Doctor Who: The Eaters of Light
Add Reply
The Last Doctor
2017-06-18 16:16:15 UTC
Better head underground for safety....
.
There isn't a great deal to say about this episode. Plot: in the second
century AD, in what will one day be Aberdeenshire, a small Pictish tribe
has somehow charged itself with keeping closed a dimensional rift, on the
far side of which live strange alien monsters that kill with darkness and
absorb light.

Until one day the young witch guardian lets out a monster to defeat an
invading Roman legion. Enter the Doctor, Bill and Nardole who convince the
few surviving Romans and Picts to work together to pen up the escaped
monster and keep the rift closed.

There's a time differential in the rift. By my rough calculations, every
year the humans can survive in the rift will keep it closed for 15,000
years. So we're not safe forever- but it's a good stopgap. As a young girl
is still hearing the music 1,900 years later, they've survived for ooh, six
weeks so far.

The story was a serious one but told in a very comfortable, comedic style.
In fact, to me it felt almost like an updated mid-period Tom Baker story.
Matt Lucas's Nardole felt like an integral part of the storyline for the
first time.

It was fun, flowed well, and I enjoyed it. The modern take on Rome's
legendary sexual freedoms was a bit anachronistic, as was the level of
respect the soldiers gave Bill, but on the whole it wasn't far off, and
maybe the kids will at least learn that puritan attitudes are a lot more
recent in origin than the puritans would like you to believe.

8/10. Solid stuff.
The Doctor
2017-06-18 18:35:14 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
[...]
Well the wrath of Agamemnon might fall on you.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Tim Bruening
2017-06-18 18:36:26 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
[...]
But what have they been EATING for the past 6 weeks?????? It seems doubtful that Earthlike crops would be growing in the rift, and the soldiers would be too busy fighting to gather any food!
I have read of Roman Emperors marrying MEN!
The Doctor
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Last Doctor
2017-06-18 20:42:23 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
The story was a serious one but told in a very comfortable, comedic style.
In fact, to me it felt almost like an updated mid-period Tom Baker story.
Matt Lucas's Nardole felt like an integral part of the storyline for the
first time.
It was fun, flowed well, and I enjoyed it. The modern take on Rome's
legendary sexual freedoms was a bit anachronistic, as was the level of
respect the soldiers gave Bill, but on the whole it wasn't far off, and
maybe the kids will at least learn that puritan attitudes are a lot more
recent in origin than the puritans would like you to believe.
8/10. Solid stuff.
I have read of Roman Emperors marrying MEN!
Yes. The Romans were even more sexually liberal than the Greeks, though
moreso for men than women (Greeks were more openly tolerant of what we'd
now call lesbianism - I'm not aware of any Roman poet of the stature of
Sappho).

But the casual take on it was very 21st Century.
Tim Bruening
At least one guy did not go into the rift. Might he have arranged to send in CARE packages every so often? But the portal/rift got buried in the earthquake caused by shoving the mass of an army into the rift.
The Last Doctor
2017-06-19 16:52:12 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
[...]
Perhaps they're eating the monsters they kill. We know nothing about the
conditions prevailing on the other side.
Tim Bruening
The monster didn't look appetizing to me!
The Doctor
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Doctor
2017-06-19 20:50:07 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
[...]
Will a hill grew over it.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Andrew M
2017-06-19 22:41:31 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
The story was a serious one but told in a very comfortable, comedic style.
In fact, to me it felt almost like an updated mid-period Tom Baker story.
Matt Lucas's Nardole felt like an integral part of the storyline for the
first time.
It was fun, flowed well, and I enjoyed it. The modern take on Rome's
legendary sexual freedoms was a bit anachronistic, as was the level of
respect the soldiers gave Bill, but on the whole it wasn't far off, and
maybe the kids will at least learn that puritan attitudes are a lot more
recent in origin than the puritans would like you to believe.
8/10. Solid stuff.
I have read of Roman Emperors marrying MEN!
No. You haven't. Marriage in Roman times was between men and women.
Some Roman Emperors did, however, have male partners alongside their
offical marriages. Perhaps the best example is Hadrian who, though
married to Vibia Sabina, had a male lover called Antinous
The Other Doctor
2017-06-18 20:14:04 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
[...]
Reasonably solid. But I think that was part of the problem. It was a
distinctly average story - Doctor Who by numbers. It managed to do
nothing original, plodded along and was predictable from start to
finish. And I'm still more distracted by Bill's eyebrows than anything else!
The Last Doctor
2017-06-18 21:15:08 UTC
Post by The Other Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
[...]
I knew it was from the writer of the dire "Survival" so my expectations
were pretty low. And after seasons 8 and 9 an average story is at the high
end of Capaldi's stories.

I was perhaps on a generous mood this morning, but on reflection I still
liked it a touch more than last week's effort, even though I'm fairly fond
of the Ice Warriors.
Post by The Other Doctor
And I'm still more distracted by Bill's eyebrows than anything else!
She has a wonderfully motile face. Chaplinesque. It's quite fascinating -
she's not, perhaps, conventionally beautiful but when she smiles her face
lights up charmingly.
Tim Bruening
2017-06-18 22:46:43 UTC
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1
1

Why did it take so long for Bill to notice the TARDIS' translation abilities?
The Doctor
2017-06-18 23:22:38 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Other Doctor
And I'm still more distracted by Bill's eyebrows than anything else!
She has a wonderfully motile face. Chaplinesque. It's quite fascinating -
she's not, perhaps, conventionally beautiful but when she smiles her face
lights up charmingly.
Survival was not dire.

Did you belong to the Anti-McCoy nutball squad of
flamers in the 1990s that use to flame r.a.dw to no end?
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Last Doctor
2017-06-19 05:20:44 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Other Doctor
And I'm still more distracted by Bill's eyebrows than anything else!
She has a wonderfully motile face. Chaplinesque. It's quite fascinating -
she's not, perhaps, conventionally beautiful but when she smiles her face
lights up charmingly.
Survival was not dire.
Did you belong to the Anti-McCoy nutball squad of
flamers in the 1990s that use to flame r.a.dw to no end?
I didn't start reading radw until 1998, so no. McCoy was, and remains,
the weakest actor ever to play the Doctor and none of his stories on TV
were great. Season 24 was in particular an irremedible pile of shit but
the incoherence of the plots, shoddy direction, appalling music and
constant "stunt" casting did the remainder no favours, even when the
story had a germ of interest in it.

Here's "Survival" in a nutshell: by a stunning coincidence Ace's
childhood friends have been transported by magic from Perivale to the
"planet of the Cheetah people", JUST as she returns home for a visit,
where they magically begin to acquire feline characteristics and live by
tooth and claw. By another magical coincidence an enfeebled Master is
also there, has also acquired feline characteristics, and stands around
feeling camp and sorry for himself. When Ace goes all catty-eyed the
Doctor saves himself and her by letting her Oz powers of "There's no
place like home" win the day. She gets better. They walk off into the
sunset. The End.

Not the worst McCoy story, in fact this is one of the best. Which only
goes to show that that particular bar is set so low a snake would have
trouble limboing under it.
--
Bashir: What I want to know is, out of all the stories you told me which
ones were true and which ones weren't?
Garak: Especially the lies.
The Doctor
2017-06-19 13:18:03 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Other Doctor
[...]
If we fight like animals we die like animals.

BTW McCoy was not a weak actor.

He hadto deal with a mess surrounding him.
Similar to what Peter Capaldi described.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Last Doctor
2017-06-19 14:07:53 UTC
["Survival"]
Not the worst McCoy story, in fact this is one of the best. Which only
goes to show that that particular bar is set so low a snake would have
trouble limboing under it.
If we fight like animals we die like animals.
BTW McCoy was not a weak actor.
Yes, he was. He still is. And back then, he wasn't even an actor at all. He
was a vaudeville act specialising in playing the spoons and in having his
genitals pierced onstage by a fork roped onto the front of a runaway model
train. And those were the classy bits of his act.

His Doctor has improved immensely on audio over the last eighteen years,
though, and he's now nearly as good as Colin Baker was on TV.
Post by The Doctor
He hadto deal with a mess surrounding him.
Very true. However that actually helped him. With decent direction, story
editing, guest casting and production values, he'd have stood out like a
sore thumb as The Weakest Link.
What Peter Capaldi described where? About what?
The Doctor
2017-06-19 20:38:15 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
["Survival"]
Post by The Doctor
Similar to what Peter Capaldi described.
What Peter Capaldi described where? About what?
Capaldi is quitting because he feels no support from the BBC.

Just Google that if you do not belive me.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Tim Bruening
So Peter Capaldi is joining the uprising!
The Doctor
2017-06-19 20:57:59 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
["Survival"]
Post by The Doctor
Similar to what Peter Capaldi described.
What Peter Capaldi described where? About what?
Capaldi is quitting because he feels no support from the BBC.
Just Google that if you do not belive me.
So Peter Capaldi is joining the uprising!
What uprising?
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Tim Bruening
The uprising led by Agamemnon against PC loony casting and gratuitous gay relationships. I am imagining him and other fans waving their sonic screwdrivers as they march on the BBC HQ! They might be joined by hordes of model Daleks. Some might be dressed up as Cybermen and other Doctor Who aliens. They might be drawing along models of blue police boxes in wagons.
The Doctor
2017-06-19 22:53:18 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
["Survival"]
Post by The Doctor
Similar to what Peter Capaldi described.
What Peter Capaldi described where? About what?
Capaldi is quitting because he feels no support from the BBC.
Just Google that if you do not belive me.
So Peter Capaldi is joining the uprising!
What uprising?
The uprising led by Agamemnon against PC loony casting and gratuitous
gay relationships. I am imagining him and other fans waving their sonic
screwdrivers as they march on the BBC HQ! They might be joined by
hordes of model Daleks. Some might be dressed up as Cybermen and other
Doctor Who aliens. They might be drawing along models of blue police
boxes in wagons.
Mike, I beleive we can sanely say no such event exists.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Tim Bruening
I nominate Agememmon to organize that event. He seems quite motivated!
The Doctor
2017-06-20 04:34:08 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
["Survival"]
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Similar to what Peter Capaldi described.
What Peter Capaldi described where? About what?
Capaldi is quitting because he feels no support from the BBC.
Just Google that if you do not belive me.
So Peter Capaldi is joining the uprising!
What uprising?
The uprising led by Agamemnon against PC loony casting and gratuitous
gay relationships. I am imagining him and other fans waving their sonic
screwdrivers as they march on the BBC HQ! They might be joined by
hordes of model Daleks. Some might be dressed up as Cybermen and other
Doctor Who aliens. They might be drawing along models of blue police
boxes in wagons.
Mike, I beleive we can sanely say no such event exists.
I nominate Agememmon to organize that event. He seems quite motivated!
flame alert!
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Last Doctor
2017-06-19 23:49:37 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
["Survival"]
Post by The Doctor
Similar to what Peter Capaldi described.
What Peter Capaldi described where? About what?
Capaldi is quitting because he feels no support from the BBC.
Just Google that if you do not belive me.
So Peter Capaldi is joining the uprising!
What uprising?
The uprising led by Agamemnon against PC loony casting and gratuitous gay
relationships. I am imagining him and other fans waving their sonic
screwdrivers as they march on the BBC HQ! They might be joined by hordes
of model Daleks. Some might be dressed up as Cybermen and other Doctor
Who aliens. They might be drawing along models of blue police boxes in wagons.
I'm absolutely sure that all the fans in the world who agree with Ag will
be with him when he marches. A crowd of as many as one person (including
Ag) can be imagined. It will be big, big, a huge crowd of one. It will be
the largest solo march ever held.
The Doctor
2017-06-20 04:36:28 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
["Survival"]
Post by The Doctor
[...]
We can safely concur.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
The Last Doctor
2017-06-19 21:35:52 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
["Survival"]
Post by The Doctor
Similar to what Peter Capaldi described.
What Peter Capaldi described where? About what?
Capaldi is quitting because he feels no support from the BBC.
Just Google that if you do not belive me.
Here's what he told Graham Norton.

"Doctor Who is a great job but it's a bit of a television factory. You do
twelve episodes a year and I just worry that I wouldn't be able to continue
doing my best work.

Because I like to be able to learn the lines and do some preparation and
come in and give it the vigour and fun. And not hate it.

So I just thought, leave."

And here's what he told the Radio Times this week.

"After three series and four years as the Doctor, Peter Capaldi is soon to
film his last episode of Doctor Who. For a lifelong fan of the show,
leaving can't be easy and yet the actor says his decision is based on his
determination to only give his best to the part.

"I love this show, but I've never done anything where you turn up every day
for ten months," says Capaldi in the new issue of Radio Times magazine. "I
want to always be giving it my best and I don't think if I stayed on I'd be
able to do that. I can't think of another way to say, 'This could be the
end of civilisation as we know it.'"Capaldi adds that the cyclical
structure of Doctor Who means that it is not necessarily something that an
actor seeking new challenges would want to work on indefinitely."

"With episodic television of any genre, the audience wants the same thing
all the time," he says. "But the instinct that leads the actor is not about
being in a groove."

Not one word about "support". Just a man who has worked hard and doesn't
think he can bring anything new any more to a show he loves.

At least we know he'll be up for multi Doctor stories in the future.
The Doctor
2017-06-19 22:16:06 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
["Survival"]
Post by The Doctor
[...]
LEt us hope that is the case.
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
J. Clarke
2017-06-20 02:13:24 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
["Survival"]
Post by The Doctor
[...]
Why does it take the Beeb ten months shooting every day to make 12
episodes?
Siri Cruise
2017-06-20 02:38:21 UTC
Post by J. Clarke
Post by The Last Doctor
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
["Survival"]
Post by The Doctor
[...]
No budget for overtime?
'I desire mercy, not sacrifice.' /|\
Free the Amos Yee one. This post / \
Yeah, too bad about your so-called life. Ha-ha. insults Islam. Mohammed
The Last Doctor
Tea breaks.
The Doctor
2017-06-18 23:13:23 UTC
Post by The Other Doctor
Post by The Last Doctor
[...]
What about the big puffy hair?
Talk Sense to a fool and he calls you foolish - Euripides
Tim Bruening
2017-06-19 16:13:03 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Better head underground for safety....
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
There isn't a great deal to say about this episode. Plot: in the second
century AD, in what will one day be Aberdeenshire, a small Pictish tribe
has somehow charged itself with keeping closed a dimensional rift, on the
far side of which live strange alien monsters that kill with darkness and
absorb light.
How have they survived for 6 weeks in combat against a monster that wiped out an entire Legion in less than an hour?
The Last Doctor
2017-06-19 16:52:12 UTC
Post by The Last Doctor
Until one day the young witch guardian lets out a monster to defeat an
invading Roman legion. Enter the Doctor, Bill and Nardole who convince the
few surviving Romans and Picts to work together to pen up the escaped
monster and keep the rift closed.
There's a time differential in the rift. By my rough calculations, every
year the humans can survive in the rift will keep it closed for 15,000
years. So we're not safe forever- but it's a good stopgap. As a young girl
is still hearing the music 1,900 years later, they've survived for ooh, six
weeks so far.
How have they survived for 6 weeks in combat against a monster that wiped
out an entire Legion in less than an hour?
They have their magnifying glasses.