pandered to by this
choice.
The Doctor
2017-07-18 15:07:49 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by Your Name
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Your Name
This current idiotic fad for swapping character genders is simply
ridiculous.
But logically possible for a race that can regenerate their bodies!
Yeah, right. That's why it's only happening now, and not with
regeneration three or five, or ...
Nope, it's simply a case of pandering to "Politically Correct" morons
and box-ticking quota-filling by the BBC.
You mean pandering to idiots.
No, I don't think you, Aggy or Your Name are being pandered to by this
choice.
The only defence I have for Whittaker is for her to sue Murdoch's papers.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Doctor
2017-07-17 14:48:02 UTC
Post by Your Name
Post by Tim Bruening
Plot idea: Jodie turns out to NOT be the Doctor, but a regenerated
Missy POSING as the Doctor!
A female Master is just as ridiculous silly as a female Doctor.
If these Politically Correct morons want a female Timelord, then make a
new character and give her a new spin-off show. This current idiotic
fad for swapping character genders is simply ridiculous.
I am forced to agree with Your NAme; UGH!
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides