1st Season Dr. Who - The Doctor's Dance - 5 star poll - SPOILERS AHOY !
g***@comcast.net
2006-05-13 02:09:25 UTC
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who

5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)

0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)

-George
SoHillsGuy
2006-05-13 02:21:47 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
Actually, it's "The Doctor Dances"....

and it was 4.9
Michael Bowker
2006-05-13 05:24:11 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
-George
4.3 Just this once everyone LIVES! I so glad that worked, because those
would have been terrible last words!
ANIM8Rfsk
2006-05-13 06:54:56 UTC
Post by Michael Bowker
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
-George
4.3 Just this once everyone LIVES! I so glad that worked, because those
would have been terrible last words!
Yeah.

4.5

It left me smiling. In fact my face hurts from smiling.

What more can you ask?
Ken from Chicago
2006-05-13 10:15:27 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by Michael Bowker
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
-George
4.3 Just this once everyone LIVES! I so glad that worked, because those
would have been terrible last words!
Yeah.
4.5
It left me smiling. In fact my face hurts from smiling.
What more can you ask?
I loved those opening words. It was a nice Doctor answer. Captain Jack
seemed like an American doctor--or at least a British view of an American
doctor.

-- Ken from Chicago
Jack Bohn
2006-05-13 10:49:31 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
It left me smiling. In fact my face hurts from smiling.
The Doctor at his best, throwing in the way he was good with
children from the previous ep, I'm very happy.
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
What more can you ask?
When the ambulance sent out the distress call for its troops, I
wish the light on the panel had been mauve instead of red...
-Jack
ANIM8Rfsk
Ha! Good point!
The Doctor
2006-05-13 16:13:31 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
What more can you ask?
When the ambulance sent out the distress call for its troops, I
wish the light on the panel had been mauve instead of red...
Ha! Good point!
And what about the addition of Captain Jack?
--
Member - Liberal International
This is ***@nl2k.ab.ca Ici ***@nl2k.ab.ca
Arsenal Ahead to win the UEFA CL 2005/2006
Jack Bohn
2006-05-14 14:16:50 UTC
Post by The Doctor
And what about the addition of Captain Jack?
He's a bit annoying. I want to say slightly more annoying than
the Doctor, but that may not be fair. The Doctor gets such a
free pass from familiarity.

I can't help thinking of this year as a sort of essay on what it
takes to be a companion. First of all, open to the wonder and
strangeness of the universe (Mickey turned down twice). Then, a
first impulse to help others rather than personal enrichment
(That fellow they picked up in "Dalek" and dropped off in "The
Long Game"). Does the Captain have what it takes? The Doctor
really didn't pick him; it was only that Rose asked about him
while he was still in the "Everybody lives!" kick.
-Jack
The Doctor
2006-05-14 14:35:35 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by The Doctor
And what about the addition of Captain Jack?
He's a bit annoying. I want to say slightly more annoying than
the Doctor, but that may not be fair. The Doctor gets such a
free pass from familiarity.
I can't help thinking of this year as a sort of essay on what it
takes to be a companion. First of all, open to the wonder and
strangeness of the universe (Mickey turned down twice). Then, a
first impulse to help others rather than personal enrichment
(That fellow they picked up in "Dalek" and dropped off in "The
Long Game"). Does the Captain have what it takes? The Doctor
really didn't pick him; it was only that Rose asked about him
while he was still in the "Everybody lives!" kick.
--
-Jack
Are you calling him Mickey?
Jack Bohn
2006-05-14 19:22:32 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by The Doctor
And what about the addition of Captain Jack?
He's a bit annoying. I want to say slightly more annoying than
the Doctor, but that may not be fair. The Doctor gets such a
free pass from familiarity.
I can't help thinking of this year as a sort of essay on what it
takes to be a companion. First of all, open to the wonder and
strangeness of the universe (Mickey turned down twice).
Are you calling him Mickey?
Ricky? I think he knows his own name!
-Jack
The Evil Toad
2006-05-14 21:35:58 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
I can't help thinking of this year as a sort of essay on what it
takes to be a companion. First of all, open to the wonder and
strangeness of the universe (Mickey turned down twice). Then, a
first impulse to help others rather than personal enrichment
(That fellow they picked up in "Dalek" and dropped off in "The
Long Game"). Does the Captain have what it takes? The Doctor
really didn't pick him; it was only that Rose asked about him
while he was still in the "Everybody lives!" kick.
I'd add the ability to take responsibility for one's actions to the
"desirable traits of a companion" list. Captain Jack was willing to
sacrifice his life to fix the problem he'd caused in the first place, and I
think that was the reason the Doctor didn't just drop him off in the middle
of nowhere after the rescue.

The Doctor was also aware of the probable consequences of deflecting the
bomb when he prodded Captain Jack into action. Perhaps he wanted to see if
the Captain would balk at the task?
--
This is a veritable piƱata of idiocy. No matter where
you hit it, something stupid falls out.
-- josephine_the_2nd, a.s.c
The Doctor
2006-05-14 21:37:10 UTC
Post by The Evil Toad
Post by Jack Bohn
[...]
Captain Jack was behaving like a mercenary at the start.
ANIM8Rfsk
Wait - doesn't red mean PARTY? That works too.
The Doctor
Tim Bruening
2006-05-14 12:25:27 UTC
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
What more can you ask?
When the ambulance sent out the distress call for its troops, I
wish the light on the panel had been mauve instead of red...
Wait - doesn't red mean PARTY? That works too.
Humans use red to indicate emergencies, so red would be appropriate for
the situation.
Neil Sullivan
2006-05-14 16:17:30 UTC
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
Post by ANIM8Rfsk
What more can you ask?
When the ambulance sent out the distress call for its troops, I
wish the light on the panel had been mauve instead of red...
Wait - doesn't red mean PARTY? That works too.
Humans use red to indicate emergencies, so red would be appropriate for
the situation.
The ambulance wasn't built by humans. In the previous episode the Doctor had
said it 's just humans who use red to indicate emergencies, whereas the
universal colour is mauve.
pv+ (Paul Vader)
2006-05-15 16:31:20 UTC
Post by Neil Sullivan
The ambulance wasn't built by humans. In the previous episode the Doctor had
said it 's just humans who use red to indicate emergencies, whereas the
universal colour is mauve.
Not even all HUMANS use red to indicate emergencies. In China, red means
good luck, and is the color of bridal attire. *
like corkscrews.
Tim Bruening
Why?
whodunit
2006-05-13 06:46:07 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
-George
5.0+!!
Tim Bruening
2006-05-13 09:26:15 UTC
Post by whodunit
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
-George
5.0+!!
Me too!!!!!!
h***@animail.net
2006-05-13 16:51:08 UTC
5.0 again.

I absolutely loved this particular story, even though I did guess the
whole "mummy" issue long before the Doctor did. Definitely gets the
award for most terrifying use of a gas mask in television history.

himiko
The Doctor
2006-05-13 22:17:17 UTC
Post by h***@animail.net
5.0 again.
I absolutely loved this particular story, even though I did guess the
whole "mummy" issue long before the Doctor did. Definitely gets the
award for most terrifying use of a gas mask in television history.
himiko
4.5 reason Why capture Jack?4.5 reason Why capture Jack?4.5 reason Why capture Jack?4.5 reason Why capture Jack?
Captain Infinity
2006-05-13 23:25:11 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by h***@animail.net
5.0 again.
I absolutely loved this particular story, even though I did guess the
whole "mummy" issue long before the Doctor did. Definitely gets the
award for most terrifying use of a gas mask in television history.
himiko
4.5 reason Why capture Jack?4.5 reason Why capture Jack?4.5
reason Why capture Jack?4.5 reason Why capture Jack?
Hold your breath and drink a glass of water. It'll clear those hiccups
right up.

**
Captain Infinity
Monsieur Tabernac
2006-05-13 23:31:54 UTC
Post by h***@animail.net
I absolutely loved this particular story, even though I did guess the
whole "mummy" issue long before the Doctor did. Definitely gets the
award for most terrifying use of a gas mask in television history.
I found the gas-masked soldier in the matrix sequence of "The Deadly
Assassin" a bit scarier. Of course, I was only 6 years old when that
first aired!
The Doctor
2006-05-13 23:55:43 UTC
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by The Doctor
Post by h***@animail.net
5.0 again.
I absolutely loved this particular story, even though I did guess the
whole "mummy" issue long before the Doctor did. Definitely gets the
award for most terrifying use of a gas mask in television history.
himiko
4.5 reason Why capture Jack?4.5 reason Why capture Jack?4.5
reason Why capture Jack?4.5 reason Why capture Jack?
Hold your breath and drink a glass of water. It'll clear those hiccups
right up.
A case of quick keys.
The Face of Po
2006-05-14 09:00:44 UTC
I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
Post by The Doctor
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by The Doctor
Post by h***@animail.net
5.0 again.
I absolutely loved this particular story, even though I did guess the
whole "mummy" issue long before the Doctor did. Definitely gets the
award for most terrifying use of a gas mask in television history.
4.5 reason Why capture Jack?4.5 reason Why capture Jack?4.5
reason Why capture Jack?4.5 reason Why capture Jack?
Hold your breath and drink a glass of water. It'll clear those hiccups
right up.
A case of quick keys.
You started typing in command mode again, didn't you? Take HALF A
SECOND to look at what you're doing and you'll look so much less of an
idiot.

Anyway, where in that episode did anybody capture Jack?
--
Remove caps to communicate more easily.

"twat ... bogey nosed newbie" - Steve F
"a prize prick ... lol" - FairPlay
"another person for the killfile" - DBurns
"Go eat Raspberries! ... anyone recalls WWII?" - The Doctor
The Doctor
2006-05-14 13:12:34 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by The Doctor
Post by h***@animail.net
5.0 again.
I absolutely loved this particular story, even though I did guess the
whole "mummy" issue long before the Doctor did. Definitely gets the
award for most terrifying use of a gas mask in television history.
4.5 reason Why capture Jack?4.5 reason Why capture Jack?4.5
reason Why capture Jack?4.5 reason Why capture Jack?
Hold your breath and drink a glass of water. It'll clear those hiccups
right up.
A case of quick keys.
You started typing in command mode again, didn't you? Take HALF A
SECOND to look at what you're doing and you'll look so much less of an
idiot.
Anyway, where in that episode did anybody capture Jack?
At the end when the Doctor was Dancing.
Tim Bruening
All I saw was Jack getting rescued from his bomb laden space ship!
The Face of Po
2006-05-14 14:41:10 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by The Face of Po
I was hanging out with the cool kids in rec.arts.drwho when
Post by The Doctor
Why capture Jack?
[...]
Anyway, where in that episode did anybody capture Jack?
At the end when the Doctor was Dancing.
That was "rescue", not "capture".

Tim Bruening

The Doctor was saving Jack from that German bomb, not kidnapping him.
The Doctor
p***@aol.com
2006-05-13 18:00:06 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
4.8. Excellent episode!

Some things I noticed:

1. The Doctor solves the mystery, is the hero, saves the day, nobody
dies--just as it should be (for once). I suspect the Doctor truly being
in character is one of the reasons everybody likes this story so much.

2. Excellent acting all around. We expect that from Eccleston, but the
Nancy character was very good. Captain Jack was also very good. At
times his grin reminded me of Tom Cruise--anybody else get that vibe?
For once Rose didn't have that big of a part and could be another
reason why people really like this one.

3. Once the explanation was made for the gas-masked zombies the plot
made sense. Lots of potential loose ends were tied up and explained.
The reason why Rose had to grap onto the tether for the balloon and go
floating away makes sense in retrospect, she needed to get the rope
burns so Jack could heal them with nano-technology, thus providing the
viewers a clue as to reasons behind the gas masks. I'm pleased that I
wasn't able to solve the mystery ahead of time. Thank you Stephen
Moffat for the subtle script.

Nit-picking time. Jack's sonic gun was a bit much of a plot convenience
for them to escape--blasting square shaped holes in walls and floors
and then reintegrating them back in place in a split second. The sexual
innuendo is not my cup of tea. There was no need for the homeowner
whose house Nancy was raiding for food to be outed as having an affair
with the butcher, nor was there a valid reason for it to be Jack
distracting the guard at the downed cylinder site. Neither was it
necessary for the Doctor to point out (rather gleefully) that people of
the 51st century are more "flexible with their dancing" than nowadays.
Thankfully, the script used the dancing metaphor for sex and didn't
come right out and say it.

All in all, a great episode.
Middlebrow
2006-05-13 22:23:11 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
The sexual
innuendo is not my cup of tea. There was no need for the homeowner
whose house Nancy was raiding for food to be outed as having an affair
with the butcher, nor was there a valid reason for it to be Jack
distracting the guard at the downed cylinder site. Neither was it
necessary for the Doctor to point out (rather gleefully) that people of
the 51st century are more "flexible with their dancing" than nowadays.
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but the idea that people of the future are
less hung-up about this sort of thing rings true to me. Jack swinging both
ways made me feel as if the show is actually considering what life in the
far-future might look like and not timid about putting that out there. I
say, good show (eh wot?)!
whodunit
2006-05-14 00:20:55 UTC
Post by Middlebrow
Post by p***@aol.com
The sexual
innuendo is not my cup of tea. There was no need for the homeowner
whose house Nancy was raiding for food to be outed as having an affair
with the butcher, nor was there a valid reason for it to be Jack
distracting the guard at the downed cylinder site. Neither was it
necessary for the Doctor to point out (rather gleefully) that people of
the 51st century are more "flexible with their dancing" than nowadays.
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but the idea that people of the future are
less hung-up about this sort of thing rings true to me. Jack swinging both
ways made me feel as if the show is actually considering what life in the
far-future might look like and not timid about putting that out there. I
say, good show (eh wot?)!
Oh, Lord, I can't wait for the reviews from Parting of the Ways if this
is a big problem already! :-)
Captain Infinity
2006-05-14 01:13:58 UTC
Post by whodunit
Post by Middlebrow
Post by p***@aol.com
[...]
Let me get this straight (so to speak)...in the Doctor Who universe they
haven't found a cure for homosexuality yet? Even Roddenberry's "Star
Trek" universe had that problem solved.

Yeesh, and I thought a malfunctioning "time indicator" was a plot hole.

**
Captain Infinity
Crowfoot
2006-05-14 06:01:41 UTC
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by Middlebrow
Post by p***@aol.com
[...]
No; they've clearly found a cure for homophobia, though.

The Doctor
2006-05-14 13:06:36 UTC
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by Middlebrow
Post by p***@aol.com
[...]
LEt the Nazis take charge.
Jaime M. de Castellvi
2006-05-15 11:06:56 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by Middlebrow
Post by p***@aol.com
[...]
Hah, Alberta! Ain't nothing in Alberta but steers and queers!

Now, Ontario, on the other hand... : )

Cheers,

Jaime
The Doctor
2006-05-15 12:22:26 UTC
Post by Middlebrow
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by Middlebrow
say, good show (eh wot?)!
Oh, Lord, I can't wait for the reviews from Parting of the Ways if this
is a big problem already! :-)
Let me get this straight (so to speak)...in the Doctor Who universe they
haven't found a cure for homosexuality yet? Even Roddenberry's "Star
Trek" universe had that problem solved.
Yeesh, and I thought a malfunctioning "time indicator" was a plot hole.
**
Captain Infinity
No; they've clearly found a cure for homophobia, though.
LEt the Nazis take charge.
Hah, Alberta! Ain't nothing in Alberta but steers and queers!
Now, Ontario, on the other hand... : )
Are you from Yankville?
Jaime M. de Castellvi
2006-05-15 19:30:52 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by Middlebrow
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by Middlebrow
say, good show (eh wot?)!
Oh, Lord, I can't wait for the reviews from Parting of the Ways if this
is a big problem already! :-)
Let me get this straight (so to speak)...in the Doctor Who universe they
haven't found a cure for homosexuality yet? Even Roddenberry's "Star
Trek" universe had that problem solved.
Yeesh, and I thought a malfunctioning "time indicator" was a plot hole.
**
Captain Infinity
No; they've clearly found a cure for homophobia, though.
LEt the Nazis take charge.
Hah, Alberta! Ain't nothing in Alberta but steers and queers!
Now, Ontario, on the other hand... : )
Are you from Yankville?
The truth you are asking for is far more complicated than you could
imagine.

Cheers,

Jaime
The Doctor
2006-05-15 20:48:14 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by The Doctor
Post by Middlebrow
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by The Doctor
Post by Middlebrow
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by The Doctor
Post by Middlebrow
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by Middlebrow
say, good show (eh wot?)!
Oh, Lord, I can't wait for the reviews from Parting of the Ways if this
is a big problem already! :-)
Let me get this straight (so to speak)...in the Doctor Who universe they
haven't found a cure for homosexuality yet? Even Roddenberry's "Star
Trek" universe had that problem solved.
Yeesh, and I thought a malfunctioning "time indicator" was a plot hole.
**
Captain Infinity
No; they've clearly found a cure for homophobia, though.
LEt the Nazis take charge.
Hah, Alberta! Ain't nothing in Alberta but steers and queers!
Now, Ontario, on the other hand... : )
Are you from Yankville?
The truth you are asking for is far more complicated than you could
imagine.
You are from Calgary.
Jaime M. de Castellvi
2006-05-16 00:32:11 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by The Doctor
Post by Middlebrow
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by The Doctor
Post by Middlebrow
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by The Doctor
Post by Middlebrow
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by The Doctor
Post by Crowfoot
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by Middlebrow
say, good show (eh wot?)!
Oh, Lord, I can't wait for the reviews from Parting of the Ways if this
is a big problem already! :-)
Let me get this straight (so to speak)...in the Doctor Who universe they
haven't found a cure for homosexuality yet? Even Roddenberry's "Star
Trek" universe had that problem solved.
Yeesh, and I thought a malfunctioning "time indicator" was a plot hole.
**
Captain Infinity
No; they've clearly found a cure for homophobia, though.
LEt the Nazis take charge.
Hah, Alberta! Ain't nothing in Alberta but steers and queers!
Now, Ontario, on the other hand... : )
Are you from Yankville?
The truth you are asking for is far more complicated than you could
imagine.
You are from Calgary.
Sorry, wrong planet.

Cheers,

Jaime
Tim Bruening
Why is a cure needed?
The Doctor
2006-05-14 12:59:24 UTC
Post by Captain Infinity
Post by whodunit
Post by Middlebrow
Post by p***@aol.com
[...]
You got that right.
p***@aol.com
2006-05-14 02:58:18 UTC
Post by whodunit
Post by Middlebrow
Post by p***@aol.com
[...]
Obviously it's not a BIG problem for me, after all I gave a 4.8 out of
5.0 review and I prefaced my comment by calling it nit-picking....

One of the things about the classic series that I admired was that
there was no sexual content, none. It was one of the few TV shows that
didn't go there. I thought it was refreshing.
pv+ (Paul Vader)
2006-05-15 16:34:40 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
One of the things about the classic series that I admired was that
there was no sexual content, none. It was one of the few TV shows that
Um, what show were you watching? Obviously not Doctor Who. *
like corkscrews.
p***@aol.com
2006-05-15 16:47:51 UTC
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by p***@aol.com
One of the things about the classic series that I admired was that
there was no sexual content, none. It was one of the few TV shows that
Um, what show were you watching? Obviously not Doctor Who. *
Feel free to point out in the classic series where someone alleged that
a man was sleeping around with the butcher, or where a character said
"nice bottom" and patted a man on the bum, or where anybody slow danced
with anyone. Have at it.
Diane L
2006-05-15 17:06:59 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by p***@aol.com
One of the things about the classic series that I admired was that
there was no sexual content, none. It was one of the few TV shows that
Um, what show were you watching? Obviously not Doctor Who. *
Feel free to point out in the classic series where someone alleged
that a man was sleeping around with the butcher,
OK, I'm obviously in an even smaller minority than I thought, but just
for the heck of it I'll say it one more time. While I can see why some
people thought Nancy was accusing the man of sleeping with the
butcher, that wasn't what I thought she meant. I thought he was
involved in the black market, which could carry the death penalty at
the time; would explain why he and his family could eat so well; was
a credible threat for her to report to the police (because, really, some
homeless girl claiming this fine upstanding citizen was having an
affaire with the butcher would have been lucky not to be arrested
herself, whereas they would have been very interested in finding out
about black marketeering); and most importantly, explained why she
knew she could get wire cutters from him, and why mentioning them
worried him so much.

Diane L.
BTR1701
That's pretty much how I took it as well.
p***@aol.com
2006-05-15 17:37:47 UTC
Post by Diane L
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by p***@aol.com
[...]
Except that Nancy says to the guy, "the neighbors suspect you have so
much food because your wife has been carrying on with the butcher but
in truth it is you that has been seeing the butcher. That's your
secret." And Nancy wasn't reporting him to the police, he had already
called the police to have Nancy arrested for looting.
BTR1701
2006-05-15 17:29:34 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by p***@aol.com
One of the things about the classic series that I admired was that
there was no sexual content, none. It was one of the few TV shows that
Um, what show were you watching? Obviously not Doctor Who. *
Feel free to point out in the classic series where someone alleged that
a man was sleeping around with the butcher, or where a character said
"nice bottom" and patted a man on the bum, or where anybody slow danced
with anyone. Have at it.
Dude, if you think the dancing that was portrayed in that episode last
week qualifies as "sexual content", then the word "repressed" doesn't
even begin to describe you.
p***@aol.com
2006-05-15 18:00:49 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by p***@aol.com
One of the things about the classic series that I admired was that
there was no sexual content, none. It was one of the few TV shows that
Um, what show were you watching? Obviously not Doctor Who. *
Feel free to point out in the classic series where someone alleged that
a man was sleeping around with the butcher, or where a character said
"nice bottom" and patted a man on the bum, or where anybody slow danced
with anyone. Have at it.
Dude, if you think the dancing that was portrayed in that episode last
week qualifies as "sexual content", then the word "repressed" doesn't
even begin to describe you.
Dude, I'm so glad that you can diagnose my sexual life from one post on
usenet. And no, normally slow dancing is not sexual content, although
dancing was used as a metaphor for sex in this episode.
BTR1701
2006-05-15 19:56:45 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by BTR1701
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by p***@aol.com
One of the things about the classic series that I admired was that
there was no sexual content, none. It was one of the few TV shows that
Um, what show were you watching? Obviously not Doctor Who. *
Feel free to point out in the classic series where someone alleged that
a man was sleeping around with the butcher, or where a character said
"nice bottom" and patted a man on the bum, or where anybody slow danced
with anyone. Have at it.
Dude, if you think the dancing that was portrayed in that episode last
week qualifies as "sexual content", then the word "repressed" doesn't
even begin to describe you.
Dude, I'm so glad that you can diagnose my sexual life from one post
Dude, I did no such thing. I "diagnosed" your attitude toward sex. I
have no idea what your sex life is like, nor do I care.
That's quite a radical interpretation of the text.
p***@aol.com
2006-05-15 20:33:02 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by p***@aol.com
And no, normally slow dancing is not sexual content, although
dancing was used as a metaphor for sex in this episode.
That's quite a radical interpretation of the text.
You disagree that dancing was not a metaphor for sex? When Rose
volunteered to distract the guard at the bomb site, Jack steps in
saying that he knows Algy and that he's not Rose's type. The Doctor
then says that people of the 51st century are more flexible when it
comes to dancing.

Also earlier in the episode when the Doctor and Rose are trying to
escape from a hospital room Rose comments that the Doctor and Jack are
a lot alike except that Jack dances whereas the Doctor doesn't. Rose
gives the Doctor a suggestive look and invites him to dance. They are
so involved in their dance that they don't notice they'd been
transported onto Jack's ship.
BTR1701
Not the actual dancing bits, no. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
p***@aol.com
2006-05-15 21:37:00 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by p***@aol.com
You disagree that dancing was not a metaphor for sex?
Not the actual dancing bits, no. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I hear ya, but how do you explain the fact that while the Doctor and
Rose were slow-dancing they didn't even know they had been transported
into Jack's ship?
The Face of Po
2006-05-15 22:34:31 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by BTR1701
Post by p***@aol.com
You disagree that dancing was not a metaphor for sex?
Not the actual dancing bits, no. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I hear ya, but how do you explain the fact that while the Doctor and
Rose were slow-dancing they didn't even know they had been transported
into Jack's ship?
I think you're reading too much into that particular example. Metaphor
for shagging, fair enough, but having a similar effect on their
concentration? I reckon it's just that they were worrying too much
about where to put their feet.

BTR1701
2006-05-15 23:54:03 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by BTR1701
Post by p***@aol.com
You disagree that dancing was not a metaphor for sex?
Not the actual dancing bits, no. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
I hear ya, but how do you explain the fact that while the Doctor and
Rose were slow-dancing they didn't even know they had been transported
into Jack's ship?
Because it was instantaneous and they weren't necessarily paying rapt
attention to what was going on around them. (Doesn't mean they were
having simulated sex or anything. Same thing would have happened if
they'd have been watching an entertaining show on the tube.) I didn't
even know they'd been transported at first. Took me a second or two to
figure it out as well.
The Face of Po
2006-05-15 20:39:52 UTC
Post by BTR1701
Post by p***@aol.com
And no, normally slow dancing is not sexual content, although
dancing was used as a metaphor for sex in this episode.
That's quite a radical interpretation of the text.
Hardly; the conversation between the Doctor and Rose, while Jack is off
distracting the guard, is quite clearly using the word "dancing" as a
euphemism for sex. The other occurrences of the word in the episode
(including the title) are possibly meant to be knowing winks to this.

Tim Bruening
2006-05-16 07:13:50 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by p***@aol.com
One of the things about the classic series that I admired was that
there was no sexual content, none. It was one of the few TV shows that
Um, what show were you watching? Obviously not Doctor Who. *
Feel free to point out in the classic series where someone alleged that
a man was sleeping around with the butcher, or where a character said
"nice bottom" and patted a man on the bum, or where anybody slow danced
with anyone. Have at it.
I did see companions falling in love and kissing their new SOs.

Jack Bohn
2006-05-14 15:17:14 UTC
Post by Middlebrow
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but the idea that people of the future are
less hung-up about this sort of thing rings true to me. Jack swinging both
ways made me feel as if the show is actually considering what life in the
far-future might look like
Swinging "both" ways?!? A remnant of prejudice is showing,
there. The Captain swings _all_ ways. As explicitly said in
this episode (and preceded by Cassandra the last human's disdain
for those who "mingled") humans of the future are very adaptable.

Speaking of "old-fashioned," it struck me while writing this that
Captain Jack may be the Whoniverse's take on Captain Kirk. They
even used the phrase, "Seek out new life and..." How long will
he call the Doctor, "Spock"?
-Jack
Middlebrow
2006-05-14 15:55:51 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Middlebrow
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but the idea that people of the future are
less hung-up about this sort of thing rings true to me. Jack swinging both
ways made me feel as if the show is actually considering what life in the
far-future might look like
Swinging "both" ways?!? A remnant of prejudice is showing,
there. The Captain swings _all_ ways. As explicitly said in
this episode (and preceded by Cassandra the last human's disdain
for those who "mingled") humans of the future are very adaptable.
I see what you mean. I really am old-fashioned! So what do we call someone
who has sex with every sentient species and gender? I think pan- and omni-
include animals and I don't think even Jack goes there. Or am I being
old-fashioned again? :-)
Good catch! I can't believe it didn't hit me before.
Jack Bohn
2006-05-14 19:22:38 UTC
Post by Middlebrow
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Middlebrow
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but the idea that people of the future are
less hung-up about this sort of thing rings true to me. Jack swinging both
ways made me feel as if the show is actually considering what life in the
far-future might look like
Swinging "both" ways?!? A remnant of prejudice is showing,
there. The Captain swings _all_ ways. As explicitly said in
this episode (and preceded by Cassandra the last human's disdain
for those who "mingled") humans of the future are very adaptable.
I see what you mean. I really am old-fashioned! So what do we call someone
who has sex with every sentient species and gender? I think pan- and omni-
include animals and I don't think even Jack goes there. Or am I being
old-fashioned again? :-)
Old fashioned again! Animal, vegetable, OR mineral, baby!
-Jack
whodunit
2006-05-15 06:41:26 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Middlebrow
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Middlebrow
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but the idea that people of the future are
less hung-up about this sort of thing rings true to me. Jack swinging both
ways made me feel as if the show is actually considering what life in the
far-future might look like
Swinging "both" ways?!? A remnant of prejudice is showing,
there. The Captain swings _all_ ways. As explicitly said in
this episode (and preceded by Cassandra the last human's disdain
for those who "mingled") humans of the future are very adaptable.
I see what you mean. I really am old-fashioned! So what do we call someone
who has sex with every sentient species and gender? I think pan- and omni-
include animals and I don't think even Jack goes there. Or am I being
old-fashioned again? :-)
Old fashioned again! Animal, vegetable, OR mineral, baby!
Didn't you get the feeling that if Jabe (the tree woman) hadn't had what
happened to her happen (trying to avoid spoilers!) that she and the
Doctor might have...
er, 'danced' at some point in the future? There definitely was chemistry
there!
Monsieur Tabernac
Absolutely. I definitely saw some wood there.
The Doctor
Crowfoot
2006-05-14 22:43:16 UTC
Post by Jack Bohn
Post by Middlebrow
Maybe I'm just old-fashioned, but the idea that people of the future are
less hung-up about this sort of thing rings true to me. Jack swinging both
ways made me feel as if the show is actually considering what life in the
far-future might look like
Swinging "both" ways?!? A remnant of prejudice is showing,
there. The Captain swings _all_ ways. As explicitly said in
this episode (and preceded by Cassandra the last human's disdain
for those who "mingled") humans of the future are very adaptable.
Speaking of "old-fashioned," it struck me while writing this that
Captain Jack may be the Whoniverse's take on Captain Kirk. They
even used the phrase, "Seek out new life and..." How long will
he call the Doctor, "Spock"?
Isn't there a lovely, dark story by Tiptree about this very issue, in
which it is remarked that there are humans who hang around
spaceports as groupies of the aliens passing through to solicit sex,
because that's how humans are -- sex mad?

Suzy
The Doctor
2006-05-13 22:22:19 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
4.8. Excellent episode!
[...]
Nice nanites for you!
Middlebrow
2006-05-13 23:46:27 UTC
Post by The Doctor
Post by p***@aol.com
All in all, a great episode.
Nice nanites for you!
One tiny (heehee) nit: since our glowing friends are subatomic in size, why
does their storage need a hollow space? While I appreciate the interweaving
of the theme of emptiness, I'd just like it to fit together better.
The Doctor
2006-05-13 23:56:40 UTC
Post by Middlebrow
Post by The Doctor
Post by p***@aol.com
All in all, a great episode.
Nice nanites for you!
One tiny (heehee) nit: since our glowing friends are subatomic in size, why
does their storage need a hollow space? While I appreciate the interweaving
of the theme of emptiness, I'd just like it to fit together better.
Still it works for me.
Ewan Villiers
2006-05-14 11:27:53 UTC
Post by Middlebrow
Post by The Doctor
Post by p***@aol.com
All in all, a great episode.
Nice nanites for you!
One tiny (heehee) nit: since our glowing friends are subatomic in size, why
does their storage need a hollow space? While I appreciate the interweaving
of the theme of emptiness, I'd just like it to fit together better.
I thought it was so you could fit a body in the ambulance?

Ewan
Tim Bruening
Because there are a very, very, very large number of them?
The Doctor
Neil Sullivan
Enough to cure a whole planet full of people, I think the Doctor said.
The Doctor
2006-05-14 21:36:34 UTC
Post by Middlebrow
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Middlebrow
Post by Tim Bruening
Post by Middlebrow
of the theme of emptiness, I'd just like it to fit together better.
Because there are a very, very, very large number of them?
Enough to cure a whole planet full of people, I think the Doctor said.
Enough to cure Planet Earth.
Tim Bruening
2006-05-14 12:29:07 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
4.8. Excellent episode!
[...]
IMHO, the Doctor should get some of those healing nanites for use on
injuried companions, and also to avoid having to regenerate.
Post by p***@aol.com
Nit-picking time. Jack's sonic gun was a bit much of a plot convenience
for them to escape--blasting square shaped holes in walls and floors
and then reintegrating them back in place in a split second. The sexual
innuendo is not my cup of tea. There was no need for the homeowner
whose house Nancy was raiding for food to be outed as having an affair
with the butcher, nor was there a valid reason for it to be Jack
distracting the guard at the downed cylinder site. Neither was it
necessary for the Doctor to point out (rather gleefully) that people of
the 51st century are more "flexible with their dancing" than nowadays.
Thankfully, the script used the dancing metaphor for sex and didn't
come right out and say it.
At the end, the Doctor was dancing with Rose. Do you expect Rose and the
Doctor to be making love soon?:)
pv+ (Paul Vader)
2006-05-15 16:33:07 UTC
Post by p***@aol.com
Nit-picking time. Jack's sonic gun was a bit much of a plot convenience
for them to escape--blasting square shaped holes in walls and floors
and then reintegrating them back in place in a split second. The sexual
Well, he is using 51st century equipment. And the "sonic envy" byplay was
some of the best stuff in the show. *
like corkscrews.
David B
2006-05-13 18:59:02 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
-George
4.25
Hobart Floyt
2006-05-14 09:12:28 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
4.75 stars (Marius Petipa)

Once again this show can get totally creepy and
scary and hysterically funny and emotionally moving
all within five minutes.

Whoever wrote the line "Life is nature's way of
keeping meat fresh" should get a bonus.

And I'm a total push-over for dance scenes
with snappy repartee.
The Doctor
Tim Bruening
2006-05-14 12:23:42 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
I don't recognize either of those dancers.

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9
10
11
12
13
14
15
16
17
18
19
20
21
22
23
24
25

In this episode, the Doctor determines that the army of gas masked
zombies pleading for their Mommies resulted from nanogenes escaping from
an alien ambulance, finding and fixing up a dead boy wearing a gas mask,
thinking that all humans are supposed to look like that boy, and thus
transforming every person they infected to look like that boy with the
gas mask. The Doctor introduces the nanogenes to the boy's healthy
mother to give them a more accurate template, and programs the nanogenes
to restore their victims to normal human appearance and then shut down
(so that they won't alter the course of human history).

What would have happened if those nanogenes (programmed to heal alien
soldiers so that they can return to the fight) had first encountered a
normal healthy human after leaving the ambulance ship? Would the
nanogenes have healed injured soldiers on both sides and imbued them
with increased fighting zeal, thus extending and intensifying World War
Two? Would Nazi concentration camp victims have risen from the dead and
attacked their killers?

Would the nanogenes have gotten into the cemeteries and resurrected the
recently buried?

How bad an injury can the nanogenes repair? Can they regrow severed
heads? Can they reassemble those who have been cremated?

How would radiation from an atomic bomb affect the nanogenes?
Jaime M. de Castellvi
2006-05-14 14:19:06 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
5 stars (G.M. Balanchine)
0-1 stars (E.M. Benes)
-George
4.999999999999.... aw, hell... I'll give it a 5.0.

Cheers,

Jaime
The Doctor
StevenA
2006-05-15 00:51:28 UTC
One minor problem. There is a scene showing a tape recorder playing
the voice of the little boy. However, tape recorders were not around
until after World War II, at least not outside Germany. Recordings
were made on magnetic wires or on the old style grammaphone cylinders.
p***@aol.com
2006-05-15 01:13:13 UTC
Post by StevenA
One minor problem. There is a scene showing a tape recorder playing
the voice of the little boy. However, tape recorders were not around
until after World War II, at least not outside Germany. Recordings
were made on magnetic wires or on the old style grammaphone cylinders.
Yes! Good catch. I remember my Dad had a reel-to-reel wire recorder
when I was a youngster.
Elvis Gump
2006-05-15 01:19:43 UTC
Post by StevenA
One minor problem. There is a scene showing a tape recorder playing
the voice of the little boy. However, tape recorders were not around
until after World War II, at least not outside Germany. Recordings
were made on magnetic wires or on the old style grammaphone cylinders.
Sometimes in a film such an anachronism is a useful short cut because there
are very few people that have even seen a wire recorder. The only instance I
can think of seeing one in a film might be the "Chinatown" sequel "The Two
Jakes" and it probably mystified most people that didn't know what it was.
--
"There's so much plastic in this culture that vinyl leopard skin is becoming
an endangered synthetic."
-- Lily Tomlin
Shawn Wilson
Dick Tracy had one.
Elvis Gump
2006-05-15 04:25:07 UTC
Post by Shawn Wilson
Post by Elvis Gump
Sometimes in a film such an anachronism is a useful short cut because there
are very few people that have even seen a wire recorder. The only instance I
can think of seeing one in a film might be the "Chinatown" sequel "The Two
Jakes" and it probably mystified most people that didn't know what it was.
Dick Tracy had one.
Do you mean the comics or the abominable Warren Beatty movie?
Again, scour prop houses and see if you can find one to use in a film. Just
pick up a phone and call around. There's a lot of stuff that's harder to
find than you think. Especially something like that recorder which didn't
last long on the scene

One time for a photo-shoot in LA I needed a judges gavel and no prop house
had one for rent back in the early 1990s. There was a place up on Hollywood
Blvd where some dweeb was proud his place had the entire office set from the
then freshly defunct "Hunter" cop show but no gavel. I remember another time
I had to resort to buying a quill pen from a mall gift shop when I couldn't
rent one in LA either.

I found renting props in Hollywood to be hit and miss. Stuff that you think
would be easy to find isn't and vise-versa. I don't know that it might be
any better in England. Or specifically getting it to Cardiff.

That's why I say it's not a terrible anachronism for something like Doctor
Who. Hell look at the old series and the laughable 'futuristic' computers
and sets with all the blinking lights and reel-to-reel tape drives.
--
"Ever wonder if illiterate people get the full effect of alphabet soup?"
-- John Mendoza
Shawn Wilson
2006-05-15 07:03:37 UTC
Post by Elvis Gump
Post by Shawn Wilson
Post by Elvis Gump
Sometimes in a film such an anachronism is a useful short cut because there
are very few people that have even seen a wire recorder. The only instance I
can think of seeing one in a film might be the "Chinatown" sequel "The Two
Jakes" and it probably mystified most people that didn't know what it was.
Dick Tracy had one.
Do you mean the comics or the abominable Warren Beatty movie?
I mean the movie with Warren Beatty that I rather liked. I don't know which
one you're referring to.
The Doctor
2006-05-15 12:18:50 UTC
Post by Shawn Wilson
Post by Elvis Gump
Sometimes in a film such an anachronism is a useful short cut because there
are very few people that have even seen a wire recorder. The only instance I
can think of seeing one in a film might be the "Chinatown" sequel "The Two
Jakes" and it probably mystified most people that didn't know what it was.
Dick Tracy had one.
When did Dick come in?
StevenA
2006-05-15 14:11:04 UTC
I recall wire recorders being used quite frequently on Hogan's Heros.
Don't know if that show is still being rerun anywhere though.
Michael Urban
2006-05-15 14:37:11 UTC
Post by StevenA
I recall wire recorders being used quite frequently on Hogan's Heros.
Don't know if that show is still being rerun anywhere though.
Yes, but in the 1960s, there were still plenty of people who
could recognize a wire recorder.
The Doctor
Neil Sullivan
2006-05-15 13:57:23 UTC
Post by StevenA
One minor problem. There is a scene showing a tape recorder playing
the voice of the little boy. However, tape recorders were not around
until after World War II, at least not outside Germany. Recordings
were made on magnetic wires or on the old style grammaphone cylinders.
IIRC, the writer said that he'd checked beforehand that the reel to reel
tape recorder had actually been invented by then. Unfortunately it hadn't
occurred to him to check *where* it had been invented!
Tim Bruening
2006-05-16 07:10:28 UTC
Post by Neil Sullivan
Post by StevenA
One minor problem. There is a scene showing a tape recorder playing
the voice of the little boy. However, tape recorders were not around
until after World War II, at least not outside Germany. Recordings
were made on magnetic wires or on the old style grammaphone cylinders.
IIRC, the writer said that he'd checked beforehand that the reel to reel
tape recorder had actually been invented by then. Unfortunately it hadn't
occurred to him to check *where* it had been invented!
Wouldn't the reference source he found the date of the tape recorder's
invention in have told him that it had been invented in Germany?
pv+ (Paul Vader)
2006-05-15 16:28:30 UTC
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
It's "The Doctor Dances". And it's a 5.0. His joy at finding a solution
that not only stops the infection, but also saves the lives of everyone
affected for a change, made the episode for me. *
like corkscrews.
The Doctor
2006-05-15 19:16:59 UTC
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
It's "The Doctor Dances". And it's a 5.0. His joy at finding a solution
that not only stops the infection, but also saves the lives of everyone
affected for a change, made the episode for me. *
like corkscrews.
You sir are very gracious.
Tim Bruening
2006-05-16 07:11:44 UTC
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
It's "The Doctor Dances". And it's a 5.0. His joy at finding a solution
that not only stops the infection, but also saves the lives of everyone
affected for a change, made the episode for me. *
Too bad he couldn't let the reprogrammed nanogenes heal everyone on Earth
for fear of messing up the timeline!
Tim Bruening
2006-05-16 07:12:55 UTC
Post by pv+ (Paul Vader)
Post by g***@comcast.net
"The Doctor's Dance"
5-12-06 Dr. Who
It's "The Doctor Dances". And it's a 5.0. His joy at finding a solution
that not only stops the infection, but also saves the lives of everyone
affected for a change, made the episode for me. *
How did the Doctor reprogram the nanogenes, without any sign of a computer
interface?